Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
BacktoGM

Drives: 2019 Black SS
Do I Change fluid in A6 2011 Tranny with 36K

Do I change the tranny fluid now and every 30-40K or not.
Owners manual does not say.
Thoughts?
Thanks
BacktoGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Good question.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Normal operation you are fine, Check the manual under service and maint.

First Engine Oil Change After
Every 160 000 km/100,000 Mi

Automatic transmission fluid
change (normal service).
See

Automatic Transmission
Fluid on page 10

Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The manual does say. If you drive it hard or in mountainous areas you should do it every 50k, otherwise every 100k. Page 11-5.

Quote:
First Engine Oil Change After
Every 80 000 km/50,000 Miles

. Automatic transmission fluid
change (severe service) for
vehicles mainly driven in
heavy city traffic in hot weather,
in hilly or mountainous terrain,
when frequently towing a
trailer, or used for taxi,
police, or delivery service.
See Automatic Transmission
Fluid on page 10‑15.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
thesaint

Drives: 2011 camaro ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoGM View Post
Do I change the tranny fluid now and every 30-40K or not.
Owners manual does not say.
Thoughts?
Thanks
If you do it, how are you going to handle it. From what I have read, it doesn't seem to lend it self very well to diy'ing. Once you read the entire process, its seems very difficult to get all the fluid out. and once filled with new, the level correct.
thesaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Trans flush with a filter change about $300.00, rebuilt trans about $3,500.00. You could do this every year for 12 years and just about break even on the cost factor. Peace of mind and fresh fluids. I'm NOT waiting for GMs 100,000 mile service on anything. How many on here have already change the diff fluids in the posi rears only after a few hundred - 1,000 miles. I would do the fluid change, IMHO.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint View Post
If you do it, how are you going to handle it. From what I have read, it doesn't seem to lend it self very well to diy'ing. Once you read the entire process, its seems very difficult to get all the fluid out. and once filled with new, the level correct.

Changing the trans fluid in the A6 is a royal pain to diy. You pretty much have to have a lift or multiple jacks. You need to raise and lower the car several times while keeping it level and since you won't have fluid in the car at the time, using ramps is out of the question.

The whole process is posted somewhere on this site. I try to always do what I can to save money but after reading what you have to do, this is one fluid change I'll be taking it somewhere to have done.

P.S. If you take it somewhere, you do NOT want a trans flush. Be sure to tell them you ONLY want a fluid and filter change, not to flush the tranny.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post

Changing the trans fluid in the A6 is a royal pain to diy. You pretty much have to have a lift or multiple jacks. You need to raise and lower the car several times while keeping it level and since you won't have fluid in the car at the time, using ramps is out of the question.

The whole process is posted somewhere on this site. I try to always do what I can to save money but after reading what you have to do, this is one fluid change I'll be taking it somewhere to have done.

P.S. If you take it somewhere, you do NOT want a trans flush. Be sure to tell them you ONLY want a fluid and filter change, not to flush the tranny.
Whats wrong with a Tranny flush? This method flushes out ALL the fluid even from your Torque Convertor & it also cleans your filter. This is what I was told at the GM Dealer... If you just change the oil you'll still have the old oil in the TC.
I was quoted at a GM(USA) Tranny Flush - $195....Rear Diff. Flush = $119. You don't want to know what my GM dealer(CDN) wants to charge
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
Whats wrong with a Tranny flush? This method flushes out ALL the fluid even from your Torque Convertor & it also cleans your filter. This is what I was told at the GM Dealer... If you just change the oil you'll still have the old oil in the TC.
I was quoted at a GM(USA) Tranny Flush - $195....Rear Diff. Flush = $119. You don't want to know what my GM dealer(CDN) wants to charge
A tranny flush also loosens any debris that is in the tranny. In it's current location, that debris isn't doing any harm whatsoever but after it is loosened, that debris is now able to go elsewhere and cause havoc on your gears. I've seen numerous trannys fail soon after a tranny flush was performed and after disassembling and further investigation, was caused directly by the debris that the tranny flush had loosen and not removed. I've seen it happen way to many times to be just a mere coincidence. My local shop eventually stopped offering to do flushes because almost every single vehicle they did one on, came back a couple months later with issues. The only time I would do a flush is if you are doing a rebuild at the same time, otherwise I would not recommend anyone to get a flush. Just change the fluid and filter and move on. It's also pointless to clean the filter. Every time you do this, you HAVE to replace the filter.

Every time you change your oil, a little of the old oil is still in the system. You don't flush out your engine every time you change the oil do you?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
BacktoGM

Drives: 2019 Black SS
Thanks to all. Think I am going for the 100K routine. I don't drive it that hard.
C5 Rocks again.
BacktoGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:11 AM   #11
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
A tranny flush also loosens any debris that is in the tranny. In it's current location, that debris isn't doing any harm whatsoever but after it is loosened, that debris is now able to go elsewhere and cause havoc on your gears. I've seen numerous trannys fail soon after a tranny flush was performed and after disassembling and further investigation, was caused directly by the debris that the tranny flush had loosen and not removed. I've seen it happen way to many times to be just a mere coincidence. My local shop eventually stopped offering to do flushes because almost every single vehicle they did one on, came back a couple months later with issues. The only time I would do a flush is if you are doing a rebuild at the same time, otherwise I would not recommend anyone to get a flush. Just change the fluid and filter and move on. It's also pointless to clean the filter. Every time you do this, you HAVE to replace the filter.

Every time you change your oil, a little of the old oil is still in the system. You don't flush out your engine every time you change the oil do you?
I've got to agree. The only "flush" I've ever had done to any vehicle was my 1998 Blazer. It was the radiator and it crapped out within a month of that flushing. Won't ever have anything flushed on any vehicle of mine again!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
I'm super hard on the car, but the fluid never gets very hot at all.
Guess I'll leave it for a bit. Only about 25k miles.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I had my transmission fluid and axle fluid changed at 79k. I drive hilly roads every day and I figured "why not".
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote