Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-23-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
edcon1983

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT2
Bent control arm?

I bumped a curb this morning with my right front tire while rounding a
turn at about 10-15 mph. It tweaked something but also caused my stabilitrak warning to come on as well as disable traction control. I pulled the wheel and looked at everything but didn't see anything obvious that was bent. I figured the tie rod would be pretty noticeable if that bent. It appears perfectly straight. The only other thing I saw that looked like it could possibly bend based on the way the wheel hit is the lower forward control arm. It's hard to tell if it's bent because it has an intentional curve to it.

Anyone know what would be the most likely things to consider? I'd prefer not to buy a bunch of parts to see what fixes it. Also, I'm not sure why the stabilitrak was affected by it.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
edcon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i bent mine also
Attached Images

lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #3
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by edcon1983 View Post
turn at about 10-15 mph. It tweaked something but also caused my stabilitrak warning to come on as well as disable traction control. I pulled the wheel and looked at everything but didn't see anything obvious that was bent. I figured the tie rod would be pretty noticeable if that bent. It appears perfectly straight. The only other thing I saw that looked like it could possibly bend based on the way the wheel hit is the lower forward control arm. It's hard to tell if it's bent because it has an intentional curve to it.

Anyone know what would be the most likely things to consider? I'd prefer not to buy a bunch of parts to see what fixes it. Also, I'm not sure why the stabilitrak was affected by it.

Take it in to a chassis shop and get the alignment checked. They should be able to tell you if there are any issues with the parts.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:27 PM   #4
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i bent mine also
Duct take should take care of it.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #5
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Duct take should take care of it.
zip ties are the new duct tape
Old 06-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #6
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

I just replaced both front control arms one had the bushing side worn and the other had the ball joint side.

I think it was from when I ran a deer over on the highway a year a half ago and got 3 wheels off the ground.

I didn't get any codes or anything I just needed 2 new front wheel bearings and a new fascia.

Get your Stabilitrac codes read at AutoZone.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102SS View Post
I just replaced both front control arms one had the bushing side worn and the other had the ball joint side.

I think it was from when I ran a deer over on the highway a year a half ago and got 3 wheels off the ground.

I didn't get any codes or anything I just needed 2 new front wheel bearings and a new fascia.

Get your Stabilitrac codes read at AutoZone.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #8
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Transport truck hit Bambi in the right lane and it spun off the front of the truck into the left lane as I was passing the truck.

It happened at about 1am when I was driving home from the Bills vs Patriots Monday Night Football game.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
i bent mine also
Either that or you have the cool hoverflight feature like the Delorean in Back to the Future 2. lol!
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:

Definitely get your alignment checked. Your Stabilitrak issues are likely due to a damaged sensor.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
edcon1983

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT2
I replaced the lower forward control arm and inner and outer tie rod. It had no effect on the issue. I adjusted the tie rod so the the wheel was relatively aligned with the other so it is a little more driveable to get it to an alignment shop this weekend. Adjusting the tie rod got rid of the "service stabilitrak" warning. I'm eager to find out what got so jacked up from a minimal impact.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'll follow up.
edcon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote