Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
IBMCamaro504

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to IBMCamaro504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Or..... you can PM me. I live in Dallas and I'd teach you how to do it all, no charge. Much better than paying somebody to do it and still not knowing how to do it.
I will definitely have to take you up on that offer when I get some free time from work. Yeah those water spots are REALLY irritating especially since in my friend's apartments the sprinklers are always on in the morning UGH!
IBMCamaro504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Matmobl88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Looks like that has the potential for etching to me. Fix it ASAP or you'll be sorry. No wax, you need to clay and polish... Maybe even use Adam's SHR because that wants some love
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
IBMCamaro504

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Skype™ to IBMCamaro504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matmobl88 View Post
Looks like that has the potential for etching to me. Fix it ASAP or you'll be sorry. No wax, you need to clay and polish... Maybe even use Adam's SHR because that wants some love
Yeah I'm gonna try to do it soon as possible. It sucks cause it was repaired (hail damage) at a Chevrolet dealership ugh!
IBMCamaro504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMCamaro504 View Post
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. But The service guy at the dealership told me to wait a month then I'll wax and polish it (though i'm a newbie at it lol)

Thats an old wives tale that body shops still tell people because they don't want you to wax it right after they paint it because if you don't use the right wax or don't do it right you may screw up the new paint job. With todays clear coats thats total BS. once the paint is dry you can sand the clear and buff, then polish and then wax.

Basically what you have is fresh paint that hasn't been waxed and its allowing all kinds of dirt deposits to get embedded in the clear coat. you need to clay , polish , and wax like the others said.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Matmobl88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna try to do it soon as possible. It sucks cause it was repaired (hail damage) at a Chevrolet dealership ugh!
I had some etching that I had to correct. It takes a little bit more time than just swirls and depending on how deep they are, you may have to use the green pad with green polish, but it can certainly be corrected without some expensive detailer price tag. Of course when you are done, give her the sealant she needs. That will help prevent any etching in the future. BTW, I took mine to my local detailer once, I was very disappointed with how my baby was brought back to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Or..... you can PM me. I live in Dallas and I'd teach you how to do it all, no charge. Much better than paying somebody to do it and still not knowing how to do it.

We will match your generosity! ]Let us know if we can donate some products to help out!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
I will definitely have to take you up on that offer when I get some free time from work. Yeah those water spots are REALLY irritating especially since in my friend's apartments the sprinklers are always on in the morning UGH!
Okay, no matter what wax or sealant you put on the paint, you are going to want to avoid sprinkler water like the plague. You need to wash your paint ASAP!

Most sprinkler water is loaded with minerals that are going to damage your paint. The minerals (particularly the magnesium and calcium) in the water are going to start etching (eating!) into your clear coat quickly!!!
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Yeah dude, if you've got artificial water sources (i.e. sprinklers) spraying allover paint without an LSP on it, you're going to get some mean water spots. Pretty much all of us can already tell that abrasives are required to get rid of those. After that, I'd avoid artificial water as much as you can and when you wash the car, make sure ALL the water is dried off. Once you get a sealant or wax on there, you have a little bit more leeway, but still be wary.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote