#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
Rockmonstir

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Car drives without key fob

Just like the title says,

So yesterday a buddy came over to check out the 1LE. I fired up the car and pulled it out of the garage. I ran in the house to grab my wallet but before I went in I set the key fob down on my work bench as not to freak out the car. I ran out hopped in the car and went for a short drive to show my friend how well the car handles, drives and some of the creature comforts.

All this was done with the key fob sitting on my workbench back home. We pulled back into the driveway and I thought the key fob had fallen out of my pocket in between or under the seat. After several minutes of going nuts I realized that I had set the fob on the workbench and sure enough there it was. Now i'm left to scratch my head, i didn't realize this was possible and figured the vehicle would shut off if the key fob wasn't within a specified distance.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Mine will drive without it as long as you start it with the FOB in the car. It will warn you on the DIC as I recall but will not shut down.

It will not restart without it though. I think this is a saftey feature. I had an issue with mine where the battery was not seated right and it would only intermittently work. It would have been a much larger issue if the car randomly cut off on me in traffic.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
There are obvious safety issues if the car were to suddenly shut off after moving out of range of the key fob. All it takes is for one car to shut itself off on some train tracks, or in a tunnel, or on a blind corner somewhere to cause an accident. Because of this I am sure it is working as intended.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:54 PM   #4
Rockmonstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
There are obvious safety issues if the car were to suddenly shut off after moving out of range of the key fob. All it takes is for one car to shut itself off on some train tracks, or in a tunnel, or on a blind corner somewhere to cause an accident. Because of this I am sure it is working as intended.
Yeah this all make sense, I'm like two new cars with fobs instead of actual keys. One of those things that never occurred to me until it happened. It would suck though to go on a rode trip stop to get gas and realize you left your fob at home.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #5
macgoober

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmonstir View Post
Yeah this all make sense, I'm like two new cars with fobs instead of actual keys. One of those things that never occurred to me until it happened. It would suck though to go on a rode trip stop to get gas and realize you left your fob at home.
Which is odd because as someone mentioned, the DIC should have notified you that the remote was no longer in range.

Its pretty sensitive too, even if the fob is just outside the door and the car is on, the DIC will start dinging with the "Remote Not Detected" notification.
macgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgoober View Post
Which is odd because as someone mentioned, the DIC should have notified you that the remote was no longer in range.

Its pretty sensitive too, even if the fob is just outside the door and the car is on, the DIC will start dinging with the "Remote Not Detected" notification.
It does, just people don't pay attention to that message.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The dash will tell you the key is no longer in the car, and when you shut the door the horn will honk twice as an additional reminder. Not sure what else the car should do, two warnings should be enough.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Rockmonstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The dash will tell you the key is no longer in the car, and when you shut the door the horn will honk twice as an additional reminder. Not sure what else the car should do, two warnings should be enough.
Yeah, I had no such warnings which I have noticed the short honks when I get out to lock my garage. This time there were no warning honks or display on the dash.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Every car with a wireless key I've used will keep the car running once started but don't turn it off or you'll find out you left your key somewhere

Last edited by thescreensavers; 07-07-2017 at 05:33 PM.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote