Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post
...Our water is VERY hard and spotting is really tough to prevent.
You should look into getting one of the Mr. Clean AutoDry systems. http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/home.do

Our water is extremely hard also (tons of iron coming straight out of the well). I've been using the Mr. Clean AutoDry just for the water filtering ability. It works really well for me in removing the mineral deposits from the water before it hits my trucks. Replacement filters are about $7-$8 each and mine last for about 5 washes instead of the 10 uses it says on the package but it's still cheaper than going to a local car wash.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
xxalexmxx8926
That Drummer Boy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS (Red Hot)
Send a message via AIM to xxalexmxx8926
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #17
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Been leaf blowing cars and motorcycles for at least 20 years---no damage. All my rides look near new!!!
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
beowulf80

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS MT, IBM
On a friend's recommendation I tried using a new, clean, soft squeegie (sp?). Worked like a charm, got most of the moisture off. The rest I was able to get with a single 100% cotton bath towel. So much of the water is already off that that the single towel is barely damp. For crevices I blow them off with compressed air then wipe them down. Just started using Zaino, so I'm wiping down with Z-6 after. Looks great!
beowulf80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
2SSONLY

Drives: FAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
You should look into getting one of the Mr. Clean AutoDry systems. http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/home.do

Our water is extremely hard also (tons of iron coming straight out of the well). I've been using the Mr. Clean AutoDry just for the water filtering ability. It works really well for me in removing the mineral deposits from the water before it hits my trucks. Replacement filters are about $7-$8 each and mine last for about 5 washes instead of the 10 uses it says on the package but it's still cheaper than going to a local car wash.
Thanks, saw something on another thread about filters. Will check into them. Another thread on washing black camaros. I don't have a good place to wash out of the sun so as summer heats up, may have to hog a wash bay at a car wash and can then use their spot free rinse.
#5336, 6M, Racing Bone Stock; lookn' to spoil.
can't cut a light...can't run the number...can't even quit.
2SSONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
smitty912

Drives: 2007 G6 GT
California Water Blade ftw
smitty912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #21
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
the problem for me when using a towel, is that sometimes it's so hot outside, that the sun dries the back side of the car, before I'm done with the front. or vice versa. Leaving water droplettes, and making me have to wash it again.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #22
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
the problem for me when using a towel, is that sometimes it's so hot outside, that the sun dries the back side of the car, before I'm done with the front. or vice versa. Leaving water droplettes, and making me have to wash it again.
...that happens to me all the time.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #23
hb-rocks

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSONLY View Post
Thanks, saw something on another thread about filters. Will check into them. Another thread on washing black camaros. I don't have a good place to wash out of the sun so as summer heats up, may have to hog a wash bay at a car wash and can then use their spot free rinse.
doood...just go buy one of those big Costco Patio Umbrella's that's sorta "Cantileverd" and use it as shade cover when you spend a hour or 2 out washing your baby....!

hb-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #24
bcannan354

Drives: 1968 Camaro
I like to take it for a ride to dry it off. Just drive it down the road at 70 MPH or about 5 minutes and it is completely dry. Nothing ever had to touch the car = no marks. Mom told me to work smart, not hard.
bcannan354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #25
jr_hoyt
J-Rock

Drives: 2001 Yellow Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroHutch View Post
SHAM-WOW Towels while wearing a SNUGGIE!!
Yeah, and if the Sham-Wow scratches the finish, just use some Mighty puty to fill it in!

jr_hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post

It will help a bit with the water but this system is kinda bleh. My wife bought it as a gift as she know detailing is my thing but if u use it per directions which i did u will not get a great looking wash. The wash mitt and the soap is garbage. The soap dispensing is laughable at best. Changing the setting is really annoying as well. I have 2 black cars they dont lie. The water is not bad in these parts and it turned out very streaky. Foam gun with fire nozzle using 2 bucket method still only way to fly imo. As for my mr clean its collecting dust. Btw u can use other brand soaps u dont have to use that crap they tell u to use. U pay 10 bucks for a little bottle of soap plus there $10 filters its a pricey toy for a less then average wash no thanks .Sorry folks there is no free lunch washing and drying a car properly. U gota put some time and effort into it.
Thrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
GeorgiaSS

Drives: 2010 SS RJT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty912 View Post
California Water Blade ftw
and a leaf blower, then wipe down the few spots that are left with a 100%cotton towel. Takes 5 minutes. the blower will blow all the water around the doors, door handles and trunk away. Most of the runs you get after you drive down the road will be gone.
13:60 @ 102 mph.
GeorgiaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #28
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
It will help a bit with the water but this system is kinda bleh. My wife bought it as a gift as she know detailing is my thing but if u use it per directions which i did u will not get a great looking wash. The wash mitt and the soap is garbage. The soap dispensing is laughable at best. Changing the setting is really annoying as well. I have 2 black cars they dont lie. The water is not bad in these parts and it turned out very streaky. Foam gun with fire nozzle using 2 bucket method still only way to fly imo. As for my mr clean its collecting dust. Btw u can use other brand soaps u dont have to use that crap they tell u to use. U pay 10 bucks for a little bottle of soap plus there $10 filters its a pricey toy for a less then average wash no thanks .Sorry folks there is no free lunch washing and drying a car properly. U gota put some time and effort into it.

There's a reason I said I only use it for filtering rinse water. You nailed every reason not to use it for actually washing the car with their soap. Works fine for filtering the minerals out of my water when washing my black Expedition.