Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
BowTieBoy14

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Went to dealer for Alignment... Need Advice

Hey guys, I took my 2014 1LE with stock suspension setup to the dealer for a track alignment. It’s not really daily driven any more and sees the track about 6 or more times a year and I’m just looking for a little better turn in, grip in turns and tire wear. So I gave them the specs I was shooting for and the tech comes back and tells me I need a camber adjustment kit to move the camber AT ALL! That doesn’t sound right? $33 per bolt $210 installed. This is on top of the $150 alignment so I’m a little upset at this point because I’m thinking they are charging for the two adjustment bolts that go into the knuckle to help them set the alignment. So I can’t see spending the admission to a track day on 2 metric bolts and a mechanic screwing them in so I convince them if I buy and install the bolts they will finish alignment for free. Well they give me the part number, GM 88914258. So that part number is for one of those camber adjustment bolts with a shank that essentially makes thread smaller to allow for more adjustment.

So everyone here says not to use them and I can’t see where that part number is even for our cars? Am I missing something? Does anyone have GM Docs that says you should or should not use these to give to them when I go back? Or should I just jack the car up, loosen both pins through the strut, kick the tire in and take it back and have them line it up? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BowTieBoy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Go some place else, dealer had the bolts to adjust the camber where I went. Its a tool you don't leave them in. After you set the camber you lock the bolts and remove the adjustment bolts.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
The struts are slotted and should have plenty of room for adjustment.

You can buy the m10 set screws just about anywhere. I put loctite on mine and left them in.

Take it to an alignment shop....stay away from the stealerships.
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
The struts are slotted and should have plenty of room for adjustment.

You can buy the m10 set screws just about anywhere. I put loctite on mine and left them in.

Take it to an alignment shop....stay away from the stealerships.
Ditto:

M10-1.50 x 40MM

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
BowTieBoy14

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Thanks for the feedback guys, and the pics and details hammdo. I guess I’ll just head somewhere else. The car has never really been to the dealership since it was new, headers, cam, everything I have done myself. I assumed since I didn’t have means of lining it up I would take it to the dealership because surely they are pros or at least have had practice aligning these particular vehicles before. We know what happens when we assume....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BowTieBoy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
The 10mm set screw on the knuckle is only for guidance during alignment. You don't need them at all to get a proper alignment done. They should be taken out after anyways to avoid them from potentially (though improbably) backing out.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote