Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Are power steering problems related to Supercharger installation

My dealer is now trying to shift blame to my faulty "Power Steering" problems to my supercharger (TVS2300) installation.

Yet, I've had the problems basically since day one!

The power steering keeps going out..

Any feedback would be appreciated!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Do you do a lot of high RPM runs for extended times? Also what is failing?(seal leaking,bearing seized , or is it just not doing what it's supposed to)
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Slap down of a copy of the Maganson Moss act and say prove it.

And if you have documents on the issue before adding the charger, it should be enough evidence to support you problem.

Last edited by armysig; 12-22-2010 at 12:50 PM.
armysig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
hows the heat under the hood? only thing I can think of is the fluid getting hot, but not sure how that would adversely effect the parts.. you will get fade but thats not a broken part..LOL But if the condition was pre-existent to the s/c then as above ^^
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
My dealer is now trying to shift blame to my faulty "Power Steering" problems to my supercharger (TVS2300) installation.

Yet, I've had the problems basically since day one!

The power steering keeps going out..

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Highly Unlikely, since the Power steering is Untouched during install.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
While the PS unit is untouched during install, isnt the SC ran by a pulley that also goes around the PS pump? Just taking a stab here and havent looked at any thing. But if this is the case the added pulley could bec causing the PS to cavetate (like what happens when you crank the wheels to full side lock and hold it?).

Not saying its the fault of the SC just attempting define why it may be happening.
Thoughts?
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Jon@MagnaCharger

Drives: Anything Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
While the PS unit is untouched during install, isnt the SC ran by a pulley that also goes around the PS pump? Just taking a stab here and havent looked at any thing. But if this is the case the added pulley could bec causing the PS to cavetate (like what happens when you crank the wheels to full side lock and hold it?).

Not saying its the fault of the SC just attempting define why it may be happening.
Thoughts?
Cheers
K
I doubt that this is anything caused by the additional tensioner/idler/drive pulleys of the supercharger. Though the belt is longer and has additional pulleys to wrap, the speed at which the belt moves is the same as stock (assuming the crank pulley and p/s pump pulley have remained untouched) so the p/s pump should be spinning at the same speed.
Jon@MagnaCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Ah, thanks Jon. Like I said taking a stab at it.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Good information here...

So basically the accessories operate is if the engine was stock... Nice.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
When I had Vortech install their V-3 supercharger on my car, the mechanic (very nice guy, btw, he was very helpful) moved or didn't properly connect some brake line that affected my power steering.

When I first noticed it, I took my car in to GM for service. They noticed the incorrect placement of this particular brake line and told me that they would not fix it.

So, I had to drive my car back out-of-town to Vortech so they could fix it. They did fix it, but I was never able to learn which specific brake line was the culprit.

Anyway, the symptoms that I noticed where a very hard steering wheel turn to the left and right. And the steering had some "bumps" in the movement of the wheel -- it wouldn't turn in a fluid fashion.

Also, when I first picked my car up from Vortech, the very first thing I noticed was that my steering wheel was about twice as hard to turn as it was stock. So, I immediately felt a difference. Over the course of a few weeks, the steering went down hill until I had it fixed.

It was supposedly a simple fix. I wish I could tell you more.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Good information here...

So basically the accessories operate is if the engine was stock... Nice.
That was not entirely my experience. My voltage would drop lower than what was recommended when I had a Vortech and KB blower installed. So, in some respect the accessories (maybe alternator) was somewhat affected.

Also, it seemed like the Vortech supercharger added a lot of extra heat to the power steering pump. But, I didn't take any temperature measurements, so this is just my perception and theory.

Also, I would experience a master brake booster CEL sometimes when I had the KB. I was told by my previous tuner that there was a fix for it, but until he found the fix, I was on my own and apparently my car was unique with this problem... until another customer complained of the same problem a few weeks later.

Just little bugs
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Early power steering pumps did have failures.

Also If you take note of the Lingenfelter 10 rib kit you will see a new powersteering pump....There is a reason !
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Early power steering pumps did have failures.

Also If you take note of the Lingenfelter 10 rib kit you will see a new powersteering pump....There is a reason !
What is it?
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
Unfortunately, having read that act from front to back 3 freaking times while my wife was doing a paper on it in Law school, they easily have a case.
Although I dont believe that it is caused by the blower, being that the blower is on the same circuit as the powersteering, and the blower not only creates significantly higher loads on the belt system during acceleration, as well as additional heavy variations between on/off throttle transitions, they are well within their right to deny the claim.

Again, was it the blower that caused it? Heck no!! Some of the centri kits require loads soo high, that you literally have to use a prybar to get the belt on. If anything would make it fail, it would be that. We have seen cars that had ratchet straps on the tensioner to keep the centri from spitting it off on the dyno, so I highly doubt the maggie could do worse.

But all the dealership has to do, is prove that there is the possibility of a failure due to something that is directly related. This is why those guys are denying it.. Its total BS if you ask me.

The car probably has a partial blockage in the line, and its burning the pump up. Thats just a guess though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
Slap down of a copy of the Maganson Moss act and say prove it.

And if you have documents on the issue before adding the charger, it should be enough evidence to support you problem.
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote