Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #15
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I have one on my '14 1LE. Throttle response did improve, car runs great, no issues. The Z/28 CAI looks great also and OEM quality. And really, why the issue about warranty? All the CAIs void it, so why is this an arguement with this one?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:37 AM   #16
paulik87

Drives: 2012 civic si
Do these intakes do anything? I know on my '12 civic all of the "cold air intakes" &short ram intakes really don't do shit. Also, the intake on the z/28 how is that really considered a cold air intake when it's taking in air from the engine bay?
paulik87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulik87 View Post
Do these intakes do anything? I know on my '12 civic all of the "cold air intakes" &short ram intakes really don't do shit. Also, the intake on the z/28 how is that really considered a cold air intake when it's taking in air from the engine bay?
The stock filters are very restrictive on these cars. Aftermarket ones really let them breath.

I have a V6 LFX. I upgraded to the GMPP factory exhaust, and there wasn't really much of a noise increase.

But when I put on the CAI Inc. intake... Holy shit, it was easily 3x louder. Butt dyno felt a boost in HP too.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I have one on my '14 1LE. Throttle response did improve, car runs great, no issues. The Z/28 CAI looks great also and OEM quality. And really, why the issue about warranty? All the CAIs void it, so why is this an arguement with this one?
also it's plastic made . plastic is used for its capability to don't catch much heat instead alluminium or steel that take from engine bay

Quote:
yes do,why not? you might be in your civic you got an air filter not a real cai. cai has a special air box in which there is a more permeable air filter.we can assume that 1 more degree of air in the intake it's a 1 hp loss.now you got more air from the filter but you got more temperature from the air breathed the things could have been balanced.i'm assuming cause i didn't see your engine bay
in my case,i have a z/28cai. there is a rubber gasket on he top of the air box which seals properly against the hood ( i tried with chalk). also the plastic blades along the wall of the intake are good for cut the turbolence caused by intake depression...there is also a velocity sistem. i don't know if it work i have to do some calculation.....stai tuned i'd like to know the resonance of the intake mainfold..
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
Chris1SS1LE

Drives: 2014 Camaro Red Hot 1LE NPP Recaro
I been looking at CAI's and benefit of going to a camaro show was too see all the different models installed. Now I don't want to offend anyone or company, but working in a engine test lab for a career my thing is function and fit and finish. The C.A.I , rotofab, and few others including the K&N have too many gaps not sealing off the air box area around the air filter. An engine compartment creates heat around 350F to as high 450F. Yes a car moving allows outside air to flow in, but it that hood traps that heat as well. The whole Ram Air mod of moving the windshield tank is not very effective if the air trying to compress in a space to shove it into a filter is compromized by all the gaps.

The Z28 CAI and the Air Raid are both blowmold contained units. Yes the ram tube used from the stock box installed on the airRaid doesn't look effiencent. But its on a N/A car, the car is only going to suck in so much air and if the throttle body and the tube are 90 to 100mm the air intake tube is about the same plus its getting air pushed into to it elevating the air pressure inside the air box.

Now the Z28 has a bigger hole, but its aimed forward and sealed off everywhere else like the air raid. I bet the Z28 with the windshield bottle moved will probably be very effiecent.

Plus out of them all who do you think tested there product for 3000 hours of continous dyno testing. Probably 1, which is the Z28. The others testing involved putting it on a car on dyno in a air conditioned shop. Then asked there girlfriends it they thought it was pretty because it had a window to see the air go into the filter. (Because she is blonde and believes seeing the cold air fly into the air filter can happen)

10-15 hp improvement can be weather change, they all will help. The vara-ram is effective the shortest distance between two points, no turns, and just straight into the the motor. Probably why the COPO has it as a factory piece.

The whole warranty thing, I think your safe with the z28 piece. if that dealer ever serviced a Z28 then they know its a OEM part. So if they see a 1LE or SS, most will assume that it came on the car since it has a GM part number and GM filter.

Just if its ever questioned, don't be a weiner. Because GM warranty group likes nice people and nice people get taken care of. Ego know it alls who act all high and mighty get cancelled warranties.

Again just my opinion, no offense
Chris1SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #20
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
How did the 1le pcv catch can connect?
Quote:
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
cdb95z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rat View Post
How did the 1le pcv catch can connect?
The hookups are included in the kit and work great, but.....

I did have to do a bit of hot rodding here, partly because I'm a stickler for (some) mods have to look OE, or atleast look like they have some sort of symmetry with everything else. And yes, it is a GM (aftermarket) mod on a GM (OE) car, so please understand that there is a difference. I am talking about the PCV hookup, I did not like how GM put it all together. They did it the least expensive way, and I like the look of the pre-bent plastic tubing that they use on everything else.

I'm at work right now, I'll snap a pic sometime this evening. That will explain. The Kit includes parts to connect everything, but I did not like the look.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
Midnight Rat

Yeah I want it to look like it belongs. Thanks I look forward to any pics and ISO.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #23
cdb95z28

Name:  DSC09964.jpg
Views: 7917
Size:  165.2 KB
One reason I went a different route is the 90* fitting that the Z/28 uses. It just looks better than putting the rubber hose from the kit on the CAI.

Name:  2014-chevrolet-camaro-z28-engine.jpg
Views: 7715
Size:  192.2 KB

I used Dorman HELP! part # 46002 and Dorman 800-059 from AutoZone.

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliver...8_116463_4169/
This one will snap right in to the Z/28 CAI

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/3...elp-46002.html
I cut this one in half.

Name:  DSC09962.jpg
Views: 5944
Size:  179.3 KB

Name:  DSC00054.jpg
Views: 5988
Size:  198.7 KB

I also used a couple of black GM hose clamps at the rubber hose. I cut the plastic tubing coming out of the PVC separator installed the 90* (46002) to it and the 800-059. I used a hair dryer to soften the 800-059 to have a slight radius to meet the Z/28 CAI. Becareful not to rush bending the hard plastic tubing, you can kink it! Nice even heat and a gradual bend.

Looks like it was engineered to the LS3

Also, regarding the MAF on this CAI, GM calibrates MAF sensors to the intake system, not necessarily to the engine. When you bolt on other aftermarket CAI's, your stock MAF will not be calibrated correctly, unless you get a tune and your tuner calibrates it. I checked the MAF sensor on my OE air intake, the Chevrolet Performance Z/28 CAI and the OE Z/28 CAI and they are all the same. Part # 15865791. As for the calibration, I am able to see this via HP Tuners and the MAF Calibration Table is different between my 1LE and a 2014 Z/28.

Last edited by cdb95z28; 03-23-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: MAf info
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #24
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
I found the warranty voiding statement from the catalog I mentioned earlier.

"*The use of this engine or component in a new Chevrolet vehicle voids the vehicle powertrain warranty and may result in adversely affecting vehicle performance. In some cases, use of certain Chevrolet Performance components may result in the failure of other components or systems, thus voiding the warranty of the failed component or system. Chevrolet Performance components installed in new vehicles do retain their regular warranty coverage unless otherwise noted.
These engines and components have not been tested or validated by GM Engineering for use in these vehicles. Installation of compo- nents or engines in non-original applications may require fabrication or modifications that affect other vehicle systems. Certain engines may require modifications to the vehicle for fit and operation.
The installation and operation of these components or replacement engines in new vehicles is intended for off-road operation only."

page #29 on the following link.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...-web-1.pdf.zip
Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #25
cdb95z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I found the warranty voiding statement from the catalog I mentioned earlier.

"*The use of this engine or component in a new Chevrolet vehicle voids the vehicle powertrain warranty and may result in adversely affecting vehicle performance. In some cases, use of certain Chevrolet Performance components may result in the failure of other components or systems, thus voiding the warranty of the failed component or system. Chevrolet Performance components installed in new vehicles do retain their regular warranty coverage unless otherwise noted.
These engines and components have not been tested or validated by GM Engineering for use in these vehicles. Installation of compo- nents or engines in non-original applications may require fabrication or modifications that affect other vehicle systems. Certain engines may require modifications to the vehicle for fit and operation.
The installation and operation of these components or replacement engines in new vehicles is intended for off-road operation only."

page #29 on the following link.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...-web-1.pdf.zip
Insert "aftermarket" in place of: "Chevrolet Performance". No different. GM is just doing the legal dance.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #26
Midnight Rat

Thanks for the pics. That is one clean install you did there.
Quote:
The hookups are included in the kit and work great, but.....

I did have to do a bit of hot rodding here, partly because I'm a stickler for (some) mods have to look OE, or atleast look like they have some sort of symmetry with everything else. And yes, it is a GM (aftermarket) mod on a GM (OE) car, so please understand that there is a difference. I am talking about the PCV hookup, I did not like how GM put it all together. They did it the least expensive way, and I like the look of the pre-bent plastic tubing that they use on everything else.

I'm at work right now, I'll snap a pic sometime this evening. That will explain. The Kit includes parts to connect everything, but I did not like the look.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #27
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
It's hard to tell from pictures - from where is the built-in scoop pulling air? Can you see it from the upper grille?
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #28
cdb95z28

You can see the opening on the red Z/28 pic. It is not completely closed off, and no, you cannot see it from the upper grille. It is not as much of a seal system as some of the aftermarket CAIs. And I am fine with that, I'm not looking for every last drop of HP.