Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Accident Story: Protect yourself from scumbag Fathers of idiot drivers.

Accident Story: Protech yourself from scumbag Fathers of idiot drivers.

A few years ago in my T/A I stopped at a red. The person behind me in a van decided that she just didn't feel like stopping quickly enough, and hit me in the back.

I got out of my car, checked to see if she was ok (she was). Checked for damage (bad dent in my fender, broken tail light). No big deal. Her car had only a scracth as she turned at the last minute, and hit me with the corner of her van.

When I started to call the police to file an accident report she BEGGED ME NOT TO DO IT. "Please don't call my father will kill me blah blah blah blah". I told her there was at least a thousand dollars damage to my car, but she begged and pleaded with me not to call the police.

She then went on to beg me not to file an insurance claim and that she would pay for any damage out of her own pocket.

She seemed like a nice enough girl. I wondered if she was drunk, stoned or had some other reason she might be afraid of the cops, but I brushed that aside. She just seemed like a normal young girl afraid of her (or her parents) insurance rates going up.

Like a freakin' IDIOT, I let her off the hook. We traded contact information and just to be sure, I wrote down her plate number. She promised to pay the bill once I had everything fixed, and that would be that.

Oooops.

OOPS.

$2140.65 later, my car is fixed. Bumper was worse than I thought, tail light more expensive than I thought. Paint job, etc. I paid it, and then proceeded to get in contact with the girl.

Surprise! She wouldn't talk to me. Her Freakin' dumb as FATHER gets on the phone. "No sir my daughter would never do that. She knows not to take the family van when she's not allowed to. No no nonnonononono she is an excellent driver I taught her myself".

You can imagine how the conversation went from there.

Later that day the daughter called me back, laughed at me, and told me to go F myself. "I'm his princess and I always get my way so there". Quite a big difference from the near-crying girl in the fenderbender last month to the spoiled stupid bitch talking to me now.

So anyway, Camaro drivers. Your Cammy is your baby and the minute some stupid BEEOTCH or stupid JERK hits, smacks, scratches, or even looks funny at your car, CALL THE COPS or CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Don't fall for a hard-luck story like I did. Let them cry their shitty-driving eyes out while you make the call. Too F'n bad if their insurance rates goes up. They shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Muchmark View Post
Accident Story: Protech yourself from scumbag Fathers of idiot drivers.

A few years ago in my T/A I stopped at a red. The person behind me in a van decided that she just didn't feel like stopping quickly enough, and hit me in the back.

I got out of my car, checked to see if she was ok (she was). Checked for damage (bad dent in my fender, broken tail light). No big deal. Her car had only a scracth as she turned at the last minute, and hit me with the corner of her van.

When I started to call the police to file an accident report she BEGGED ME NOT TO DO IT. "Please don't call my father will kill me blah blah blah blah". I told her there was at least a thousand dollars damage to my car, but she begged and pleaded with me not to call the police.

She then went on to beg me not to file an insurance claim and that she would pay for any damage out of her own pocket.

She seemed like a nice enough girl. I wondered if she was drunk, stoned or had some other reason she might be afraid of the cops, but I brushed that aside. She just seemed like a normal young girl afraid of her (or her parents) insurance rates going up.

Like a freakin' IDIOT, I let her off the hook. We traded contact information and just to be sure, I wrote down her plate number. She promised to pay the bill once I had everything fixed, and that would be that.

Oooops.

OOPS.

$2140.65 later, my car is fixed. Bumper was worse than I thought, tail light more expensive than I thought. Paint job, etc. I paid it, and then proceeded to get in contact with the girl.

Surprise! She wouldn't talk to me. Her Freakin' dumb as FATHER gets on the phone. "No sir my daughter would never do that. She knows not to take the family van when she's not allowed to. No no nonnonononono she is an excellent driver I taught her myself".

You can imagine how the conversation went from there.

Later that day the daughter called me back, laughed at me, and told me to go F myself. "I'm his princess and I always get my way so there". Quite a big difference from the near-crying girl in the fenderbender last month to the spoiled stupid bitch talking to me now.

So anyway, Camaro drivers. Your Cammy is your baby and the minute some stupid BEEOTCH or stupid JERK hits, smacks, scratches, or even looks funny at your car, CALL THE COPS or CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. Don't fall for a hard-luck story like I did. Let them cry their shitty-driving eyes out while you make the call. Too F'n bad if their insurance rates goes up. They shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
So... you have her information. Pay her a visit. If that doesn't work, call the police and hire an atty.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Wow, that sucks!! In my case, OnStar called the police for me

I also called insurance immediately. There is no way I'm paying anything out of my pocket for something that wasn't my fault.

Sorry to hear that... I wonder if there is anything you can do?
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
91RS

Drives: 1991 RS
I definitely would have paid her CAR a visit in the middle of the night. She would mysteriously have 4 slashed tires in the morning and Id key the shyt out of that car. Seriously I would have done that. Think how much better it would make you feel.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
I definitely would have paid her CAR a visit in the middle of the night. She would mysteriously have 4 slashed tires in the morning and Id key the shyt out of that car. Seriously I would have done that. Think how much better it would make you feel.
Yeah, but that probably wouldn't help you any in a court of law.

Honestly, I understand why you let her off, but I would have called the cops anyway. Most insurance agencies will gladly give you the option of paying out of pocket instead of putting it against your insurance, and its not like her dad wasn't going to find out she hit something when she got home and the van was scratched. Bad luck all around, man.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

i feel your pain 2Much i was driving my baby a clean 88 Camaro T top coupe. I was leaving a place called Discount Tire cause i was following up after they patched a flat tire that other places said they wouldn't. I was at the parking lot exit with a truck in front of me and nobody behind me. the truck pulls part way into traffic and without warning he slams it in REVERSE and peels rubber backing up! I shift into reverse as fast as i can and try to back up BANG! he backed into my car, i slam the car in park and jump out to check the damage. he cracked my front fascia and spiderwebbed the clearcoat on the areas near it, no other damage tho. this is the first time anybody hit my car like that and was not my fault. I was too tired after a long day of works to call the cops (i know i KNOW it is no excuse) so i took the guys name number and stuff and went to my buddy's body shop. the estimate was for like couple hundred bucks. I call the guy back and surprise surprise the number is disconnected, and the guy does not live at the address on his DL, the people living there said he was a guy who rented the place and have not been there in weeks. I never got the car fixed sold the car with the cracked fascia but still got 300 more than i paid for the car 3 years ago .

I told you that story to tell you another one

I was living in NY taking my mom out to lunch in my BlueBird (95 baby blue 40th anniversary thunderbird). I pulled out of a parking spot and there was a person behind me waiting to get my spot and there was a guy in front of me waiting for a spot just ahead him. my mom was in the passenger seat and she frantically smacks my shoulder and i look in her direction and there is a small pickup truck with a bed box shell thing with windows and it is filled up so you cannot see out the window backing towards my right side. I honk my horn and he still comes and bumps into the side of my car. I get out of the car and it is a old fart of a guy in the truck i told him what he did we both leave the parking lot to exchange names and insurance info. he tells me he is an older guy and just cannot afford to have his insurance go up. i am a big softie and say just give me your name and number and address and i will call a friend of mine who runs a body shop and i will call you with the estimate. it should not be to bad as the damage was a small crease dent in the right rear quarter panel in the wheel opening. as soon as i left i felt like an idiot and even my dad told me "remember what happened with your camaro?" but i gave this guy the benefit of the doubt and got the estimate. it was 5-6 hundred bucks. i call the guy and he said that is not bad at all, and tells me he will send me a check to the address i gave him. I am thinking YEAH RIGHT, PULL THE OTHER LEG . well to my surprise i got a check 2 days later and got the car fixed. best part the repair was cheaper than the estimate so i used the extra $$$ left over to fix a few small chips and nicks in the paint making BlueBird look like new !
Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Usually having her drivers and insurance info is good enough to nail her in court.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Never let a perpetrator avoid being the victim. If someone screws you, then you need to make sure that they paid for their mistake. If it is in an accident, then you need to hold them accountable. No one wants to take responsibility for their mistakes. I'm sure you meant well by letting the brat off, but most young women between 18 and 25 know exactly what to do to get a nice guy off their back for their mistakes. Unless she provided you services—mowing your lawn, doing your laundry, cleaning your gutters, anything that would cost as much to do over a time that compares to the damage to your car—to compensate the time in the shop, you don't owe her the courtesy of letting her off the hook.

Sadly, without a police report, you have nothing on her except her phone number. It is obvious that her father will probably defend her rigorously in court or anywhere else she is challenged. Now, I can't encourage you to post that anywhere that would lead to her getting lots of phone calls, but I'm sure you'll exact a passive revenge somehow.

DISCLAIMER: I do not condone vigilante justice or illegal behavior in my post.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
Bbrock25

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Inferno Orange
Yea man, I'd definitely try to go to court with this imo.
Bbrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Yeah, but that probably wouldn't help you any in a court of law.

Honestly, I understand why you let her off, but I would have called the cops anyway. Most insurance agencies will gladly give you the option of paying out of pocket instead of putting it against your insurance, and its not like her dad wasn't going to find out she hit something when she got home and the van was scratched. Bad luck all around, man.
- X
Probably wouldn't help but I would have took $2k worth of damage out of her car. Cause on top of $2k he already paid plus hiring an attourny probably wouldn't be able to get all his money back. To bad he didn't get her on tape when she called back to prove his case.
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
Damn, that sucks. Being a 17 year old male, I'm the kinda person who would totally be a sucker and let a girl go off easy without calling the cops, if she had the right...assets of course.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
I had an experience like this in my 94 Camaro.

I was on my way to work and sitting at a light to turn left drinking my orange juice...when suddenly I get hit and see a Jetta driving off. I quickly took off after him. He was pulled over ahead and I parked behind.

To my surprise...a mexican guy that speaks no english comes out...I'm latino by the way...I'm like great. He probably has no insurance and no license. He asks if I'm ok and I was fine...then I inspected the damage on my Camaro. Slight damage to the rear body panel and a chip on the rim. Didn't look like much.

He tells me he just got off work and is tired and didn't notice his car swerved toward me. I told him I'm gonna call the cops. He tells me no. That he'll pay it. So I call my dad up...tell him what happened...he tells me ok...get all his info. I get all HIS info...I refused to give him any of mine. And gave me his cell. He told me to get an estimate and to call him. I was like ok...

I got an estimate...$2k...he cracked my rear axle and needed to replace my rim and needed new rear brakes. So I called...he never picked up. I reported it to the police as a hit n run...they refused to do anything cause I was not at the scene of the accident. And I reported it to my insurance company...fake license...fake insurance...they couldn't do anything. And I only had the lowest coverage on the Camaro...so they wouldn't cover it. I left them the license plate though. Didn't get an update on that though.

I had to repair everything myself. Lesson learned. Now...I got Uninsured coverage on the G8 and will call the cops and insurance company if someone messes with my car. I won't play that nice guy car anymore.

AND...a thing a learned from my dad...KEEP A DISPOSABLE CAMERA IN YOUR CAR!!! TAKE PICTURES!!! IT GIVES YOU PROOF!!!! A PICTURE WOULD HAVE HELPED THIS GUY IN THIS CASE!!!
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
i hit a guy once. put a hole in his rear difuser. my car was fine. long story short i gave him cash and we were on our way. if you get hit try and take care of it right there or file the report. either or
Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Nice guys finish last. Call the cops get the report. Those small dents have an easy way of suddenly becoming $1500+ repairs.