Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #183
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Ted Jannetty believes in EOM pumps. See post#52 in this thread that provides hard data from Melling that Ted asked for about why a Melling should be considered an upgrade over EOM. Very informative.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=254409&page=4
Absolutely an upgrade! There is no denying it is indeed an ✌️"upgrade" ✌️.

Buying a Z28 and immediately taking out the cylinder head on the LS7, and fixing the valve guide issue would be considered a nice healthy, out_of_pocket "upgrade" as well. Perhaps realistically, the latter much more proactive than the LS3 oil pump issue, but this of course is debatable once the warranty card is thrown in, and how the car is modded and used.

Point being, we need to weigh and make informative decisions, based on our budget, vs the % of failure for a given component. If we were all made of money, we would all take out that LS7 head, that LS3 oil pump, etc, and upgrade for good measure.

If some of these 25+ year shops had ALL witnessed these failures, then one would only be a fool to not replace proactively, and thus would have budgeted the upgrade mod in the first place, before the car acquisition itself.

100%, more power to those who replaced the oil pump, and therefore the chain as well.

Back in the day, when i would buy a car, I would replace every single purported "weak spot" on the car, before it even broke in theory. $$$$$ digit figures later, I'd be cruising 😌 all warm and fuzzy feeling, it was the best LOL.

Personally, Im not worried about my oil pump, but time will tell, if the laws of %chance truly were in the oil pumps favour or mine.

I don't trust anybody anymore(sadly), so I'm stuck making my own judgement calls, so far so good...I have never blown an engine in my life. Ironically, I might be due : )
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #184
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i thought i read that GM doesn't align the oil pump. .
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #185
Viper54

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS V8/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i thought i read that GM doesn't align the oil pump. .
you have to align the factory stock GM oil pump on the L99/LS3 . I believe
the Meling is self aligning
Viper54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #186
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper54 View Post
you have to align the factory stock GM oil pump on the L99/LS3 . I believe
the Meling is self aligning
You will have to align any pump on any crank driven oil pump like the LS.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM   #187
Aaron_W

Drives: 2012 2SS
Don't have anything to add, but as a new (to me) camaro owner who is looking at a cam install sometime in the near future I just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. A lot of really useful info.
2012 2SS/RS Transmarobird (white trash ferrari) 6spd / Silver / Airraid Intake / GMPP Axleback / H&R Lowering Springs / Hurst Short Shifter / GM Blade Dovetail / Heritage Grille / ZR1 Front Splitter / Speed Engineering Longtubes / Tuned by Dynosteve
2004 Corolla LE / 5 spd / 35mpg / Burnouts
Aaron_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:03 PM   #188
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Not sure if this video has been posted here or not, but this is exactly what I did on my install, and she still runs perfectly, for the last 5,000mi. Knock on wood

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LG8VMVcSvhs
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #189
camaro34

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I build engines for Total Engine Concepts in south Florida. Most of the LS builds we do have a factory pump. When installing, I do two things. First, I shim the pump similar to how it's done in the video. Second, when I install the pickup tube I check to ensure the o-ring is not pinched and is sealed against the pump. The second step is what I believe happens to some pumps when a cam install is done in the car because this step is difficult to do when the pickup tube is still attached to the mains. If the seal is not correct then the pump will not pump oil.
Hope this helps
camaro34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #190
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro34 View Post
I build engines for Total Engine Concepts in south Florida. Most of the LS builds we do have a factory pump. When installing, I do two things. First, I shim the pump similar to how it's done in the video. Second, when I install the pickup tube I check to ensure the o-ring is not pinched and is sealed against the pump. The second step is what I believe happens to some pumps when a cam install is done in the car because this step is difficult to do when the pickup tube is still attached to the mains. If the seal is not correct then the pump will not pump oil.
Hope this helps
I'm saving your info, thx! 👍
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote