Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
xkrazymattx

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 1SS/RS M6
Functional hood with Vararam?

Are there any hoods that will allow the Vararam intake to function better? Im not sure how any air flow from the hood would get pulled into the VR intake.. Or at this point would it all be just purely for cosmetics.. ?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
The hood would be all cosmetics. The Vararam intake gets air from the front grille.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
xkrazymattx

that's what I figured but I just wanted to check with others just to make sure...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Functional air scoops work on air flow. Several years ago, techs found out that an air scoop to be effective has to be mounted as far forward as possible because otherwise the air goes up and over not "in." Ideally then, a grill scoop would have better function than a hood scoop. Exactly what are you seeking from your Vararam?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Yes its true in that the Vararam air source comes from the grill. I've spoken to Eric at MPD1 about a hood that would be beneficial for a VR equipped car. Eric asked me about a month ago when could he sell me a hood and I stated if I got one I wanted it to be more than just cosmetic but functional for my intake. I explained how the VR gets its air feed from the grill but it would be nice if he had a hood design that allowed the air to come in from a hood scoop, then fed directly to the VR filter. Eric would have to work the magic in the feed not allowing water to come in as he does with all his other works but I think it would nice if there were a hood to allow for maximum air feed. I don't think it could/would hurt the system.
With the cost of hoods these days being in the neighborhood of $800 before paint, its got to have some purpose for my party.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Yes its true in that the Vararam air source comes from the grill. I've spoken to Eric at MPD1 about a hood that would be beneficial for a VR equipped car. Eric asked me about a month ago when could he sell me a hood and I stated if I got one I wanted it to be more than just cosmetic but functional for my intake. I explained how the VR gets its air feed from the grill but it would be nice if he had a hood design that allowed the air to come in from a hood scoop, then fed directly to the VR filter. Eric would have to work the magic in the feed not allowing water to come in as he does with all his other works but I think it would nice if there were a hood to allow for maximum air feed. I don't think it could/would hurt the system.
With the cost of hoods these days being in the neighborhood of $800 before paint, its got to have some purpose for my party.
Has anyone seen pictures of the air flow pattern on our Camaros? The benefits of such an option would rise or fall on the way air goes over the hood. I would think for the expense, air flow patterns would be the important research.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Unfkwthabl

Drives: 2011 V6 Synergy Green Camaro
I think a better option would be to fab something tht will open up that mailslot and try and get air through there into the intake. It will be cheaper then a new hood and collect more air for the vararam.
Unfkwthabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfkwthabl View Post
I think a better option would be to fab something tht will open up that mailslot and try and get air through there into the intake. It will be cheaper then a new hood and collect more air for the vararam.
That of that too as I have the SS front bumper cover. The issue with that for me and why I'm not doing it is water. Driving in the rain could be killer. Using that opening an method needs to made to allow air to continue up and over the filter and possible water entry to be channeled below and out, off to the side.

In the meantime, I'm doing the mail slot SLP delete and if ever someone comes with a simple kit coversion, I'm on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfkwthabl View Post
This isn't an option. The major structural support for the front end is directly behind the mail slot. Trying to open it up would require someone to reengineer the entire structural support system for the whole engine bay.

You're not the first person to think about opening it up. If it was possible it would have been done three years ago.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
I think maybe having a vented hood, heat extractor etc.. would allow more flow through the grill. Which in turn could allow more flow to the Vararam. Just a guess.
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by godeepdown View Post
I think maybe having a vented hood, heat extractor etc.. would allow more flow through the grill. Which in turn could allow more flow to the Vararam. Just a guess.
MPD1 hoods offer a heat extractor which is a good thing for sure, to push that heat out of the engine bay. Erics hoods also offer an air dump for CAI made like Airaid, Roto and other CAI that have that side location mount.
I'd even go for a hood like the Leno hood that has the vents to allow the heat to get out.
For $800 plus I want more than just good looks from a hood.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
xkrazymattx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
MPD1 hoods offer a heat extractor which is a good thing for sure, to push that heat out of the engine bay. Erics hoods also offer an air dump for CAI made like Airaid, Roto and other CAI that have that side location mount.
I'd even go for a hood like the Leno hood that has the vents to allow the heat to get out.
For $800 plus I want more than just good looks from a hood.
It makes it a lot easier to spend that kind of money knowing your actually getting something functional from it instead of just looks.. I agree completely. I understand about the heat extraction from the engine bay... but was hoping to find something with a bit more purpose. All in all I really don't want to change out my VR as I have been loving the way it functions with everything else I have.. just wanted to see if there was a way to spruce it up a bit ya know