Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Brian22

Drives: 2015 camaro ss
Cam Swap Time!

Hi, getting ready to install my BTR 3 cam on my l99 hopefully in the next week or 2 waiting on one more part. I have all the necessary parts like springs, pushrods, timing chain, fluids, dod delete, & vvt delete. Minus the oil pump and stall converter. Getting a converter later on...Just wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks before I get started, or if you've done the swap what would you do differently? Any information is much appreciated. Happy Holidays!
Brian22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
IMO I would skip the timing chain the oil pump has to be installed exactly as it came off or you may encounter problems. I've installed quite a few cams in 5th gens and as of yet have yet to have a chain failure or oil pump problem. I would be more concerned with the DOD lifters they fail quite often.
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Brian22

Appreciate it
Old 12-25-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
GSoccerCam

Drives: 2010 LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPERIALBLUE2SS View Post
IMO I would skip the timing chain the oil pump has to be installed exactly as it came off or you may encounter problems. I've installed quite a few cams in 5th gens and as of yet have yet to have a chain failure or oil pump problem. I would be more concerned with the DOD lifters they fail quite often.
So i wanna do the same cam swap in jan or early feb. (BTR Stage 3) i was thinking pushrods springs and meling oil pump.. is that all i should do to make it nice and trust worthy?
Old 12-25-2016, 03:26 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if you're doing oil pump you should do the chain. C5R or the new C7 chain. as for oil pump a 10295 is all you need for a LS3. The only problem with the stock pump is sticking not pressure or volume. You also should (need) to put a LS7 dogbone timing chain tensioner in. the factory one is junk. http://www.lingenfelter.com/product/CLY9-5491.html
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I believe the BRT3 cam is a 3 bolt cam so you have no choice you have to replace the timing chain.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #7
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

You don't have to replace the chain just replace the upper gear. If I was doing a new oil pump it would be a no brainier, but for just the cam not worth the additional effort IMO. I have the Tick polluter cam in mine.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
You don't have to replace the chain just replace the upper gear. If I was doing a new oil pump it would be a no brainier, but for just the cam not worth the additional effort IMO. I have the Tick polluter cam in mine.
Exactly. I plan to replace only the cam sprocket, and reuse the stock chain and tensioner. This way, theres no need to drop the oil pan, pull the pump, fight with the pickup tube bolt, possibly mess up the o-ring and lose oil pressure, all that crap.

Like you said though, if you have oil pressure problems, or warrant the need for an oil pump upgrade and have to pull it for other reasons, might as well put the old style tensioner on while the pump is off.

I know people say its junk, but my ls3 tensioner aint broke, so it aint gettin fixed.
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Right you are. You can choose not to replace the timing chain when installing a 3 bolt cam and thus avoid having to remove the oil pump
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

So i wanna do the same cam swap in jan or early feb. (BTR Stage 3) i was thinking pushrods springs and meling oil pump.. is that all i should do to make it nice and trust worthy?
________Well GM has put millions of the stock oil pumps on the road with a very low failure rate. Yes some do fail, but their failure rate is a small 1/10 of a percent compared to all the vehicles they produce.
On the cam swap leave the stock roller rockers alone there fine. Do get the titanium retainers yes it's an added expense but weight off the valve will help your motor make more power and rev faster. ARP cam bolts, ARP crank bolt. An excellent set of inlb, ftlb, torque wrenches with a torque angle meter. New water pump, timing chain cover and valve cover gaskets, crank seal also. An under drive crank pulley would also be on my list. They're gonna have to bump your idle rpm so why overdrive your water pump ,alternator, and power steering pump.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
in that list with the arp stuff he won't need a angle gauge if he does ARP head bolts. being L99 you have to remove the heads to do the lifters.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Yep heads do come off. Get the LS7 lifters (gmpp set ... its cheaper) #12499225 and ls3 lifter trays (#12595365 x 2) if they are not part of the kit...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #13
Brian22

Got the ARP head studs. And ls7 lifters
Old 12-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Brian22

Hopefully someone can answer my question. When I do take the oil pump off is there any method to putting it on properly? I've seen where people have measured the pump from the block and there has to be some many inches anyway from it. I'll try to avoid pinching the o rings. But other than that is it as easy as just sliding it back on?