Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
Doesn't matter what Obama wants, it only matters if people buy their products. I don't see many people buying Fiat/Chryslers.
We'll see.
oh i see plenty...especially with everyone drinking the small fuel efficient car juice as of late.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
Doesn't matter what Obama wants, it only matters if people buy their products. I don't see many people buying Fiat/Chryslers.
We'll see.
If the people don't want Chrysler because they're unreliable and inefficient, improving fuel economy should help.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
Tomash

Drives: (black 2SS Camaro), Suzuki SX4
Chrysler, producer of some of the most badass cars ever (300, Ram, Viper, Challenger), is going to be selling Fiat 500. Holy crap, the world is ending.

I don't see how Fiat 500 is supposed to help. It's small, yes. But it's also ugly (OK, many people like it, so let's say controversial). It's from Fiat, not the most reliable cars maker (to put it politely). It's terribly overpriced compared to its competitors in the supermini sector (think more than 1.5x the price of Toyota Yaris). Hell, they sell poorly even in Europe due to their "wimpyness" (and price) and anyone expects them to sell in US?

The funniest thing about Fiat 500 in Europe is that it's also a basis for new Ford Ka (Ford's supermini in Europe). This way Chrysler is going to have a serious business connection with Ford through Fiat
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #32
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
what about a chrysler-maserati? lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #33
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomash View Post
The funniest thing about Fiat 500 in Europe is that it's also a basis for new Ford Ka (Ford's supermini in Europe). This way Chrysler is going to have a serious business connection with Ford through Fiat
Not to mention the platform sharing from GM.. :/ Fiat is more or less the 'one night stand' company, that did it for the money. But now it seems that it actually found someone to latch onto long term.

There is a US market, though, for the 500 and some of Fiat's cars. Look at the Vibe, Small Toyotas, and the newly imported Fiesta and Focus from Ford Europe.

I see Fiat filling Chrysler's failing small car segment via platform sharing as intended. Fiat could then re-market itself as an intermediate brand like Buick and Mercury where it combines it's current platforms with Chrysler platforms to make a better competing company.

Dodge - Fiat - Chrysler - Jeep
Chevy - Buick - Cadillac - GMC

Ford would then lose out with it's lack of an industrial/4X4 oriented brand.. Interesting..

Honestly, if I had to get a second car.. I'd get a Fiat Grande Punto 3dr or Bravo not only to help Chrysler, but because they're not bad looking little cars IMO. EDIT: I also noticed "Blue & Me". Chrysler-Fiat may have a Sync fighter without even trying. Not to mention that Microsoft also underpinned this system as well. Wow.. this is going to be interesting.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #34
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Not to mention the platform sharing from GM.. :/ Fiat is more or less the 'one night stand' company, that did it for the money. But now it seems that it actually found someone to latch onto long term.

There is a US market, though, for the 500 and some of Fiat's cars. Look at the Vibe, Small Toyotas, and the newly imported Fiesta and Focus from Ford Europe.

I see Fiat filling Chrysler's failing small car segment via platform sharing as intended. Fiat could then re-market itself as an intermediate brand like Buick and Mercury where it combines it's current platforms with Chrysler platforms to make a better competing company.

Dodge - Fiat - Chrysler - Jeep
Chevy - Buick - Cadillac - GMC

Ford would then lose out with it's lack of an industrial/4X4 oriented brand.. Interesting.
I think that you're right about Fiat being very valuable for Chrysler right now.

Based on your lineup, I think we need to see some more direct competition between GMC and Jeep. You're right to point out that Ford lacks a truck only brand, but they did a good job of branding the F-150 as a solid product, so opening a new truck brand would be disastrous as a sales idea, especially in an economy that prefers lean companies over big ones. Ideally, I'd like to see every GMC car run on E85 and hybrid technology, in addition to competing directly with all of the Jeep product lines.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #35
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Not only that.. but if we start seeing Euro performance Fiats we could see Regal GNs again. War of the Turbos?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote