Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
electlatino

Drives: 2SS with RS and Ground Effects
Complete Exhaust System...HELP ME!!

planning on getting the complete package soon (probably in the next week or two) and need some opinions as to quality

i've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. BBK Brothers CAI, LT headers (hypothetically, since this is california), and x-pipes. would also add the SLP loudmouth II axle back

2. SLP CAI, LT headers (again, hypothetically, since this is california), x-pipes and the Loudmouth II axle back

basically, i'm either going all SLP or all BBK. SLP is more expensive for all the components, even with their 10% off all january purchases.

here's where i need help: i've already listened to many videos of both companies' products, and i think i know which i prefer. but i was curious if any of you had any comments as to quality: quality of the parts, quality of the install, quality of the customer service....good experiences or bad.

and let's assume i'm getting my car tuned too (since i think most would agree that if i'm putting this many parts on, to do so without a tune would be a waste of money)

any opinions or advice is welcome!!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Don't limit yourself to SLP.

First off I believe they are 1 3/4" if I remember and even though you are only talking a few HP most tuners will agree that 1 7/8" is the way to go.

Second....the sound is going to be basically the same no matter what LT you use. The exhaust however will be different. So you could use say a KOOKS LT and still use the SLP LMII. Should sound the same as all SLP.

You should be able to find a less expensive but as good quality header. Do some more research. Look at all of the more popular Mfgs.....like:
LG Motorsports
KOOKS
ARH
BFE
TX Speed
Stainless Works

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

I would also recommend having them ceramic coated. Not as much for performance but more for the looks. They'll be nice and shiney for many years.

When I did my research and compared everything equal....Maryland Speed was hard to beat. It's been a while though and I'm sure prices have changed some.

Agree with a tune. Get one when you put on your headers.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
stainless works man!
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Attached Images

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
electlatino

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Don't limit yourself to SLP.

First off I believe they are 1 3/4" if I remember and even though you are only talking a few HP most tuners will agree that 1 7/8" is the way to go.

Second....the sound is going to be basically the same no matter what LT you use. The exhaust however will be different. So you could use say a KOOKS LT and still use the SLP LMII. Should sound the same as all SLP.

You should be able to find a less expensive but as good quality header. Do some more research. Look at all of the more popular Mfgs.....like:
LG Motorsports
KOOKS
ARH
BFE
TX Speed
Stainless Works

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

I would also recommend having them ceramic coated. Not as much for performance but more for the looks. They'll be nice and shiney for many years.

When I did my research and compared everything equal....Maryland Speed was hard to beat. It's been a while though and I'm sure prices have changed some.

Agree with a tune. Get one when you put on your headers.
thanks for the advice, i'll look for some 1 7/8"

so you know, i was actually leaning towards BBK Brothers, not SLP.

as for ceramic coated, i thought stainless steel was better? lasts longer. is ceramic coated better? or just looks nicer?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
orange-prince
QATAR 2022

Drives: black cts-V coupe a6
ceramic coated is better and cooler
orange-prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
if your looking for sound, hit me up and I will let you hear the new prototype flowmaster cat back system they did on my car (much throater and deeper than AT series). Sounds amazing, im in HB/FV area.
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
electlatino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
if your looking for sound, hit me up and I will let you hear the new prototype flowmaster cat back system they did on my car (much throater and deeper than AT series). Sounds amazing, im in HB/FV area.
awesome. actually, i'm going to be at guillermo's b-day at k1 speed on saturday, just like you, so i'll get to listen to them there.

also, if 1 7/8 is better than 1 3/4, is 2 better than 1 7/8? because i'm seeing those too.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post

also, if 1 7/8 is better than 1 3/4, is 2 better than 1 7/8? because i'm seeing those too.
Yes...but not necessary unless you plan on pushing a lot of power like FI. If you're only going for sound you could stick with 1 3/4" and save a couple bucks but the bigger size will give you better flow and more power. With a proper tune of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileMAN402 View Post
Yes...but not necessary unless you plan on pushing a lot of power like FI. If you're only going for sound you could stick with 1 3/4" and save a couple bucks but the bigger size will give you better flow and more power. With a proper tune of course.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
With the testing that was done by Ted it showed that even without the tune the 2" were the best. More power up top and no power loss down low. The price difference is around $200 between them all. So if power is what you are after 2" is the way to go. If you just want better exhaust and sound then 1 3/4" is fine.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
J-Rod6410
M6 9 second club

Drives: A 4000 Lb BeaSSt
If you order from Maryland speed call him, dont order online. He'll give you a Camaro 5 discount
Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/6410Jrod
Follow me on Instagram: @J_Rod6410
J-Rod6410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
I have the full JBA system and it sounds mean and made 49rwhp with a tune.

The link below is not my car but mine sounds exactly the same.

Maryland Speed carries this package and Branden is great.

DW
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
electlatino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
If you order from Maryland speed call him, dont order online. He'll give you a Camaro 5 discount
bitchin!! thanks for the headsup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 4 DW View Post
I have the full JBA system and it sounds mean and made 49rwhp with a tune.

The link below is not my car but mine sounds exactly the same.

Maryland Speed carries this package and Branden is great.

DW
i saw this one and thought it sounded great! which is why i'm thinking of JBA! i noticed on JBA's website they also recommend getting their ignition wires. did you get those as well?

looks like JBA is in the lead!!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by electlatino View Post
as for ceramic coated, i thought stainless steel was better? lasts longer. is ceramic coated better? or just looks nicer?
You want stainless steel headers and then have those ceramic coated. It you don't coat them then the color will change to a yellowish/blue/purple. Coating keeps them nice and shiney for years. My coated Hooker headers on my '69 look basically the same as the day I put them on over 10yrs ago.

Keep researching and asking around. Try to hear as many in person as you can because video cameras don't always capture the sound like they should. Also, everyone is going to have their own opinion as to what is too loud or quiet and what sounds good or not.

Example.....I've heard the JBA full exhaust in person and it was too loud/rhaspy for me but the guy that had it loved it.

I really like my setup KOOKS/3" Magnaflow but others think it's a little on the quiet side.

I also really like LG Motorsports setup.....it just wouldn't fit in my budget though.

+1 on the recommendation to call Maryland Speed and Apex. Don't always go by their prices on the site because alot of these guys have a minimum advertised prices they have to post.

2" will give you a little more HP and will be there for you if you ever decide to add more. If you're willing to pay the extra money for them you'll probably be good to go. Otherwise the middle of the ground....1 7/8"....is what most recommend for power/money/HP pay out.

Talk to Jannetty Racing as well. Good bunch of guys and big contributors to the forum.

BTW: here is a pic of some that are coated vs not
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote