Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #15
ROE

Drives: 2008 cts
hid all the way for me
ROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
Not everyone wants HID.
I honestly can't imagine who wouldn't. The visibility is just so much more superior with them, there's no downside as far as I can tell.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Ah your right I was thinking they would only be on non RS LS's.

Aye and SS without them would be embarassing in 2008 at it's price point.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
dochidalgo

Drives: Pontiac Firebird Transam
Maybe I'm wrong, but an item or device (alone) costs more than the installed in a chain of production. I guess, 50% less......maybe more, for quantity reasons.

I would prefer a HID system installed from factory than aftermarket one.

I insist, GM should consider to install the HID system in all Camaro versions for security matters....the cost would be less.

The sunroof, the LED interior lighting etc etc are not important items in the overall performance of a car...they should be custom items by itself, not in "packages".

IMHO...again
dochidalgo
dochidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochidalgo View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but an item or device (alone) costs more than the installed in a chain of production. I guess, 50% less......maybe more, for quantity reasons.

I insist, GM should consider to install the HID system in all Camaro versions for security matters....the cost would be less.

The sunroof, the LED interior lighting etc etc are not important items in the overall performance of a car...they should be custom items by itself, not in "packages".

IMHO...again
dochidalgo
I want everything installed from the factory, thus covered under warranty.

I have no interest in adding much to my vehicle that isn't stock.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochidalgo View Post

IMHO...again
dochidalgo
I don't care nearly as much about the interior lighting as I do the exterior. At the same time, I think that the RS package is a great business opportunity for GM to make some money. Selling the HIDs exclusively with the RS package will help rebuild GM's portfolio. If GM offered such high-demand options in every car, GM could get some money back in the bank. At the same time as I want these for cheap, I want mine to stand out from a base model. I'm sure that eventually the HIDs will be standard.

I'm very worried that the interior LEDs won't be offered in enough colors. I want green accents in mine, and I may get the option if it falls within my wallet just to replace the LEDs later. OEM on this type of equipment is almost always superior. I encourage potential modders to keep away from eBay unless they are buying name brands for their Camaro. There are a lot of cheap parts sold on eBay.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #21
BitchinCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I honestly can't imagine who wouldn't. The visibility is just so much more superior with them, there's no downside as far as I can tell.
Lots of people see them as a gimmick, or just a way of showing off. There are also those who think airbags and seat belts are a waste
BitchinCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I want to check out both at night and see if there's a real difference. I like the look of the halo's over the regular lights. But, if the halo's don't put out as much light, I really don't see the point.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
I for one feel they should be as standard as seat belts (on every car). I have driven with them and I have driven without them, and the difference is...well night and day (pardon the pun). I have been out on the motorcycle at night and when coming up on a vehicle with HIDs stayed right with him, so I could use his lighting. The reason there is such a cool factor is they are relatively new and different. If every car on the road had HIDs then the halogens or what ever color someone could come up with would be the "trick" custom thing to do. I understand the pricing thing, remember when the Lincoln mark 8 was the first American car to get those? The cost was a couple thousand bucks! At any rate, I think they are fantastic lights, yes they look cool, but the better visibility is the real attraction. I am so glad they are at least an option.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #24
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I want to check out both at night and see if there's a real difference. I like the look of the halo's over the regular lights. But, if the halo's don't put out as much light, I really don't see the point.
It's hard to explain the difference, it's almost like HID light is "cleaner"...more focused...sorta. Everything just looks cleaner and better.

Also, from "the other drivers" point of view it is much easier on the eyes....I have very good night vision, which means oncoming headlights really hurt my eyes. But HID are somehow not painful like halogens.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
The halo's and the HID aren't one and the same. I'm not sure if you're just saying 'halo' in a general sense or if you're actually calling the headlights 'halo'.

I know you're well informed due to having been here for quite some time, so if I'm reading your post wrong I apologize.

But the 'halo' is just the dim ring AROUND the HID headlamp.

I've never driven a vehicle with HID headlamps, but I can't imagine they wouldn't give off a much higher brightness compared to halogens. Why else would they name them HIGH INTENSITY? lol

I know when I'm driving they are much harder for me to look at with their bright blue/white color compared to the easier on the eyes yellowish color of halogens.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #26
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
You are probably looking at aftermarket ones. Factory hids are usually 4300K which are very bright white. Its only the aftermarket kits that go 6000K, 8000K and the totally ricer 12000K which are basically purple.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #27
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
The halo's and the HID aren't one and the same. I'm not sure if you're just saying 'halo' in a general sense or if you're actually calling the headlights 'halo'.

I know you're well informed due to having been here for quite some time, so if I'm reading your post wrong I apologize.

But the 'halo' is just the dim ring AROUND the HID headlamp.

I've never driven a vehicle with HID headlamps, but I can't imagine they wouldn't give off a much higher brightness compared to halogens. Why else would they name them HIGH INTENSITY? lol

I know when I'm driving they are much harder for me to look at with their bright blue/white color compared to the easier on the eyes yellowish color of halogens.
I'm glad someone else explained that.

Mods, can we have a smilie that is pointing to the halo and saying "halo" and the HID saying "HID?"
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote