Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
Need some help guys

Okay so I'm applying for a new job. It asks for my previous work history. The problem is up until this year I've been getting paid under the table for 5 years. Should I put that I've only been working this year? Or should I just put that I've been working for the past 6 years?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
If they do a reference check with the employer who was paying you under the table will they say you worked there for the last 5 years? If so include it on your resume. If you don't include it then it will look like you were unemployeed for 5 years. A recuriter wouldn't even look at a resume with a 5 year gap, unless you can explain that gap.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Self employed private contractor. for 5 years
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #4
DagoCountyGee

So it shouldn't really matter right? I could say I was a working part time student. Which is pretty much true.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
So it shouldn't really matter right? I could say I was a working part time student. Which is pretty much true.
Tell them you were working for "The Agency", and that the only person who knew you worked there was killed by Russian special forces in Ukraine.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
I would write in "self employed".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Go with "Home Maker"
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagoCountyGee View Post
Then they will ask what jobs was you working at part time which is pretty much what they want to know right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
I would write in "self employed".
Then they will want to know what you did when you was self employed which brings you back to square one.

Neither one of these responses are good. Only generalize like this if it was a long time ago, not something this recent. Doing so will only raise more questions and if they have a lot of resumes, generalization's will only cause you to be looked over. Either put it on or leave it off. Most resumes have a section to explain any gaps and since you was in school, you can put down that you was a student and didn't work.

What you should to do is contact the other employer and tell them what you are doing and ask if it is ok to put them down on the resume. Since you was working under the table, they can get into big trouble with the feds if they find out so they may deny that you ever worked there.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Need some help guys

If you say you were in school, they will check with the school. If your self employed, even if it was sub contracting for someone - all they can do is contact you to verify. You will still need to explain what it was that you were doing.

Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
jewel25
Mother of PWA Babies

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
If you say you were in school, they will check with the school. If your self employed, even if it was sub contracting for someone - all they can do is contact you to verify. You will still need to explain what it was that you were doing.

No if you are self employed or sub contracted a good recruiter will ask for references of people who worked with you, clients or other businesses you may have worked with.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #11
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Did you collect unemployment at all in the last 5 years?

I had a kid working for me as a consultant that we were converting to full time. HR calls him up one day to ask him for his months of employment since in his work history he only listed the years. He mentions that in this one year, he was only working till February and then worked under the table at a pizza joint. They ask how many months he worked at the pizza place, they ask him to confirm all that info one more time, then they hang up.

My phone rings 20 seconds later and they tell me to stick around for a few minutes and don't let him leave. They come up, meet with me, and explain that I must fire him immediately. He was collecting unemployment during his under the table job which is fraud. I fired him on the spot.

Don't be a dimwit.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #12
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
I don't think they would ask you how you we're getting paid. I would just put in my work history, I mean no job I ever had asked me if I was ever paid under the table. I think you're fine.
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #13
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
I am a recruiter for a large financial services company. Always tell the truth on your resume! If you worked part time and were a student, then say that. The biggest mistake you can make is to lie or add fluff to your experience. If a recruiter does contact you they will go over your work history and experience during their HR interview. If they find out you weren't truthful, they are not likely to move forward with you in the hiring process. Good luck with the job search!

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
DagoCountyGee

No i didn't collect unemployment I don't like leeching off the system. The job I want to work is at the post office, I know the postmaster and said he would help me get the job. I'm only worried because since it's a government job, I'm worried that the government will check up to see if I paid taxes and what not? Should I be worried?