Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #71
Ravener

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Blk
Update #4132 (or seems like it anyway)...

Slave cylinder replaced along with installation of a Ram powergrip HD clutch on Friday. Odd noise came from under car when put in reverse, sounded like something was dragging under the car (which nothing was). Drive on highway home was ok, clutch grabbed and felt better than it had in ages. Once in 1st gear going up driveway...chatter and grinding again...seriously pissed. Drove it a little bit today to note what conditions it was acting up in...mostly 1st gear and when shifting from 2nd down to first (tons of grinding and great difficulty getting into gear). I'm pretty sure the forces of the universe are trying to tell me that nothing I do or spend regarding this car are going to work. Having an incredibly hard time trying to justify bothering with this sh%t anymore
Old 09-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #72
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Don't give up bud you'll get it!!
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #73
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I think the forces were telling you that the Trans might of been going. Something had to give. Your not the only one either, after 1.5 years an inconel exhaust valve of mine decided to just break! Now the shortblock is on it's way this week to AES for a clean and reassembly.

I think that your going to know ALL of the week points in your driveline with this build. The Trans is one, my output shaft broke on the dyno so don't feel bad. I had to wait another 2 months while I had it built with a viper conversion and 31spline output shaft, when I took my clutch off my textrellia clutch is pretty damn worn! Now I know that it's gonna need an upgrade. SMH

Don't give up, I know the whole budget thing. I have 4 kids 1 in college, a girlfriend and a wife ON THE side! Lol.

Hang in there and do it right
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.

Last edited by litle88; 09-21-2013 at 11:22 PM.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #74
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
This is going to sound odd but when they replaced your slave did they bleed your brakes? When was the last time you bled your brakes? What color is the fluid in your master cylinder? If it isn't amber then bleed it and use dot 4.

Since you do not have a separate clutch reservoir your brake and clutch fluid is using the same fluid. Thus is can become dirty and contaminated. I am sure you know this but this is a reminder.

Give this a read to see what I am talking about.
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #75
mdsolutions

Drives: 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGT View Post
If you can raise power to 7000, yeah its gonna add a good amount of power, provided it can maintain decent VE up there. I havent seen a true 7000rpm peak out of the stock manifod on the stock cubic inches, let alone 416, but I havent seen it all by any means. Ive seen them hang on well to there, but not peak there. Seems that manifold tries to force that peak around 6500 to me, Im sure it can be cheated some. Im not saying your not doing it, just that I havent seen it personally.

The cam in the OP's engine, is closer to right on a stock cube motor than his 418, in my opinion. What I was trying to convey is that I've seen heads and cam transferred from one engine to another thats 30 or so inches bigger. And the ones I've seen make more power when doing so, not less, even though they arent optimum valve events for the larger engine. Worst case, the OP's engine should be making the same power as a stock cube engine, but at a lower rpm. Why doesn't his then? Seems relevant to me. If not to you, perfectly fine. Would love to see a cam give him the 70hp he's looking for. And so would he im sure. Maybe he will change the cam to something closer to your recommendation and redyno at the same place. And we will all have the oppurtunity to learn something.

I understand what you are saying. My SS is stock cube making 486 rwhp, if I increased the displacement to 418 and left everything else alone I see no possible way to lose Hp. I am installing RPC 255 cc heads on her right now. I will post dyno numbers after it is complete.
mdsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #76
Ravener

Went back in Monday to let builder drive the car and, naturally, couldn't replicate the issues I was experiencing. Drove the car a good amount this morning and thankfully haven't experienced the weird grinding or general chattering sensation from the weekend. I have however noticed that in 5th gear on the highway it feels like the car is "vibrating" more than I have experienced previously and almost creates a drone like sensation. Hard to explain.

Anyway, hoping that things don't explode or whatever this week. I'd like to take it to the track on Friday to take advantage of the cooler air this time of year and see how it performs with a "functioning" clutch.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #77
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Weird issue...Maybe dont hit the track yet till you figured it out?

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #78
Ravener

Update 10/04: Finally had a chance to run the car during a buddies Race Team track rental at Capitol. Ran a 12.03 @117.4 mph with massive traction issues and sloppy shitfing on my part (still trying to learn new clutch too) so not a bad morning especially in 90+ degree heat and some hot lapping.

Couple more sessions to get the launches squared away and easy mid to high 11's. With drag radials...maybe better
Old 10-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #79
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Did you ever do anything about that exhaust to allow the engine to breathe? I've seen a smaller 346ci LS1 with TRex cam pick up 25rwhp from a better flowing exhaust. A larger cam would only need to move more air and at a higher rpm, not sure how high you plan on spinning it to, but a 250/270 cam on a 118 like mentioned is going to peak around 7500 in a 416(which a stock intake or fast isn't going to allow it to truly peak that high just not drop off at those rpms) and be a dog down low compared to your current cam with only 11:1 static compression...
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #80
Ravener

I'm angling towards picking up a set of 2" primary LT's and using 3" pipes in the near future (starting new job soon so money will flow shortly). After that, will need to revisit the cam selection which I feel is too mild for what I had in mind. For now I'm getting used to launching with non-broken parts
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #81
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener View Post
I'm angling towards picking up a set of 2" primary LT's and using 3" pipes in the near future (starting new job soon so money will flow shortly). After that, will need to revisit the cam selection which I feel is too mild for what I had in mind. For now I'm getting used to launching with non-broken parts
With your mods running street tires at the track is pointless. You should be angling into getting slicks. Sorry but 12's is not good.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #82
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener View Post
I just pulled my cam out. Going bigger. It's in my sig.

250 if your interested. It made 545 NA with a 9" and on a mustang dyno on a hot AZz July day.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #83
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
street tires at the strip is like a chastity belt at the prom.

Go DR or slicks......
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote