Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #99
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
Do'h

I don't think they will fit anywhere else on our cars... possibly the license plate (though they may be too big), but V-LEDs sells some really nice ones that work perfectly for our license plates... Maybe you can call and cancel one pair?

Actually, now I think about it, they may fit in the dome light and trunk light... but they may be too big for that....
Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #100
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
I can't seem to find the thread/post on the harness to make the DRL/FOG's and HALO's come on at the same time? I DON'T want to cut/chop OEM wires. Where do I get this?

Sorry if its on this thread, I am tired of searching, and did a search-couldn't find ?
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #101
Gangster
Camaro Crazy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM/Grey M6
do your leds match the halos? they look like they do. can we have the part number and where you got em? did you put those in the drl lamps or did you change to fog lamps and then change them? thanks for your help
Gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #102
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
The LEDs i bought are a little more blue than the Halos... but hard to tell.
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #103
thebrainhart

So my fog light mod finally failed: the socket came out of the housing (I did not silicone them in).
But it took an accident to cause it.

Over 27,000 miles and over 2 years of problem free use. No cosmetic problems, no socket problems, no LED problems, nothing!

If they total my Camaro, and I get another one, I'll definitely be doing this mod again. It still seems to be the most dependable and cheapest LED fog light mod.

FYI: VLEDS now has a 5k 8W bulb that is brighter, and pretty much the exact color of our headlights, but still a lot cheaper than the other LED fog lights on the market. I used them on one Camaro I did about a month ago, they look and perform great!
Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #104
Treefrog
U235 is fun!

Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainhart View Post
So my fog light mod finally failed: the socket came out of the housing (I did not silicone them in).

Over 27,000 miles and over 2 years of problem free use. No cosmetic problems, no socket problems, no LED problems, nothing!

If they total my Camaro, and I get another one, I'll definitely be doing this mod again. It still seems to be the most dependable and cheapest LED fog light mod.

FYI: VLEDS now has a 5k 8W bulb that is brighter, and pretty much the exact color of our headlights, but still a lot cheaper than the other LED fog lights on the market. I used them on one Camaro I did about a month ago, they look and perform great!
ahh sorry about your accident.. sucks for sure!

My mode, from which I copied yours is still working great.. I did, however, end up using silicon to fix my LED bulbs in place in the fog lites..

thanks again!
j
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #105
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
Quote:

I have a 2011 2SS/RS, so if I was to get the 5k White 15 LED 13W DRL P13W bulbs from V-LEDS, they would more closely match my HID headlights since these bulbs are 5k instead of 6k (which are a little bluer), AND I wouldn't have to change the stock DRL sockets since these are P13W bulbs? Would they just be plug and play?

Additionally, if I was to use a jumper wire from the sidemarkers to power the DRLs would that eliminate the need of diodes? Do I need to worry about the PWM signal?
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #106
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
If you cut the normal wires going to the DRL's (isolate them) you don't need the diodes.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 AM   #107
thebrainhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
I have a 2011 2SS/RS, so if I was to get the 5k White 15 LED 13W DRL P13W bulbs from V-LEDS, they would more closely match my HID headlights since these bulbs are 5k instead of 6k (which are a little bluer), AND I wouldn't have to change the stock DRL sockets since these are P13W bulbs? Would they just be plug and play?

Additionally, if I was to use a jumper wire from the sidemarkers to power the DRLs would that eliminate the need of diodes? Do I need to worry about the PWM signal?
In theory, yes, you could just plug and play those bulbs.
The purpose of the diodes is so the DRL circuit does not back feed into the park light circuit and turn them on. Using just a jumper wire without diodes could potentially cause problems.
I did a DIY on wiring it up with diodes here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44104
Unless you wanted to permanently disable your DRL function, and use them only as fog lights, then you could do as SJM stated, and cut the original DRL wires.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #108
Klepton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
If you cut the normal wires going to the DRL's (isolate them) you don't need the diodes.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
The purpose of the diodes is so the DRL circuit does not back feed into the park light circuit and turn them on. Using just a jumper wire without diodes could potentially cause problems.
Unless you wanted to permanently disable your DRL function, and use them only as fog lights, then you could do as SJM stated, and cut the original DRL wires.
If these are plug and play, then what was the purpose of you changing your sockets? I have read your DIY and I do prefer that route because it not only adds the nighttime fog light option, but it keeps the DRL function as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #109
thebrainhart

When I did this 2 1/2 years ago, nobody had LEDs for our DRLs, not even AAC, so I came up with an alternative that worked very well, and was priced cheap too. V-LEDs didn't even have that bulb a few months ago (that I saw anyways, this is the first time I've seen it there)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #110
Klepton

Quote:
I thought the diodes were used to prevent the LEDs from burning out prematurely due to the PWM signal in the DRL circuit? Or do they serve both purposes?

Quote:
When I did this 2 1/2 years ago, nobody had LEDs for our DRLs, not even AAC, so I came up with an alternative that worked very well, and was priced cheap too. V-LEDs didn't even have that bulb a few months ago (that I saw anyways, this is the first time I've seen it there)
Thanks, I figured as much but wanted to make sure it was the only reason and wasn't missing something.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #111
thebrainhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
I thought the diodes were used to prevent the LEDs from burning out prematurely due to the PWM signal in the DRL circuit? Or do they serve both purposes?
No, the diodes don't have anything to do with that, the reason those were burning out, is because those LEDs sucked.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #112
Speed2acer

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS Summit White/Inferno
Send a message via Skype™ to Speed2acer
the best off the cuff response to my lighting was from an old man looking at my 1968 MGB-GT that I had run old neon lights from a stolen sign.

"Who owns the Lunar Lander?".

it was the 80s