Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
random orbital polisher

a total NOOB to this level of detailing,im wondering if the griots garage random orbital polisher is a good choice.have never owned/operated one before and im going to try it first on my wifes grungy 93 nissan if i buy one.was thinking of the blackfire kit which comes with a couple of different polishing pads and two different polishes(i believe one is a compound).would this be a good choice?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
a total NOOB to this level of detailing,im wondering if the griots garage random orbital polisher is a good choice.have never owned/operated one before and im going to try it first on my wifes grungy 93 nissan if i buy one.was thinking of the blackfire kit which comes with a couple of different polishing pads and two different polishes(i believe one is a compound).would this be a good choice?

The GG 6" R/O is a good entry level polisher. I used one for a year and had no problems with it at all. A friend of mine is still using it, and he's had no issues either.

It has a lifetime warranty.

You'll want more pads though. At least 2 more cutting, 2 polishing, and 2 finishing.

A 3 1/2 inch backing plate and some 4" pads are also a good addition if you want better access to smaller areas.

The paint on the Nissan is likely to be softer than the Camaro. Japanese paints tend to be on the softer side. I'd start with the compound on the polishing pad.

If your defects are not removed, you can step up to the cutting pad.

The Lake Country Hydrotech Tangerine pads work well with the Griots for cutting on soft paint, and finishing on average hardness paint, like G5 Camaro's have.

For cutting on the Camaro, the Lake Country Microfiber cutting disks.

Finishing on the Nissan, the Lake Country Hydrotech Crimson.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
got the polisher yesterday.spent a couple of hours on the grody nissan.most of the oxidization is gone,only a few spots on hood and roof to redo over the weekend.the wife is happy with her shinier car,and it wasnt as scary as i had thought it would be.used orange cutting pads and m105 compound which worked out pretty well.speed on 4-5.wondering if a coarser compound would be better or if i just need to spend more time with the m105,then polish and wax.got some pad cleaner,washed them in water in a bucket,sprayed the cleaner on them and rubbed and got them looking new again.lots of yucky dead green paint involved.im pretty happy with this kit,and once ive finished her car i will polish the camaro with white pad and polish then wax it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote