Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Removed my front license plate box today...

I went to a local body shop that is well know for its great service. Well I tell the guy who is the owner and top body man there that I have a 2010 Camaro SS. I stated that it came with a front license plate bracket from the dealership and they had the car shipped from New York with it already on there. Well he looks at it and says he can remove it with no issues. Well he takes it on back in to he shop and a few minutes later he says the bracket was installed with two sided tape. He says it was easy to remove however who ever installed had scraped some paint off somehow. Here's a picture of it. I was mad! I called the dealership and they have no idea if they are going to cover this or not. Whats your guys opinion on this and how should i go about fixing this. Btw the guy i took it to estimated around 500 if i paid out of pocket.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
weird, usually the plate holder is screwed into the bumper and usually it's dealer installed. Sucks. They should because it's obvious someone stuck it on there to hide the damage.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
I went to a local body shop that is well know for its great service. Well I tell the guy who is the owner and top body man there that I have a 2010 Camaro SS. I stated that it came with a front license plate bracket from the dealership and they had the car shipped from New York with it already on there. Well he looks at it and says he can remove it with no issues. Well he takes it on back in to he shop and a few minutes later he says the bracket was installed with two sided tape. He says it was easy to remove however who ever installed had scraped some paint off somehow. Here's a picture of it. I was mad! I called the dealership and they have no idea if they are going to cover this or not. Whats your guys opinion on this and how should i go about fixing this. Btw the guy i took it to estimated around 500 if i paid out of pocket.

From the pix it looks like they may have had a minor accident with the car while prepping it or something and they stuck the plate frame on top of the damage to hide it.

Either that, or the tape pulled the paint off when the body guy tried to remove it.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
jdenotter

No paint was removed when he took it off. You can see it was scraped off with some type of tool. I'm sure he didn't do it.

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Damn, $500?!!

I paid $200 to get my bumper repainted
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
500 is a pretty typical quote for a bumper respray

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
As mentioned the front license bracket is held on by 4 rivets. I dont see any holes so they stuck it on there with tape to hide the damage. Let them pay for it.
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
No paint was removed when he took it off. You can see it was scraped off with some type of tool. I'm sure he didn't do it.

I disagree. Your shop did it in my opinion.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
MF2SSRS

Drives: VR 1LE
hmmm interesting....

I'm going to say that the shop pulled the paint off removing the bracket. Some double sided tape is unbelievably strong and whoever put it on obviously did not use the correct tape.
MF2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Paint would be still stuck to the tape on the bracket they removed, doncha think? The manufacturer would drill holes to install it, as would most dealerships. It sounds to me like the car was damaged on the dealer lot by a lot boy or salesman who had access to 2 sided tape. I'd be letting GM know about it if the dealer doesn't want to accept responsibility.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
LS1hawk

Drives: 11 SGM 2SS/RS
did they try scraping the double sided tape off after pulling the plate box off?
LS1hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
jdenotter

No paint was removed after he took the plate off. I still have the plate bracket. I checked to make sure. I agree looks like a cover up

Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
jdenotter

No the tape was stuck to the messed up part already. As u can see the tape is small and the spot is big

Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
did you actually get a chance to look at the tape? All I see in your picture is the bracket. I find it equally believable that the body shop guy pulled the tape off and some paint came with it.