Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Exclamation Want to have 69 Camaro built from scratch, who does this?

I've come to a point where I want to have a '69 Camaro built from all new parts. Frame to motor to interior. My dad had a '69 and I have a 2010 but want to make a matching '69 that I can then continue to tinker on and upgrade and actually drive. I'm not a mechanic but am pretty mechanical so would rather someone else put together the bulk of the car from new parts and be essentially drivable. I understand that it could be somewhat costly but would be worth it in the end. (I'm not sure if it would be more reasonable to simply buy a used Camaro and then gut it for the frame and a few key parts or if all new is about the same cost?)

Any idea what company or group or person with a good reputation does this kind of thing?

Last edited by drtwo; 02-02-2014 at 04:19 PM.
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1969+Camaro+bodies
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1969+Camaro+frames

I had to be a sm@rt@$$ and do that. Honestly, you can buy all the parts. Typically, If you build it on a 1969 frame, it will titled as a 69. If you go aftermarket for the frame, it might have to be titled whatever year you go to get it titled. Make sense?

As far as companies, there are many out there. Any good body shop should be able to do it. There are still a lot of 69s out there for sale at decent prices. I have a 69 RS and was just contacted by the guy I bought it from. He now has a 69 SS he wants me to buy. Well, he actually wants to trade.

I think it would be cheaper to buy one and then work on it. That way someone else has already "paid" the labor charges for the assembly from GM. It isn't parts that kill you, it is the labor charges.

Last edited by blake-b; 02-02-2014 at 07:17 PM.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
You will end up spending more to get one built than purchasing a nicely restored one and customizing it to your specifications.
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying...ts-to-consider
Here is a company that makes the bodies.
http://dynacornbodies.com/body-shells/camaro.php
Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
I thought about it at one time. Started a spreadsheet with prices for all the parts. I quickly gave up once it started to add up to way too much. There are so many small parts that would be needed it really doesn't make sense. If it was a numbers matching car going for concourse awards, that's different...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
I thought about it at one time. Started a spreadsheet with prices for all the parts. I quickly gave up once it started to add up to way too much. There are so many small parts that would be needed it really doesn't make sense. If it was a numbers matching car going for concourse awards, that's different...
I was looking in auto trader classics and you can get some pretty nice real ones for $20-$30K and to get one built you are going to see over double probably tripled that easily.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
makes sense. I just wanted to have a '69 Camaro look but have modern suspension and a new engine, seats, interior, A/c, etc... Maybe gutting a fixer upper would be a better idea... hmmmmm

Last edited by drtwo; 02-03-2014 at 01:04 PM.
drtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
makes sense. I just wanted to have a '69 Camaro look but have modern suspension and a new engine, seats, interior, A/c, etc... Maybe gutting a fixer upper would be a better idea... hmmmmm

Some forum's to look through the only limit is the $ you can spend.
http://www.lateral-g.net
http://www.pro-touring.com
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
Trust me, it will be way cheaper to go looking for one that someone has already built the way you like, and make some changes to it to suit you.
Than it will to build it from scratch.
Check out cars-on-line.com
There's lots of cool stuff on there.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
Trust me, it will be way cheaper to go looking for one that someone has already built the way you like, and make some changes to it to suit you.
Than it will to build it from scratch.
Check out cars-on-line.com
There's lots of cool stuff on there.
^^^^What he said.

I am working on my 68 restomod complete from the ground up and do all the work my self except for paint and body. I purchased the rolling chassis for 3k, but I have over 30 grand and countless hours invested in it now and I havent even started on the motor.

To be honest a 68 that crossed Barrett Jackson similar to where I want mine to be went for 50K. I know I have well over 20k worth of my own man hours in it and probably at least another 20k to finish up the LSX drivetrain.

Find one that maybe has a 10-15 year old restoration on it and you can get a fair deal especially if you find a car that was originally a 6cyl. Collectors tend to devalue the 6cyl, but if your going to change it anyway there all the same.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
How is it possible that people with that kind of money, really end up with that kind of money?
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
Jon@BowlerPerformance

Drives: Fast
You are better off starting with a clean orig then a dynacorn re pop, building and all new dynacorn you then have to register it as a new vehicle and pay taxes on what it cost to build not worth it... Not to mention EVERYTHING is seperate so it will nickle and dime you to death... If you watch the market you can pick up a clean 69 non numbers matching car for 20-30 range... so lets round 25k you can get a complete suspension package control arms, 4-link, adj. valving coil overs, front and rear modular sway bars etc for loosely 5k, you can find a low mileage LS2 on avg 3k, throttle controle module pedal wiring 1k, 4l60 or 4l80 trans built depending new or used 2-5k, 9" rear 2500.00, wilwood or baer brakes 14" front drilled slotted 6 piston rear 13" 4 piston w/ parking brake 4k, wheels and tires a nice 2 piece 18" 3k, vintage air 1500, with out body, paint, interior, tunes your around 50k doing all the labor yourself and shopping the parts.... people dont realize the 100k mark comes real quick on alot of the resto/ pro touring mod cars
Jon@BowlerPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
I agree the best way to save some money and have something to sell or hand down is to buy it right. - Title, mileage, registration, insurance and emissions are all things you need to know before you purchase because classic cars have there advantages and disadvantages.

Look around and spend time... Do the Math - Drive a bunch of cars - The faster you buy something the less you will know why it may not have been such a good deal. A $5K paint job can cost you twice that and the more expensive it is the less you will want to drive it. Stick to a plan it's easy to get carried away.

Anything north of $20K should be at least driveable or a documented project.
North of $30K and not numbers close to matching will mean the resale value will require finding a special buyer that likes what you did enough to want to steal it from you.

Yes think resale cuz it will help you to understand throwing $100K at a car is worth it to some but a bad investment. Being emotionally attached to the car has a lot to do for why people put crazy money into a build. You will never recoup your investment or have it appreciate like a numbers matching car that has the OEM parts that can be put back.

Understand what numbers matching really is. A craigslist add that lists a car for sale where the owners says he decoded the trim tag so he knows it's a bla bla bla high option car is either naive or playing you for a fool.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

One way to get a pretty good deal is go to one of the big name auctions on the first or second day. You can find some very nice non numbers matching cars go fairly cheap. I saw a 69 go for 17K last year at a Mechum Auction. It was a real nice one.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
^^^^What he said.

I am working on my 68 restomod complete from the ground up and do all the work my self except for paint and body. I purchased the rolling chassis for 3k, but I have over 30 grand and countless hours invested in it now and I havent even started on the motor.

To be honest a 68 that crossed Barrett Jackson similar to where I want mine to be went for 50K. I know I have well over 20k worth of my own man hours in it and probably at least another 20k to finish up the LSX drivetrain.

Find one that maybe has a 10-15 year old restoration on it and you can get a fair deal especially if you find a car that was originally a 6cyl. Collectors tend to devalue the 6cyl, but if your going to change it anyway there all the same.
+1

Have a look at the build in my signature. I have gone the aftermarket suspension route and lets just say my wife would kill me if she really knew how far into my '67 I really am. It's approaching ZL money and it's still hanging on a rotisserie. The small stuff will kill your budget. Find a nice one on the websites provided and enjoy because to build a first gen to run with a 5th gen like I'm doing is going to put you close to six figures or more.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote