Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #2955
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
That video? Really? Sorry but that comparison isn't very objective at all. He's acting like a giddy school girl instead of an objective tester/reviewer.

Couple of examples from the video:

4:26 ZL1 has better steering & is lighter (very brief one time mention on the ZL1's behalf)
4:40 HC sounds better
4:53 HC SC whine sounds better
6:34 HC engine!
9:20 ZL1 great car, HC makes it feel slow (power reference again)

See the trend? Notice they pick a road that winds but has very few turns.

Joke of a road race because both cars were primarily straight the entire time. Winding road with no turns. No hard braking. No real handling.

13:22 everyone has to go back to the drawing board because of the HC? For what? More horsepower?

All of his giddiness surrounds the HP. Period. Sorry, I just can't take that video seriously.

Objectivity: Look at both of these all the way through. They happen compare the HC to the Z/28. I think they're spot-on.

Like I've stated many times. I'm a Hellcat fan and love the car but I'm not naīve enough to believe it's a well balanced overall performance car. Because it's not. It's a high HP muscle bruiser and I'm cool with that. Just keep it in that lane, so to speak......

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS

Last edited by Front Runner; 03-29-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #2956
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Text book delusional fan boyism folks.
This site is fairly well known around the net for being a haven for fanboys, of multiple brands.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #2957
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
This site is fairly well known around the net for being a haven for fanboys, of multiple brands.
Lol.... This forum is the only forum that I've heard dodge and ford guys say that it's the best because most on here are car guys and respect ppl more than the Ford and Dodge forums. Well known for being the forum to come when you want to talk and not just bash like the Challenger and mustang forum's. I guess this the reason most enthusiast are here than any other forum . Alot of Ford and Dodge fan boys here than the other forums has Chevy fan boys!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #2958
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Mustang and Hellcat both curb stomp the camaro in all out speed which let's face it is where we get the most joy and spend the most time doing in our cars. And until Chevy stops worrying about the camaro stepping on the vette it will always be behind those two in that performance category. Sadly with the addition of IRS and mag ride to the mustang Chevy is quickly losing any advantage it once had. I really hope the 6th gen w/lt1 can regain the crown like it did back in 93.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #2959
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Mustang and Hellcat both curb stomp the camaro in all out speed which let's face it is where we get the most joy and spend the most time doing in our cars. And until Chevy stops worrying about the camaro stepping on the vette it will always be behind those two in that performance category. Sadly with the addition of IRS and mag ride to the mustang Chevy is quickly losing any advantage it once had. I really hope the 6th gen w/lt1 can regain the crown like it did back in 93.
Yea , but it shows that the drags strip isn't what's hot right now or what most care about! Camaro sells and what Ford is doing to compete with Chevy on the track! But I agree , I do want to see Chevy put more focus into drag but I want them to have a drag Camaro and a track Camaro!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #2960
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yea , but it shows that the drags strip isn't what's hot right now or what most care about! Camaro sells and what Ford is doing to compete with Chevy on the track! But I agree , I do want to see Chevy put more focus into drag but I want them to have a drag Camaro and a track Camaro!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drag strips aren't what's hot right now, maybe not but I would be willing to bet there are 25 members in this forum who will visit the strip to every 1 that will visit the track with their Camaros. So outside of reading the mag articles, what is the performance venue most owners are actually using? In my area I know 1 person who uses his Laguna Seca for track duty, everyone else either plays on the street or visits the strip.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #2961
Front Runner

I agree that most will play on the street but not all roads are straight lines.

Here in NC (and many, many other states) we have a lot of good driving roads in the Piedmont and Mountains where we can get out and have fun with our cars. Most of the really fun and challenging roads to drive aren't in a straight line but have curves, turns, switchbacks, etc. As stated, these roads can be fun to drive for sport and done so legally and safely.

Drag racing on a public road is illegal and never safe.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #2962
newmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I agree that most will play on the street but not all roads are straight lines.

Here in NC (and many, many other states) we have a lot of good driving roads in the Piedmont and Mountains where we can get out and have fun with our cars. Most of the really fun and challenging roads to drive aren't in a straight line but have curves, turns, switchbacks, etc. As stated, these roads can be fun to drive for sport and done so legally and safely.

Drag racing on a public road is illegal and never safe.
So you are saying that a Hellcat couldn't drive these roads and have fun as well? I highly doubt that these roads would even begin to test either the limit of the Camaro or Hellcat safely unless it was closed to the public for a race event. So again where is the advantage for the non track user?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #2963
Front Runner

Being a former Challenger owner, you should know how sloppy their handling and braking is. When the roadway becomes twisty, Challengers flop and flip like a fish out of water. I also have owned SRT Challengers and know this. Yes, they can be driven, but are a tremendous amount of work to even attempt to push them and they're not fun to drive under those conditions and could be dangerous if pushed too hard . I submit there are some roads in western NC that can be driven at the speed limit where the Challenger will be at or near it's handling and braking limits after driving a decent period of time.

I pose the same question to you, what good is 707hp for the non-track user???? You'll never be able to you all of that power on the streets.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #2964
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
So you are saying that a Hellcat couldn't drive these roads and have fun as well? I highly doubt that these roads would even begin to test either the limit of the Camaro or Hellcat safely unless it was closed to the public for a race event. So again where is the advantage for the non track user?
My V puts down more power than my Z06 so it should be "more fun" right? Guess which one I prefer to drive, I mean really drive? Which one do you think offers more engagement, more balance, more feedback, is more rewarding? Why do you think people flock to Porsche to buy "under-powered" Boxters, Caymans and 911's? Miata, S9000, Exige, Z3, 4C, all fun on the twisty's while lacking the power of modern pony cars. These cars have vastly different driving dynamics than a 4000lb+ land barge.

By your same logic, I can't safely go WOT on the street in a Hellcat either unless they were "closed to the public for a race event" as you say. So where's the advantage for the non-drag-strip user?

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 AM   #2965
newmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Being a former Challenger owner, you should know how sloppy their handling and braking is. When the roadway becomes twisty, Challengers flop and flip like a fish out of water. I also have owned SRT Challengers and know this. Yes, they can be driven, but are a tremendous amount of work to even attempt to push them and they're not fun to drive under those conditions and could be dangerous if pushed too hard . I submit there are some roads in western NC that can be driven at the speed limit where the Challenger will be at or near it's handling and braking limits after driving a decent period of time.

I pose the same question to you, what good is 707hp for the non-track user???? You'll never be able to you all of that power on the streets.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had a 12 SRT Challanger with the Bilstein adj suspension and there were 0-public roads that I would have even come close to reaching the Challenger's limit at the posted speed limits or above, while being cautious to not put oncoming traffic at risk such as into blind curves. The same can be said of my past 4-vehicles including 04 Cobra, 10-SS, 12 5.0, and the 392.

Nobody here is saying that the Z/28 wouldn't have the clear advantage at the track, the problem is virtually nobody races at the track. This is why you see Z/28s collecting dust on dealer lots, and the Hellcat demand being so strong Dodge had to take a pause in production to catch their breath. So again where would the Z/28 have any advantage on a public road?

In regards to the 707-hp, there are plenty of straight away sections of road where you can apply the power safely. It's done every single day.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #2966
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So again where would the Z/28 have any advantage on a public road?
Every clover leaf and every corner. Maybe it's just me, but I have fun scaring the sh!t out of my passengers with an unexpected 30 mph 90 degree corner.
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #2967
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
This ^ this site is well know around the web and even at car meets for having insane amounts of fanboyism.

But its not just C5, Mustang6G is just as bad if not worse lol

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
My V puts down more power than my Z06 so it should be "more fun" right? Guess which one I prefer to drive, I mean really drive? Which one do you think offers more engagement, more balance, more feedback, is more rewarding? Why do you think people flock to Porsche to buy "under-powered" Boxters, Caymans and 911's? Miata, S9000, Exige, Z3, 4C, all fun on the twisty's while lacking the power of modern pony cars. These cars have vastly different driving dynamics than a 4000lb+ land barge.

By your same logic, I can't safely go WOT on the street in a Hellcat either unless they were "closed to the public for a race event" as you say. So where's the advantage for the non-drag-strip user?
If you want to get technical, what good is any performance oriented car on public roads if thats the route you two want to argue.

I think what Newmoon is trying to say is that its easier to go ahead an go WOT for a quick blast than to go corner carving and really push a car to it's handling limits on public roads.

I get what both of you are trying to say. Can't we just accept it that the hellcat is not a total package car. As long as it doesn't handle like a matchbox car, it should handle plenty well enough to be fun to drive.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #2968
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
honestly I think if you treat a Challenger (hellcat or otherwise) like the car that it is, a fast grand touring car, it would be a lot of fun and very rewarding to drive. when you start comparing it to vettes, Camaros, vipers, mustangs...that's when the issues come into play. that's my opinion anyway.

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt