Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Beamb52

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Muffler delete or just buy an exhaust system?

Hey guys, just traded in my 2011 1lt on a 2014 2SS L99 and damn! Love the power! My only problem is that it was surprisingly real quiet. I've looked at tons of videos of exhausts(mostly borla atak and muffler delete) and just can't come to a decision. Love the sound of the borla atak, but I can't justify $1,200 right now and I've heard if I get just the axel backs I'm going to have to get the afm range device so it doesn't go into that 4 cylinder garbage where it makes it sound even worse.i like the sound of the muffler delete but I'm not very familiar with It, is that something I just call my local shop about and they'll cut them off and put there own pipes there do I have to buy ones for them to put in its place? I just don't know about it. I just need something to make this v8 roar!
Beamb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Why not get some longtubes and get some sound AND power? You can get Speed Engineering longtubes for about $350..

http://www.speed-engineering.com/spe...stainless.html

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete

Last edited by LCPLPunk; 10-02-2016 at 05:39 PM.
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
It's important you get a axle back muffler delete system with J/Pipes. If you just
remove the mufflers it will sound like crap on the L99. I have the Solo exhaust
and I have no AMF noise as the J/pipes eliminates 99% of it. Plus you will love
the sound imo.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
It's important you get a axle back muffler delete system with J/Pipes. If you just
remove the mufflers it will sound like crap on the L99. I have the Solo exhaust
and I have no AMF noise as the J/pipes eliminates 99% of it. Plus you will love
the sound imo.
He said he's getting the AFM Range disabler...
I would say do the muffler delete it shouldn't cost more than $100. And u can even buy quad tips and it will look sick.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #6
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
MUFFLER DELETE..
go with a true dual set up if you really want loud
if not convert to the x pipe for performance gains after the muffler delete
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
I would say do the muffler delete it shouldn't cost more than $100. And u can even buy quad tips and it will look sick.
Ha! Remember me? In California, a muffler delete will cost $200+ per side. I've been to 3 shops and that's the going rate. And quad tips here would add another $100 per side making the whole deal $600+ plus. Sorry, but just life here in the land of the left - you know, that state and philosophy that wants to make everything free? Right...

I'm going to Sawzall the damned things off and do my own delete. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
2012OrangeVert

Drives: 2012 Orange 2SS/RS Convertible
In actuality a catback will make the AFM stand out much more than an axle-back. With an axle-back it will come out some , bit not that much. And depending on brands too. I found an LS3 catback with GMPP axle-back used and installed that on my convertible, and the AFM wasn't too bad. I also got a Range device for free with my cold air intake, so I don't hear it at all anymore. The louder the exhaust , the more you will hear AFM. Also the more things changed before the axle-back , the louder it will be. Meaning if you delete the cats, or add headers. Or remove the resonators. Hope this helps. It can be daunting at first , when you just start to mod these vehicles. But it does get easier.
2012OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
The borla atak catback without the long tube and high flow cats won't be as loud but you will notice the AFM more since it won't be restricted. Up to you what you want to spend for your result.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:52 PM   #10
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I have the Legato and I'm dumping them. My system is stock so I'm performing a test. I took off my muffler and I plan to drive around for a couple days to see how I like the sound. I also have a Range so I'm going to test with and without to see how the AFM sound is like. I was thinking about the Solo Performance wi with J-pipes but they told me that they only help with drone and not the AFM.

Good luck and post some clips.

Joe....
Old 10-03-2016, 02:51 AM   #11
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Whoa whoa whoa! The Range thing is $200??? For another $165 you can get a handheld tuner with free lifetime custom tunes from DynoSteve and he can turn off the AFM! If you decided to get a throttle body or longtubes down the road or just even wanted a better tune you'd have them for free. :P

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
No, he said "I understand that If I get the muffler delete I will need the AMF Range device" That's not correct
imo, and the Range device has been proven to be anything but reliable. What the Op said was more of a question
rather than a statement. I've had the Solo J/Pipes on my L99 for 6+ years. What's your experience?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #13
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
FWIW, I did the muffler delete and got the Range device a little over two years and 15,000 miles ago. I personally like the sound, and get no drone. Just took a 750 mile round trip journey (to the Ryder Cup), and the sound was great. Actually seemed a little louder without the Range plugged in - not good loud either.
I'm satisfied with how it sounds for now, at least until the time comes to put in a cam and ditch the AFM lifters :-)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
A muffler delete is a nice cheap option. Most shops will charge you $200 to make the cuts and weld the new bypass pipes in. Stainless Works actually makes a system for a few bucks more. The Solo Performance axleback is a great system that will give you that muffler delete rumble without the drone.
The Borla Atak system is solid but we can also recommend several other systems that sound great that are a bit more affordable. Check out the MBRP, Solo and Stainless Works catback systems. Excellent sound and quality too.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote