Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #29
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 8,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
To be honest no I wouldn't care LOL... good point. And I didn't mean it would have been bad just perhaps not as good.
And it's not HER fault if YOU can't make her moan.
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #30
Spurshot
 
Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Socal
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Driving an electric car would be like having sex with a woman that doesn't moan. Give me all of life's visceral sounds including the roar of a good ole V8...

Probably a lot of honesty and truth there. Especially for us gasoline raised babies. Hell, I’m more partial to a quartet of 2 barrel Weber carburetors than these ugly 1 throat EFI thingies. But I fully appreciate the functionality, reliability, and performance of EFI. D’you ever rebuild 4 Weber’s? It’s a full day of work. I’m a dinosaur.

That’s kinda where this electro-motive technology vs gasoline is like our current computer controlled gas engine cars vs carbs and flyweight advance, breaker points distributors. The simplistic reliability and near zero maintenance of that Tesla roadster electric motor(s) vs a highly complex, maintenance demanding, multi cylinder, incredibly expensive to maintain and repair, exotic Italian gas engine. Dinosaurs. We’re all gonna be dinosaurs.
__________________
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #31
Splat

 
Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Rochelle New York
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
If i gave you $150,000 to spend on your Camaro, you couldn't hit 1.9sec? That number isn't even proven yet and is two yrs away. Not to mention, Tesla will likely be worthless by then since their entire value is based solely on speculation and once the sharholders get continually disappointed by missed deadlines and non-deliveries, they won't be worth squat. Nobody will give them any more money. Musk is a dreamer and burning cash fast. New Semi, new Roadster is all bling to distract from the fact they can't build cars anywhere near as fast as GM's building the Bolt. They need more money and the latest announcements are to simply try and get more money. Tesla will get gobbled up soon by the REAL car manufacturers who actually have a place to service their vehicles once you buy one. I'd rather have an EV from any established Manufacturer rather than Tesla. The only reason they sell anything is because some people are drawn to the mystique of something different "grass is greener on the otherside".

I'm not against Ev's. Just Tesla until they prove they are a viable company rather than the worlds biggest startup who can't deliver. Oh yeah, they can't deliver on the cars they promised but Musk wants to send you on a rocket across country, build solar roofs, Transport trucks, roadsters ets...... What a joke. Why not focus on one thing and do it right.

Rant over
A lot of Truth here.
__________________
2012 1SS Camaro LS3 Inferno Orange
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, AEM CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #32
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
If i gave you $150,000 to spend on your Camaro, you couldn't hit 1.9sec? That number isn't even proven yet and is two yrs away. Not to mention, Tesla will likely be worthless by then since their entire value is based solely on speculation and once the sharholders get continually disappointed by missed deadlines and non-deliveries, they won't be worth squat. Nobody will give them any more money. Musk is a dreamer and burning cash fast. New Semi, new Roadster is all bling to distract from the fact they can't build cars anywhere near as fast as GM's building the Bolt. They need more money and the latest announcements are to simply try and get more money. Tesla will get gobbled up soon by the REAL car manufacturers who actually have a place to service their vehicles once you buy one. I'd rather have an EV from any established Manufacturer rather than Tesla. The only reason they sell anything is because some people are drawn to the mystique of something different "grass is greener on the otherside".

I'm not against Ev's. Just Tesla until they prove they are a viable company rather than the worlds biggest startup who can't deliver. Oh yeah, they can't deliver on the cars they promised but Musk wants to send you on a rocket across country, build solar roofs, Transport trucks, roadsters ets...... What a joke. Why not focus on one thing and do it right.

Rant over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
A lot of Truth here.
Can you point out the truth there seems to be a lot of, cause there ain’t none.

Tesla already has a reasonably priced car that does 60 in 2.2 seconds.
Tesla has a contract with NASA that will eventually run into the billions and god knows how many government subsidies he has in the billions and billions of dollars, not to mention his foreign sales and private investors. When you’re building rockets and space shit that actually works and people wanna buy THAT stuff, you probably can finance your car selling hobby all day long.
The waiting list for some of these cars, especially the Model S is up to 7 month and yes, it depends on how deep your pockets are.

The grass IS greener on the other side. Tesla’s automotive tech is being copied because Musk allows it to be and it’s better. If they aren’t copying it yet, they probably will be or they’ll take it, tweak it and call it thier own because that’s the American way, LOL. Either way, you’ll be rollin with Tesla under your ass.

Let the people speak. I’m not a Tesla “fanboy”. But that is one fascinating automobile, and when something is fast like that...it’s gonna capture the imagination of gear heads....and it’s gonna piss off some gear heads.

I think, and let me emphasize I THINK, it’s just a matter of time before we see Tesla sponsored racing vehicles. The first guy that rolls the dice on this, and figures out how to do it is gonna be rich. I don’t know how that’s going to work, or if there will be any rule changes.. but there’s on old saying many of you are familiar with.

“Win on Sunday. Sell on Monday.”


Butthurts a comin’.
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #33
MrTwenty6
 
MrTwenty6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 15
The investment world is my profession - needless to say, I have had the (un)fortunate pleasure of hearing/listening/reading/talking ad nauseum about Elon Musk. My professional opinion has no purpose here but my personal take is this:

I hope Musk is wildly succesful and outsells MB/BMW/Audi and every sports car manufacturer out there. I hope he is so successful that becomes the Crassus of our times (multiple times richer than Gates), with a literal infinite money pot. He is the only billionaire i've seen who has decided traffic was soul crushing and actually wants to do something about it!

If this guy can solve traffic (through whatever machinations he can dream of), give him all the success and resources in the world to do it!

Traffic is ruining my life.
MrTwenty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
6 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO, 16 Encore, 07 Colorado
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Until you factor in battery manufacture, disposal, etc. Then the gap closes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Ah very good point the battery disposal is a huge deal...
Companies are already doing small scale recycling of lithium batteries and technology is being developed to do it on a large scale. Prediction is by 2025 lithium battery recycling will be a major industry. This is a must if electric cars are going to work long term.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #35
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwenty6 View Post
The investment world is my profession - needless to say, I have had the (un)fortunate pleasure of hearing/listening/reading/talking ad nauseum about Elon Musk. My professional opinion has no purpose here but my personal take is this:

I hope Musk is wildly succesful and outsells MB/BMW/Audi and every sports car manufacturer out there. I hope he is so successful that becomes the Crassus of our times (multiple times richer than Gates), with a literal infinite money pot. He is the only billionaire i've seen who has decided traffic was soul crushing and actually wants to do something about it!

If this guy can solve traffic (through whatever machinations he can dream of), give him all the success and resources in the world to do it!

Traffic is ruining my life.
Traffic is the result of people not wanting to let go of personal transportation. Trains are far more efficient at moving people in and out of cities, but they started dying off in the 1950’s.

Be careful what you wish for, because some liberal lawmaker will decide if gasoline is $15/gallon less people will drive and therefore it’ll solve the “traffic problem“.
Royal Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #36
xc_SS/RS


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: somewhere in MD
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Can you point out the truth there seems to be a lot of, cause there ain’t none.

Tesla already has a reasonably priced car that does 60 in 2.2 seconds.
Tesla has a contract with NASA that will eventually run into the billions and god knows how many government subsidies he has in the billions and billions of dollars, not to mention his foreign sales and private investors. When you’re building rockets and space shit that actually works and people wanna buy THAT stuff, you probably can finance your car selling hobby all day long.
The waiting list for some of these cars, especially the Model S is up to 7 month and yes, it depends on how deep your pockets are.

The grass IS greener on the other side. Tesla’s automotive tech is being copied because Musk allows it to be and it’s better. If they aren’t copying it yet, they probably will be or they’ll take it, tweak it and call it thier own because that’s the American way, LOL. Either way, you’ll be rollin with Tesla under your ass.

Let the people speak. I’m not a Tesla “fanboy”. But that is one fascinating automobile, and when something is fast like that...it’s gonna capture the imagination of gear heads....and it’s gonna piss off some gear heads.

I think, and let me emphasize I THINK, it’s just a matter of time before we see Tesla sponsored racing vehicles. The first guy that rolls the dice on this, and figures out how to do it is gonna be rich. I don’t know how that’s going to work, or if there will be any rule changes.. but there’s on old saying many of you are familiar with.

“Win on Sunday. Sell on Monday.”


Butthurts a comin’.
Are you getting paid by Tesla or something?

Anyway, I don't think you can call it 'copying' if you share your information to the public. Now If you want to really see what copying looks like then look no further than here: https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-greates...ade-1694449178

There is no 7 month wait time for a Model S. Quick google search showed me people were getting their cars within 30-60 days. Recent posts as well (October 2017) and it was the S and X being delivered timely.

Which car of theirs is 'reasonably priced' and can do 2.2 sec 0-60?
__________________
2010 2SS/RS
Vararam Tune, Hand Port TB, Speed Engineering 1-7/8" LT's, ATI Super Damper 10% UD, 160* T-stat, Kooks street sleeper, Dynosteve tuneage, ZL1 sways, various bushings and stickers. 12.72 @112.36

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 11-21-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: for proper quoting
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #37
SquawkVFR
Once upon a time...
 
SquawkVFR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Are you getting paid by Tesla or something?

Anyway, I don't think you can call it 'copying' if you share your information to the public. Now If you want to really see what copying looks like then look no further than here: https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-greates...ade-1694449178

There is no 7 month wait time for a Model S. Quick google search showed me people were getting their cars within 30-60 days. Recent posts as well (October 2017) and it was the S and X being delivered timely.

Which car of theirs is 'reasonably priced' and can do 2.2 sec 0-60?
If I shared my homework with you and you wrote exactly onto your paper what was on my paper, that would still be called be copying.

If the wait for the models have become better, then bravo google. I know a couple waiting on specific color that are waiting a little longer.

Reasonably priced is subjective. I can retract that if it makes you feel better.

This is trivial shit. .

That link you shared..... those are baaaad and ugly copies.....LOL
__________________
#76,458 of 129,405. Fancy floor mats, AC, painted lug nuts, high thingy on the back, thingy in the receptacle, low thingy on the front, loud thingy in the middle, sucker uppers and castle back smoke stack super jet.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #38
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,388
Thats really quick....but to me its not just a speed thing. Dead quiet....no shimmy ...no shake. Having the rumbling stumbling v8 to me is something ive enjoyed since I was as kid. Even today if I hear a stout v8 going by im looking. Ive been right beside Teslas at stoplights I give them a look. But its uninspiring to me with zero attraction. Sure its quick but thats where it ends. Give me a harding charging nasty sounding v8 over that car anytime
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
JBA shorty headers
Solo high flow cats
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #39
Spurshot
 
Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Socal
Posts: 450
The plug-in electric-battery car as we know it today has limited growth potential due to the electrical supply grid capacity. If a large number of people get electric cars in a major metro area, the power from the grid is not capable. Other technologies will have to be integrated with the electric motor and battery car to produce their own on-board electricity.

Early in this thread, someone inferred electric motors and or cars were new. The electric motor goes back to the early 1800s. The gasoline engine came along later. Electric motor carriages/automobiles continued to be developed from about the mid 1800s onward.

Musk is a dreamer. And I don't mean an undocumented resident. This country was founded and succeeded on real dreamers like Musk. I hope he succeeds too. Would I buy Tesla or SpaceX stock? Hell no. I'm within a few years of retirement.
__________________
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #40
Spurshot
 
Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Socal
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
...
Anyway, I don't think you can call it 'copying' if you share your information to the public. Now If you want to really see what copying looks like then look no further than here: https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-greates...ade-1694449178

...
Everyone copies everyone else to a great extent. Certain things are patentable, most ideas are not. Most designs are not patentable. Very few car shapes and parts are patentable. Reverse engineering a part or a vehicle is open for grabs if you don't violate any patents or copyrights in the process. Emerging nations industries always start out copying and go from there. The emerging U.S. industries did many of the same things in the centuries past. The gun industry in the U.S. was founded on copies. Many gunmakers were directly from other English gun companies and simply brought the designs here and started making them. Japan did the same thing to rebuild itself. In fact, the U.S. took designs to Japan to be replicated and build their economy.

Look no further than these...
McDonnell Douglas MD-12 concept super jumbo jet, circa early 1990s vs Airbus A380 10 years later. You think maybe there was a bit of concept stealing going on? For my part, I hope the A380 bankrupts Airbus.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #41
Camaro Dude
and Sledge
 
Camaro Dude's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 1LE, 2SS, NPP
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Well, that just about wraps it up fellas. You figure two more generations, or less, and the ⚡️ electric industry will be erasing all the fuel driven speed records. It’s sad that it takes so much of the human factor out of the equation, but adds it back in when you think about how hard all the brainiacs and engineers worked to get to this point.
2 more generations is a loooongs way away. The dudes in the deep state, will F everything up for everybody long before then, as everybody zzzzzzzzzz watching cable and primetime and eating chips, lol.

Also, everyone here seems to be immersed on 0-X times, meaning from a dig and not a roll.

Sure it can do 2-3sec zero to 60, but 60-100+ they are still not there .

Trap speeds reflect this to a certain extent.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #42
wakespeak

 
wakespeak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,053
Porsche and Ferrari should be concerned because the prestige market is completely new - and good for an American company to steal the thunder. Spending 200k-300K on a Ferrari is something that will be clearly threatened with this new car. Are you going to impress with a Ferrari or Tesla? I would bet on Tesla hands down. The Model S is outselling BMW and Mercedes combined in many markets.

The question is, when does Ferrari come out with a direct competitor? Two years? Five years? The real problem is the existing OEMs not being able (or willing) to change quickly enough, not that there is a tech gap with Tesla. In the meantime Tesla has time to build brand and be Apple. We'll see.

Personally I think the driving experience will still be fun, just not the same. Sort of like a P-51 Mustang vs an F-86 Sabre.
__________________
NPP, 1LE track pack, ZL1/1LE shifter, Apex catch can, 1LE oil separator, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines,1LE strut tower brace. Wheels: 19x10 front and 19x11 rear w/1LE offsets. Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings. Z/28 upper control arm bushings.

Last edited by wakespeak; 11-25-2017 at 12:11 AM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.