Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
pls help I need to know about HP tuners & locked ecm on 13 zl1

I have been told my ECM is locked ,so I called the first person who is in contact with the last tuner who said that there is no option for the ECM to be locked on a 13 Zl1, but I Have also been told that it can be locked with HP and the factory option has nothing to do with it.
I just dont understand why tuners seem to want to lock a ECM on a customer who paid for the tune,and make it hard on someone who is their customer

I see the point of view that a tuner may think he owns the tune,but from a customers stand point they sold it to the owner of that car.when your paying 500-600 bucks its yours and I have been told by some of the bigger shops they agree,and it comes down to customer service. thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
evilsrt8

Drives: 2013 victory red ZL1. 2011 CTS-V
Good tuners lock the ECM so other tuners don't know how they tuned it. Some tuners are like that. I bought my V and it had a locked tune on it. I had to buy a new ECM when I modded it. Shitty move, but some tuners do it to protect their "files"
evilsrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
You can definitely lock the file on these cars with HPT or EFILive. Some shops do it and some don't. It's been going on since the early LS1 Edit days; just not as common as it used to be. I personally don't agree with it and recommend anyone looking for a tune to ask the tuner beforehand if they lock it or not.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
gen=5

I got it taken care of thank you I don't agree with it either..I don't think I would ever go back to a shop if they locked me out of my own car when i paid for it.

Last edited by gen=5; 09-25-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: *
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
ZL1RHINO

Drives: 2013 black on black
Who did your other mods?
ZL1RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
gen=5

Well I dont know their name,but I have been back to FASTLANE twice now since i purchased the ZL,and this is the second round of mods Fastlane has done for me.SO Fastlane has done most of them I would say,It had the cold Air on it,and a tune on it when i got it.fastlane got it to 612,and now we are going to try for the mid 650's or more if i have to add a fuel upgrade along with the next step.I run a fuel torco additive in it all the time just to be safe.ITs another $25 bucks on top of each fill up,but hey...Thats why i want them to try to work on the gas mileage.....
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Which fuel upgrade did you go with???
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
We don't lock our tunes here, but some do. Some tuners don't want others to see how they are doing things...some tuners are hiding things...and some just don't want people messing with it (i.e. they tune it, give it back to customer, customer messes with tune in HPT and engine lets loose etc). I see both sides of the argument. We don't lock them here just because it has the potential to create a big hassle for the customer.

We are able to unlock ECM's here if anyone ever needs that service. Saves you from spending big money on a new one (and then going through security/CASE relearns etc).
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote