Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 04-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
PLEASE READ........

( I know -- not the right forum --but if it saves a life -- it was the right thing to do......)

Good evening, my Camaro Comrades and Firebird Friends........

Spring is here - and most of us are getting our Firebirds and Camaros out of storage .....and can hardly wait to drive them.

Unfortunately most of us want to plant the pedal to the metal --

.......................and that's fine -- provided that it's done appropriately and in the right place and time.

My concern is that some of you may get a little *too excited* and perhaps decide to do a little street racing.

Our Friend -- Jason Ory at www.z28.com started a thread on his site talking about the horrors that can result from Street Racing..........and I thank him for bringing it to my attention.

I ask you to read something I wrote a couple of years back -- it's at the end of this email.......

We had a great Camaro/Firebird Gathering in Atlanta -- and unfortunately things got out of control late at night -- and two of our Camaro Comrades died that night...............

All because of Street Racing.............

Please -- I beg you -- read the following -- and PROMISE ME -- that you will not street race -- and that you will wear your safety belts at ALL TIMES -- and that goes for all of your passengers as well.

Please share this with your friends.........put it in your newsletters.............

To some of you, I may sound like a broken record. (to you 'younguns' -- records were what preceded CDs.....) -- and I continue this rant because I care about you.

Have a great show season -- and I hope to see you at the various Camaro/Firebird shows that are planned this season!

The story:

A whole bunch of people looked forward to this past Memorial Day weekend …many of them spending it in Atlanta, as I did, with fellow Fcar enthusiasts.

A few young men I’m sure were looking forward to driving in from the Carolinas.

It was a great show….hundreds of Firebirds and Camaros lovingly maintained/restored/modified.

A great tour of GMMG........ Some great vendor displays......... A Beach Party.........

----A weekend built around a way to remember our veterans and those who gave their lives for our country.

But a tragedy happened early Sunday morning.

We (as well as most manufacturers) build performance cars. We build them with many, many safety features. We try to anticipate human error. But some things can’t be anticipated. And it’s especially hard to engineer around bad judgement on the part of the driver.

We put safety belts in all of our cars and trucks.

No…we don’t deserve a gold medal for this…it’s the law…..a GOOD law.

It’s also the law in most States and Provinces that you are supposed to put them on when you get in the vehicle. I guess we'll never know whether or not the fellows in the back seat of the Camaro SS on Windy Hill road would have survived had they had put the belts on.

Windy Hill Road in suburban Atlanta has curves and elevations. It has as I recall, a 35 mph speed limit. It was not designed for cars to travel at three times that speed. (or more)

In some ways, I guess I was fortunate. I was in my hotel room. It was late…it was a long day………I had a great time meeting a lot of great people and spending time with some old friends. So I retired around 1 am and went to sleep. I didn’t have to witness the heartbreaking catastrophe firsthand.

I wasn’t prepared to hear the news the next morning. I am, as I’m sure many others are -- still in shock. And I pray for the families and friends of all involved.

I guess at this point in time, I can only hope that amidst this terrible, terrible tragedy that perhaps those who attended the Gathering…….those of you reading this…….and those who read the newspapers/websites and watched TV will think twice before getting into a car or truck and not putting the safety belt on ---PROPERLY --- each and every time.

Second: If you want to race, take it to the track guys and gals. Or to the dyno. (the dyno doesn’t involve driver error…….)

Simply put: We know these cars are powerful. I like burnouts as much as the next guy or gal………but there is a time and place for that…..and it isn’t in a parking lot or on the street. It’s at the track under controlled conditions.

I don’t ever want to see a street race. I don’t ever want to see another burnout in a parking lot.

And I don’t EVER want to hear about one or more of my fellow enthusiasts……who I care a great deal for…….. being killed in one of our cars or trucks. Is it avoidable? I sure wish it were.

So how ‘bout we make sure we ‘stack the deck’ in our favor?

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW…….that we pledge never to street race – EVER………… (And I don’t care HOW many other motorists are egging you on…….)

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW that we will ALWAYS wear a safety belt…and that goes for everyone in the car or truck with us…………………..

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW that we will tell our loved ones how much they mean to us…….and that we DEMAND that they wear a safety belt………. Every time………no excuses.

You think a safety belt is uncomfortable? Well how about this statistic: A 180 pound human being traveling in a car at 35 miles per hour that strikes a solid object will create THIRTY SIX HUNDRED POUNDS OF FORCE.

Now..........do you want that 3,600 pounds of force to be dissipated by a safety belt or do you want it dissipated by a steering wheel and windshield – or the pavement …do you still think the seatbelt is uncomfortable???

………… some of you may say “Scott…stop with the rant…it’s inappropriate at this time.”
To you I say…” I care about you and my fellow enthusiasts and friends and loved ones. And I don’t want to attend your funeral or see you in a hospital due to an avoidable accident. So if I’m being inappropriate, it’s because I care.”

To the family and friends of those who lost their lives this weekend in Atlanta: You are in my prayers. I don’t know that I or anyone else have the words to console you other than to say how very deeply saddened and sorry I am for your loss. And many of us will be thinking of you for a lot longer than you might imagine.

To the organizers (my very dear friends) of the Atlanta Fbody Gathering: You have worked so long and so hard to put such a great event together. This was not your fault. People come from many states to enjoy the passion that these cars generate. We are indebted to you for your hard work…and we hope we’ll be invited back again next year. Thank you for your hospitality – thank you for your friendship – and thank you for all the good things you do for the F-car community.

To the Associates at the Marriott Atlanta Northwest: Thank you for your kind understanding and for all you did to help everyone through this weekend. You are truly a class act.

In closing, Everyone:
Wear your safety belts.
No more street racing.
Put the cell phone down when behind the wheel.
Practice safe driving habits.
If you’re going to drink, don’t drive. No one should lose his or her life needlessly.

And remember….every time you get behind the wheel…..YOU are in charge. Don’t turn your vehicle into a lethal weapon.

Spread the word.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Thanks Scott...Althought I don't drag my H2...I do drive over the speed limit from time to time. Considering the size and weight of the H2's 8500lbs (yikes) I could seriously hurt someone if i ran into them...This is also a great reminder to drive carefully all thie time. But when I do buy my NEW camaro I'll drive it respectfully! Autocross ...here i come!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Amen a thousand times. Leave the racing for a racetrack. I say, lobby your lawmakers to advocate for more racetracks, so all the people who want to race (a perfectly natural inclination) will have a safe and responsible place to do it.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 AM   #4
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
Good thread. I'd also like to point out that accelerating to the speed limit as fast as you can is just as dangerous as going over the speed limit. I've seen some accidents (one near fatal) where someone stomped on the gas just to get up to only 15 mph.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
( I know -- not the right forum --but if it saves a life -- it was the right thing to do......)

Good evening, my Camaro Comrades and Firebird Friends........

Spring is here - and most of us are getting our Firebirds and Camaros out of storage .....and can hardly wait to drive them.

Unfortunately most of us want to plant the pedal to the metal --

.......................and that's fine -- provided that it's done appropriately and in the right place and time.

My concern is that some of you may get a little *too excited* and perhaps decide to do a little street racing.

Our Friend -- Jason Ory at www.z28.com started a thread on his site talking about the horrors that can result from Street Racing..........and I thank him for bringing it to my attention.

I ask you to read something I wrote a couple of years back -- it's at the end of this email.......

We had a great Camaro/Firebird Gathering in Atlanta -- and unfortunately things got out of control late at night -- and two of our Camaro Comrades died that night...............

All because of Street Racing.............

Please -- I beg you -- read the following -- and PROMISE ME -- that you will not street race -- and that you will wear your safety belts at ALL TIMES -- and that goes for all of your passengers as well.

Please share this with your friends.........put it in your newsletters.............

To some of you, I may sound like a broken record. (to you 'younguns' -- records were what preceded CDs.....) -- and I continue this rant because I care about you.

Have a great show season -- and I hope to see you at the various Camaro/Firebird shows that are planned this season!

The story:

A whole bunch of people looked forward to this past Memorial Day weekend …many of them spending it in Atlanta, as I did, with fellow Fcar enthusiasts.

A few young men I’m sure were looking forward to driving in from the Carolinas.

It was a great show….hundreds of Firebirds and Camaros lovingly maintained/restored/modified.

A great tour of GMMG........ Some great vendor displays......... A Beach Party.........

----A weekend built around a way to remember our veterans and those who gave their lives for our country.

But a tragedy happened early Sunday morning.

We (as well as most manufacturers) build performance cars. We build them with many, many safety features. We try to anticipate human error. But some things can’t be anticipated. And it’s especially hard to engineer around bad judgement on the part of the driver.

We put safety belts in all of our cars and trucks.

No…we don’t deserve a gold medal for this…it’s the law…..a GOOD law.

It’s also the law in most States and Provinces that you are supposed to put them on when you get in the vehicle. I guess we'll never know whether or not the fellows in the back seat of the Camaro SS on Windy Hill road would have survived had they had put the belts on.

Windy Hill Road in suburban Atlanta has curves and elevations. It has as I recall, a 35 mph speed limit. It was not designed for cars to travel at three times that speed. (or more)

In some ways, I guess I was fortunate. I was in my hotel room. It was late…it was a long day………I had a great time meeting a lot of great people and spending time with some old friends. So I retired around 1 am and went to sleep. I didn’t have to witness the heartbreaking catastrophe firsthand.

I wasn’t prepared to hear the news the next morning. I am, as I’m sure many others are -- still in shock. And I pray for the families and friends of all involved.

I guess at this point in time, I can only hope that amidst this terrible, terrible tragedy that perhaps those who attended the Gathering…….those of you reading this…….and those who read the newspapers/websites and watched TV will think twice before getting into a car or truck and not putting the safety belt on ---PROPERLY --- each and every time.

Second: If you want to race, take it to the track guys and gals. Or to the dyno. (the dyno doesn’t involve driver error…….)

Simply put: We know these cars are powerful. I like burnouts as much as the next guy or gal………but there is a time and place for that…..and it isn’t in a parking lot or on the street. It’s at the track under controlled conditions.

I don’t ever want to see a street race. I don’t ever want to see another burnout in a parking lot.

And I don’t EVER want to hear about one or more of my fellow enthusiasts……who I care a great deal for…….. being killed in one of our cars or trucks. Is it avoidable? I sure wish it were.

So how ‘bout we make sure we ‘stack the deck’ in our favor?

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW…….that we pledge never to street race – EVER………… (And I don’t care HOW many other motorists are egging you on…….)

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW that we will ALWAYS wear a safety belt…and that goes for everyone in the car or truck with us…………………..

How ‘bout we make a commitment to each other RIGHT NOW that we will tell our loved ones how much they mean to us…….and that we DEMAND that they wear a safety belt………. Every time………no excuses.

You think a safety belt is uncomfortable? Well how about this statistic: A 180 pound human being traveling in a car at 35 miles per hour that strikes a solid object will create THIRTY SIX HUNDRED POUNDS OF FORCE.

Now..........do you want that 3,600 pounds of force to be dissipated by a safety belt or do you want it dissipated by a steering wheel and windshield – or the pavement …do you still think the seatbelt is uncomfortable???

………… some of you may say “Scott…stop with the rant…it’s inappropriate at this time.”
To you I say…” I care about you and my fellow enthusiasts and friends and loved ones. And I don’t want to attend your funeral or see you in a hospital due to an avoidable accident. So if I’m being inappropriate, it’s because I care.”

To the family and friends of those who lost their lives this weekend in Atlanta: You are in my prayers. I don’t know that I or anyone else have the words to console you other than to say how very deeply saddened and sorry I am for your loss. And many of us will be thinking of you for a lot longer than you might imagine.

To the organizers (my very dear friends) of the Atlanta Fbody Gathering: You have worked so long and so hard to put such a great event together. This was not your fault. People come from many states to enjoy the passion that these cars generate. We are indebted to you for your hard work…and we hope we’ll be invited back again next year. Thank you for your hospitality – thank you for your friendship – and thank you for all the good things you do for the F-car community.

To the Associates at the Marriott Atlanta Northwest: Thank you for your kind understanding and for all you did to help everyone through this weekend. You are truly a class act.

In closing, Everyone:
Wear your safety belts.
No more street racing.
Put the cell phone down when behind the wheel.
Practice safe driving habits.
If you’re going to drink, don’t drive. No one should lose his or her life needlessly.

And remember….every time you get behind the wheel…..YOU are in charge. Don’t turn your vehicle into a lethal weapon.

Spread the word.
I gave up street-racing about 15 years ago. I hope my forum brethren shall do the same.

As is a common mantra on the "Vette" forum I frequent: SAVE IT FOR THE TRACK!!!!

Your life, as well as others that you may encounter, are MORE PRECIOUS than the thrill of winning ~ANY~ race you may ever run, or win.

SAVE IT FOR THE TRACK!!!!

Do NOT make me come after you!!!!

PS- Scott- THANKS for taking the time to remind all of us just how precious, and fragile - life can be. It's a shame others do not respect this, as they should.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
fRenzy
Where's the Beer?

Drives: 07 Tacoma :(
Remember its looks just as good going slow. Save it for the track.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
we have a dragstrip that is ten minutes away, when they ask me to race, i say ok, when they ask me where, isay, at the dragstrip, at this point in time they begin to wimp out.. there is no reason to! at the strip its simple, you pull in and you pay entry fee, you get in line, you stage, then you race... anybody who refuses to go through this simple process to race me is a LOSER and i refuse to race him on the street...

ive seen too many camaros, firebirds, and junkstangs trashed by a power line, another car, or just going in the ditch at a hundred mph and flipping15 times into a field. and i cant tell you how many times they blame it on CAR MALFUNCTION...... i gotto go to work but all i can say is :

wear your seat belt, it may be unconfortable or "not cool" but it will save your life

and second, SAVE IT FOR THE TRACK!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS

The "Z": BBK Intake, 85 MM Power TB, Smooth Bellow, SLP Lid, K&N, SLP Panhard, Strut Tower Brace, Spec Stage 2+ Racing Clutch, MSD Wires, Performance Exhaust
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
The80sman
NIUK NIUK!!..WOOWOOWOO!!!

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Amen.
The80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #10
WillInThe04Ranger

Drives: 04 Ranger, 95 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to WillInThe04Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy Z28 View Post
x2.........
Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Wikkid1

Drives: 2009 Saturn Outlook
Amen brother!
Wikkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
camarolove

Drives: Yukon XL DENALI, DODGE DAKOTA
Cool

My vision of cool means that I don't have to go fast if I know I can go fast. If they pass me, it's because I am going the speed limit, not because they have a superior vehicle. Regardless of the speed, my Camaro will growl.

Attached Images

camarolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
There's no need for recklessness on the streets. We not only endanger ourselves but civilians who only want to get home to their families, friends, or themselves. Don't be stupid on the streets. I, too, enjoy a little tire squealing from time to time, but I refuse to play games with anyone's life. Don't be cocky. You aren't a professional. Save it for the track.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yeah...drove up north to the outlet malls today w/ my wife and two boys. Three j@ck@sses were racing from up behind us...bouncing back and forth across all three lanes and the shoulders. I mean, serious dodging of other cars ducking, diving back and forth...whatever you want to call it.

Ticked me off...my family...all the other families. Made me wish they'd lose control and wreck themselves off the hwy...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote