Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
AC issue

I have a 2011 Camaro and I started having issues with it blowing warm every now and then. I tried adding freon 1st but that didn't stop the problem. I then changed out the AC pressure switch thinking that was causing the compressor to cycle on and off.
Now it blows cold air just fine, UNLESS I stop at a take off from a stop light. it blows cold at the light but as soon as I accelerate it blows warm until I level out about 5th gear then it blows cold again.
Clutch issue possibly. I've read the gap can be to wide causing the clutch to disengage sometimes.

Any thoughts??
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Magnificent

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Whats up Texas!
I cut and paste this out of the owners manual for 2012. I am not sure if 2011 is the same as far as receiving the DIC message. The ac compressor shuts off under different conditions like hard acceleration and maybe hard turns---not sure on that one. The circuitry involved with one or more of these may be the cause....especially if your ac works great the rest of the time.

Engine Cooling System
ENGINE TEMP
This message displays when the
engine coolant becomes hotter than
the normal operating temperature.
To avoid added strain on a hot
engine, the air conditioning
compressor automatically turns off.
When the coolant temperature
returns to normal, the air
conditioning compressor turns
back on. You can continue to drive
the vehicle.
If this message continues to appear,
have the system repaired by your
dealer as soon as possible to avoid
damage to the engine.
Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Camarojt

I don't think it's bc of engine Temps bc I can sit idling in a parking lot and my temp can get as high as 225 and it still blows cold air. It seems to be linked to take off from a light maybe g force. that's why I was curious about clutch engagement. I read that sometimes the clutch needs shimmer bc the gap gets too wide to make contact.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Camarojt

So far I have checked refrigerant level and added a little. guage shows right in the middle of range. Replaced the pressure switch, and also replaced the AC clutch relay. Still doing the same thing.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Magnificent

saw this in a similar thread

saw this in a similar thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaromann View Post
Well.......the 2012's are not immune to A/C problems either !

3 days with the car and the A/C (with less than 100 miles) was acting strange. It was not freezing cold (that is typical of GM cars) and then it went warm - then cold- then semi-cold - then cold - regardless of RPMs or outside temp.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they told me that there is already a reprogram for the computer relating to this issue. They promptly hooked up a laptop to the car and reprogrammed it, and on the way home the A/C was 100% cold the way it should be.

You would think that with the 2012 model year, the factory would have cleared out any known issues to these cars. I am told that my car was the 1st 2012 delivered in Miami. Regardless, the issues appears to be resolved - for now. I hope for good.........
and further down this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaromann View Post
--------------------------------------

To repeat my problem: The A/C was inconsistent and going from cold to warm to cold - on a repeated cycle. No strange smells, no clicking noises, and the compressor did not appear to be cycling on and off.

Okay....after five hours at the local dealer, the A/C is finally working like it should. (SO FAR)

First, the mechanic removed all of the 134a from the system and checked the content. He found that there was 2 ounces of freon TOO MUCH. The system is supposed to have .54kg (approx. 19 ounces) and my car had .61kg (approx. 21 ounces).

Then, he called GM to check if there was anything in their database relating to A/C issues for 2012, and asked them if having 2 extra ounces of 134a would effect the system's performance. Nothing to report from GM.

Then he refilled the system with the proper amount of 134a, and then hooked up a laptop computer to recalibrate the actuators for the internal dampening doors. Finally, he checked the A/C system control board.

We went drove for a 3 mile test drive in 95 degree weather, and the A/C was (finally) ice cold. More importantly, it stayed cold and did not cycle cold/warm/cold like before.

The mechanic thinks that the extra freon might have caused higher operating pressure, which might cuase the compressor to cycle too frequently. But, only 2 extra ounces - he discounted that as a reason for the problem. He did conclude that the recalibrating of the actuators for the dampening doors is most likely the reason for my issues. He explained that these doors open and close (to blend the cold air with heated air to acheive the desired temperature) based on an electrical voltage variations. He explained that the compressor is always working like it should, but that it is most likely that I was getting warm air blending intermittantly with cold air.

Problem solved. SO FAR. I have driven my car another 35 miles during intense afternoon heat & humidity, and all appears to work well.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Camarojt

Yep I have read both of these threads. I know it's not the 2nd one, after I read this post I let some refrigerant out just to see.
The car reprogram I thought about, but I don't trust taking it to a dealership, if you read every thread there are several guys that went to the dealership and they tore the car apart trying to replace the most complex stuff before really knowing the issue. Pulling front windshields, pulling the entire dash, panels inside.
For some reason it didn't act up today?? SMH
Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
Magnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
Yep I have read both of these threads. I know it's not the 2nd one, after I read this post I let some refrigerant out just to see.
The car reprogram I thought about, but I don't trust taking it to a dealership, if you read every thread there are several guys that went to the dealership and they tore the car apart trying to replace the most complex stuff before really knowing the issue. Pulling front windshields, pulling the entire dash, panels inside.
For some reason it didn't act up today?? SMH
Well the pressure will fluctuate with the ambient temperature so maybe letting a tiny bit out jives with the temperature today? These systems hold less freon than the older ones did so every little bit makes a difference. If it happens again you could tell the dealer what you want...to see if there is a program update. I get it though....I hate risking my financial future taking my car in to "see" what is wrong with it. It couldn't hurt to speak to the service writer though. They have access to all of the TSBs which I cant seem to get a complete read out of. I wish they were all posted in full on this website some where.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I just noticed this issue myself but not when taking off from a stop. Sometimes I'll start the car and the AC will never cool off and I have to either turn the car off again or sometimes simply turning the AC off/on once or twice solves the problem. It just started this year and this is really the first time I've used the AC pretty much every day.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote