Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Although I personally do not frown upon a smokey burn out before work, I know it just doesn't happen.... I'm afraid that pre-heating Goodyear's also doesn't happen during magazine testing... the top two tire manufacturers in the US provide tires that are superior in cold traction (guess which two) but they are not as durable and cheap as Goodyear's. I have a feeling, that when the GT500 and the ZL1 are compared in our popular publications, it will be like "Disney on Ice".. Where well known characters "try" to perform on a hardened surface, wearing performance costumes and moving about on sub-par equipment... with almost zero experience....
When you go for a lap around a track...by all rights the tester should perform multiple laps. It only take one or two to warm up the tires, depending on the length of the track.

I have a different opinion on the outcome of this comparison with the ZL1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz View Post
So when will the GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 ROF tires on the 2012 ZL1 Camaro be available to purchase?
After the ZL1 is released to the wild....or January 2012.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaz View Post
So when will the GoodYear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2 ROF tires on the 2012 ZL1 Camaro be available to purchase?

The ZL1 list the sizes as 285/35-20 and 305/35-20.

I have about 20,000 miles on my original tires and would like new CCW16a rims with these tires, but searchs come back empty.

I know they won't be cheap as my 2001 Vette has the F1 GS EMTs but they are 275/40 ZR 18s and 245/45 ZR 17s and total about $1500 for the set.
I didn't even see the 305s a couple weeks ago. I'm sure we'll see them soon I think I'll step up to at least some 315s when it's time to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
When you go for a lap around a track...by all rights the tester should perform multiple laps. It only take one or two to warm up the tires, depending on the length of the track.

After the ZL1 is released to the wild....or January 2012.
Also - from some of the spyshots we've seen, I think ZL1 transfers weight pretty well. A couple shots in the rain even seem to bare that out, for me.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #31
Civilian

Drives: Fast
Quote:
That said...it's still a street car, so I wouldn't expect you'd need to burn out every morning before your trek to work.
Need to no, but waking up the neighbors every morning will be fun.
Civilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #33
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Quote:
i like your way of thinking
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #34
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:

With a supercharged V8, your gonna want to cold lap it as much as possible. A heat soaked GT500 can lose between 10-15% of its power when soaked. Keep the superchargers on the drag strip, having your timing pulled because your intercooler is over jobbed is never fun... You could take the tires off and heat cycle them but I don't think magazine testers do that...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
With a supercharged V8, your gonna want to cold lap it as much as possible. A heat soaked GT500 can lose between 10-15% of its power when soaked. Keep the superchargers on the drag strip, having your timing pulled because your intercooler is over jobbed is never fun... You could take the tires off and heat cycle them but I don't think magazine testers do that...
Doesn't the GT500 do well with it's heat management?

I don't expect the ZL1 will have too much of a problem...not with the TVS rotors and the massive freaking intercooler their using, plus -- they've developed this car on the 'Ring...I'm absolutely positive they've taken into account FI heat management.

Besides...wouldn't you agree that properly-prepped tires will benefit the car's handling, braking, and acceleration...I'd think that would outweigh a few horsepower lost to heat soak.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #36
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Doesn't the GT500 do well with it's heat management?

I don't expect the ZL1 will have too much of a problem...not with the TVS rotors and the massive freaking intercooler their using, plus -- they've developed this car on the 'Ring...I'm absolutely positive they've taken into account FI heat management.

Besides...wouldn't you agree that properly-prepped tires will benefit the car's handling, braking, and acceleration...I'd think that would outweigh a few horsepower lost to heat soak.
As good as a superchargerd application can get I guess, major horsepower will be lost if timing starts to pull(which eventually happens when pushed). The dual brick intercooler should be better but I can't say for sure and the extractor will definately help at high speeds.

prepped tires or cold motor? hmmmmm..... I want both...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
As good as a superchargerd application can get I guess, major horsepower will be lost if timing starts to pull(which eventually happens when pushed). The dual brick intercooler should be better but I can't say for sure and the extractor will definately help at high speeds.

prepped tires or cold motor? hmmmmm..... I want both...
ICE.....

(Oh, and it's not dual-brick...it's a single-block like the CTS-V - it's actually fairly more efficient than the ZR1s intercooler.)
Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #38
porcupinekiller

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Doesn't the GT500 do well with it's heat management?I don't expect the ZL1 will have too much of a problem...not with the TVS rotors and the massive freaking intercooler their using, plus -- they've developed this car on the 'Ring...I'm absolutely positive they've taken into account FI heat management.

The 2012 GT500 received a 40% capacity upgrade to it's heat exchanger. It does much better in multiple lap situations than the prior cars. Where I live the temp is a little cooler. Even in the summer we rarely get much over 80 degrees (typical summer day is mid 70's) so I've had no problem with heat soak in my 2010 GT500. I do know that many guys living in hot summer climates upgrade their heat exchangers with Afco dual fan units to insure lower iat temp and prevent timing from being pulled due to heat soak. Changing to a smaller pulley (adding boost) will increase temp so a heat exchanger upgrade would be recommended to anyone performing this mod just to play it safe.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-...0-fans-p-30474
porcupinekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #39
Civilian

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyj9h View Post
i like your way of thinking
Funny, My neighbors don't.
Civilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Funny, My neighbors don't.
Look where we live, lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinekiller View Post
The 2012 GT500 received a 40% capacity upgrade to it's heat exchanger. It does much better in multiple lap situations than the prior cars. Where I live the temp is a little cooler. Even in the summer we rarely get much over 80 degrees (typical summer day is mid 70's) so I've had no problem with heat soak in my 2010 GT500. I do know that many guys living in hot summer climates upgrade their heat exchangers with Afco dual fan units to insure lower iat temp and prevent timing from being pulled due to heat soak. Changing to a smaller pulley (adding boost) will increase temp so a heat exchanger upgrade would be recommended to anyone performing this mod just to play it safe.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/07-...0-fans-p-30474
Thanks! I thought I remembered reading something along those lines.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #42
shl4Z28

Drives: 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
Sorry to revive a tired thread (no pun intended), do any of our wheel suppliers have anything in the works for these bad boys?!
shl4Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote