Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #43
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
All Blacky, but I don't want to modify my hood. I want a new hood so I can put mine on the wall at home and admire the awesome color even when I am not on the road.
On Order: Ported IM
Future Plans: Airlift Suspension - CF Driveshaft - 9in IRS - SC FI - Brembo Brakes - more Pfadt
Team
LLT
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #44
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Showstopper is working on one made of aluminum.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85029
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #45
Synner

Drives: cars
Hood pins don't necessarily means its a cheap hood; there's two ways of making them.

To use stock hinges typically metal plates are integrated into the fiberglass at the hinge and latch point. It adds weight but allows for OEM function.

People more interested in weight savings and racing can use hood pins which saves the weight of the metal braces as well as the hinges and latch that can be removed. Although every aftermarket hood so far weighs more than the stock aluminum so no one in their right mind would do this mod for that reason.

Both kinds of hoods can suck and be complete pieces of crap. You also want to avoid "race weight" hoods on a daily driver. They usually use half the fiberglass layers to keep weight down but have serious longevity concerns. They like to warp and don't deal well with heat.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #46
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Hood pins don't necessarily means its a cheap hood; there's two ways of making them.

To use stock hinges typically metal plates are integrated into the fiberglass at the hinge and latch point. It adds weight but allows for OEM function.

People more interested in weight savings and racing can use hood pins which saves the weight of the metal braces as well as the hinges and latch that can be removed. Although every aftermarket hood so far weighs more than the stock aluminum so no one in their right mind would do this mod for that reason.

Both kinds of hoods can suck and be complete pieces of crap. You also want to avoid "race weight" hoods on a daily driver. They usually use half the fiberglass layers to keep weight down but have serious longevity concerns. They like to warp and don't deal well with heat.
What I call Cheap fiberglass hoods are ones that make compromises where you cannot use the factory hinges or latch and also use a prop rod instead of a gas strut to hold them open...I want mine to work like origional but look cooler..
Old 07-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #47
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
What I call Cheap fiberglass hoods are ones that make compromises where you cannot use the factory hinges or latch and also use a prop rod instead of a gas strut to hold them open...I want mine to work like origional but look cooler..

Solution: ACS Composite. Here's a link. Top Top quality

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153768
Old 07-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #48
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
Solution: ACS Composite. Here's a link. Top Top quality

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153768
Not for sale yet.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #49
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
ok everyone i managed to stop bye on Friday but it was a busy weekend so i couldn't get on here.... pictures to fallow as well as possibly some better pricing...
Rockin the BlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #50
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

ok so i went by on friday afternoon and i talked to the owner of the company
they have been selling on ebay for a while but just recently moved out of a garage operation and started renting the office space they have now. they import these hoods from a company in china... they are fiberglass. i asked to see the hoods in his warehouse and he said sure... when we walked in there were two boxes open, one was the initial prototype they received and the other was the production model (i will show the difference in the pictures)

This is the inside edge where the vent is, very nicely done. no sharpe edges no wrinkles and the edges are very nice

this is the outside edge

This is the pre production style mounting for the honeycomb vent (pictures later) this style concerned me the metal tabs went through the honeycomb and bent over... very cheap (notice the wood bolted to the hood mount locations, this is what the hood stands on when it ships. it is not standing on the corners of the hood)

This is the production style, 3M tape and four fasteners looks much better

here is the honeycomb piece, it is about 1/4" black plastic. non painted and feels sturdy not flimsy...

This is the hood latch and is adjustable to make sure it function correctly.

i did not take a ful shot of the underside of the hood (the owner said he would send me some more pictures) but it look almost exactly like the underside of the stock hood with the exception of the fact that it is molded so there are no seam. it is very smooth.

i looked at the top side very carefully and i did not see any waves or cracks on the two that were opened.

the owner said if you are local and want to pick it up he will drop the price to $444 i think. i have it written down somewhere, but the price was lower than what was on ebay.

let me know if you guys have any other questions...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #51
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
So what do you think overall?
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #52
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Looks better than i thought it would. How were the edges of the hood? were they smooth or sharp, were there any imperfections where you think it would need additional work to make it fit? I would have to see a raw one (one that has not been tweeked yet) bolted up to a car to see if the edges lined up with the fenders and front bumper cover. Being it's made in China I am a little skeptical on the Quality and how it would hold up after a few years.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #53
Rockin the BlueSS
The New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
So what do you think overall?
for the money i think it is a good buy. if i had the money i would buy this hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Looks better than i thought it would. How were the edges of the hood? were they smooth or sharp, were there any imperfections where you think it would need additional work to make it fit? I would have to see a raw one (one that has not been tweeked yet) bolted up to a car to see if the edges lined up with the fenders and front bumper cover. Being it's made in China I am a little skeptical on the Quality and how it would hold up after a few years.
the overall hood was very nice, the edges were all rounded and glassed over. there were no exposed edges of fiberglass (i have seen this before were they cut the mold out) the seams were all hidden and everything looked like it would bolt right up...

as for the durability and the alignment i can not say... i only saw new ones out of the box and not on a car...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #54
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
After seeing the pics I'm really thinking about this hood seriously the best I've seen the seibon hood is 950 plus shipping this hood looks to be a steal
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #55
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I'm thinking I may order this sometime soon down the road. You could have it painted and installed for less than what some other hoods are going for unpainted.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #56
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I might be in the test boat towards getting this hood sometime soon (for me soon would be somewhere before Decemeber though) whoever pulls the trigger on this has to post pics when they test fit it!
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote