Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
hennesseyss10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
JET Mass Airflow Sensor

Does anyone have this installed? Just came across it.

"The JET Powr-Flo Mass Air Sensor delivers improved horsepower, torque and mileage by simply replacing the restrictive stock mass air sensor. The factory sensor not only is a major restrictive point in stock intake systems, but it also limits the full potential of aftermarket cold air intake systems. The flow bench tested design of the JET Mass Air Sensor provides airflow increases of up to 45% and installs in 10 minutes or less. Compatible with other aftermarket upgrades such as computer upgrades, cold air intakes, TBI spacers, free flow exhaust systems, etc More flow means more power!"
Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Buy it and use it as a doorstop. Trash.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
chazysoccer11

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
+1 Waste of money
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
hennesseyss10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the answers!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
has anybody actually logged this to say its a waste of money? not sure what the exact design for the camaro setup is, but the stock MAF is rather large and doesn't exactly help air flow with its blocky design. just think it would be interesting to see some feedback with test data.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
has anybody actually logged this to say its a waste of money? not sure what the exact design for the camaro setup is, but the stock MAF is rather large and doesn't exactly help air flow with its blocky design. just think it would be interesting to see some feedback with test data.
Yea I'm kinda wondering if there is anyone who actually has one on their car. Granatelli makes one also. I wonder how it would work with a custom tune.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

exactly! im with you on that. im also curious what their "custom flash" looks like compared to the "stronger" OEM MAF. what could it hurt to test it?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
camaro actual

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
exactly! im with you on that. im also curious what their "custom flash" looks like compared to the "stronger" OEM MAF. what could it hurt to test it?
Hope somebody post results
camaro actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
I have it and to me they look the same size
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Yeh, I have a Jet MAF and it looks the same as the stock. No problems, but as I near a tune though, I think it will come in handy to have some versatility if Jet isn't using smoke and mirrors. They seem like a good company....I don't get the bad rap given to one of their products. Well, time will tell. I am in conversation with Vararam about the use of the Vararam CAI and wedge. I will post results.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
How can it alleviate the restriction of the MAF when it has the exact same dimensions? As far as tuning, what is it going to help? The MAF is just a sensor. As long as the sensor is reading properly and is doing it fast, I don't see the need to buy another one to do the exact same thing. At least with VR's claim that some of the sensors were slow to react, they had a reason as to why a different one would be better. Stating MAF size as the sole reason for the increase in HP tells you their MAF does absolutely nothing for our cars.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

from what they show on summit...it is a different style MAF. haven't seen a pic of the actual MAF...just what is depicted on the website.

i don't see it as the MAF size as being the reason for the gains. if it were to be slimmer, smaller, sleeker...have a better aerodynamic profile, then it should provide gains. because i haven't tested one first hand or seen actual results as most people here, then who's certified to say "its a waste of money"?

if a MAF works like its supposed to, then why is there now a stronger OEM MAF? the original worked the way it was designed, correct? who's to say that the new OEM MAF can't be improved upon? i don't know all the technicals behind it, programming, or the how fast can it read before its too fast to be usable data? but whats it going to hurt to try it out and provide feedback? legit feedback, positive or negative is better than speculation or perpetuating internet rhetoric without facts.

Last edited by hapisok; 10-01-2012 at 01:37 PM.
hapisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I don't have one either but the Granettelli's MAF is a stock MAF recalibrated to be accurrate at higher hertz. The problem is, and no one has answered my question from one of the 100 other threads on them, who's overrunning their MAF to need one that reads higher. We have guys running 800+whp on the stock MAF and I haven't seen anyone say they needed a higher reading MAF. FWIW, Granatelli claims the Jet is a rebranded stock one. The poster above my original post said he does have one and it appearred to be the same dimensions as the stock one. VR made the claim that GM had a run of sensors that were weak. This was all based off it not working well with their intake. Apparently, later runs of the MAF showed them to read faster. If you want to join the many that tried them, then get one and report back. There's also a lot of information about them from using the "search this forum" box. This has been talked about numerous times.

Here's a few pics of the actual Jet MAF for our car. Looks like stock dimensions to me.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...Z-apwidRdvx8np
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

yup...looks like the dimensions are exactly the same. with a K23? FWIW, Jet admits that its a "re-flashed" OEM MAF...it was stated on the website that i saw. there has been a lot of conversation about the MAF's IIRC it didn't just apply toward VR intakes...but for any of the early 2010 builds. not so much an issue with newer ones...and i wouldn't go as far to say that just because a car is pushing 800 RWHP means that the MAF sensor is doing good job. they can be running in SD mode and completely by pass the MAF input. and i agree with your question about if the stock MAF can't keep up. from what i remember, the older version had issues with lower frequency readings...something like that, so don't quote me on it. found the link...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=weak+MAF

What makes a MAF sensor “weak” or “strong”?

The simple explanation is that “weak” sensors are not showing the same resistance levels as the “strong” sensors. The MAF sensors that have been identified as “weak” read 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off while a “strong” MAF reads at 1800MHZ. During on road, light throttle input the MHZ are slow and weak in response to throttle changes which is what causes the hesitation and throttle lag. At wide open throttle the “weak” MAF shows 120-170MHZ lower than the 8600MHZ the “strong” MAF sensors will show on the same car. Depending on what intake modifications are made the fuel trim with a “weak” MAF can range from -25% on the high end to -3% with just a simple aftermarket panel replacement filter. Pull the “weak” sensor and install a “strong” sensor and within seconds fuel trim is back to 0% and MHZ are back to 1800+. This will instantly change the personality of a car as was demonstrated in this post on Camaro5.com.

How can I tell if my MAF is “weak” or “strong”?

It is very simple. Remove the MAF sensor from your intake tube and take a look at the code inside the indented window. Any single letter MAF is “weak” and any MAF that features a letter followed by a number like the one in the picture below is “strong”.