Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
ZL1 Modes

I was at a track day driving with my instructor, after the first 20 minute run he asked what all the different modes were and what did they do. I tried to explain what the different modes were and what they felt like to me it changed on the car. I dont think I did a very good job of it. So, is there a document that spells out what each mode does when you select it (steering, suspension, shifting, timing, etc....). That way I can be better prepaired when the question comes up again, and it will come up again.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
this is not explained in the owner's manual?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
tnspd

Not my knowledge that is why I asked here. Someone on here has to know what each mode does and changes on the car.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Performance Track Management (PTM)
Exclusive to GM and first introduced on the Corvette ZR1, PTM is a feature that tailors the performance of ZL1 to match the driver’s skills and driving conditions. This advanced system integrates Magnetic Ride Control, launch control, Traction Control and stability control. Five PTM performance levels or modes are available:

• Mode 1 – Traction Control set for wet conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour

• Mode 2 – Traction Control set for dry conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour

• Mode 3 – Traction Control set on Sport 1, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport

• Mode 4 – Traction Control set on Sport 2, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport

• Mode 5 – Traction Control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Page 9-40, a little more in depth than HDRDTD's.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
tnspd

I'll look at that page. I saw what HDRDTD posted and that really does not tell what is really being changed as far as the systems setup on the car.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
tnspd

I looked at the pages and they really do not tell you what the system changes are. I did not even see mentioned about the steering feeling more responsive in any of the modes but it does. It does not say anything about the suspension feeling stiffer in different modes. Who can tell us what really is being done to the cars systems when selecting the different modes?

It says under Traction mode 2 that engine power is slightly reduced, traction 3 engine power is more than mode 2.....OK how is that being done?
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
I can't tell you everything, but I am someone that has engaged 'Stabilitrak' a few times.
For me, when this has happened, the computer has cut back the throttle so I don't spin the rear end out while cornering.
sometimes called a 'nanny' here on the forums. I like it.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I can't tell you everything, but I am someone that has engaged 'Stabilitrak' a few times.
For me, when this has happened, the computer has cut back the throttle so I don't spin the rear end out while cornering.
sometimes called a 'nanny' here on the forums. I like it.
The vert doesn't have PTM. OP look up above under zl1 owner
Welcome videos. There is one that goes over PTM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
sporto20

Drives: 1. 2010 2SS (sold) 2. 2013 ZL1 M6
As you go from mode 1 to 5: the steering and suspension get stiffer, the throttle response is more abrupt (push accelerator and you have less of a delay), the computer allows you more freedom (and is less intrusive) in terms of slipping/sliding and wheel spin. In general, it drives more "true" as you ascend in the modes, but is also more dangerous in terms of the potential for wheel spin, skidding, smoking tires, fish-tailing, etc.

Ported Supercharger, Snout and TB
Rotofab CAI
Kooks 1 7/8” Headers w/ high flow Cats
LPE GT9 Cam,
BTR Springs and Comp Pushrods
160 degree thermostat
2.55" Upper/9.1" Lower SC pulley w/ balancer
LPE solid isolator, ID850 Injectors
LPE heat exchanger w/ fans
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Custom Tune
sporto20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
The vert doesn't have PTM. OP look up above under zl1 owner
Welcome videos. There is one that goes over PTM.
That is correct, the Verts don't have PTMs
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
tnspd

Yes I understand what I feel happening. I have had my ZL1 since 2012 and race on a regular basis. Fastest ET fully stock is 11.77. I would like to know what really is happening in each mode. Someone on here maybe a GM employee can enlighten us.

Also, It appears something regulates the amount of Engine power you get in each mode. So, if you get a tune does that tune take over regardless of the mod you are in or does the mode choice still try to regulate the engine power somehow and if so how is that being done?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

PM Ted at Jannetty, I bet he can answer your questions.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Yes I understand what I feel happening. I have had my ZL1 since 2012 and race on a regular basis. Fastest ET fully stock is 11.77. I would like to know what really is happening in each mode. Someone on here maybe a GM employee can enlighten us.

Also, It appears something regulates the amount of Engine power you get in each mode. So, if you get a tune does that tune take over regardless of the mod you are in or does the mode choice still try to regulate the engine power somehow and if so how is that being done?

Why do you really need to know? Sounds like you and your instructor have some reading to do? You have driven with them off before? You do feel the lighter steering with everything switched off? As you stated they regulate engine power and steering feel. The tune is for other parameters other than PTM modes.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote