Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS
Well I finally decided to take the dive

My catch can came in the mail, I love the weight of it, and I appreciate the fact that it doesn’t feel cheap. Also fedex really hustled, this wasn’t suppose to be here till Friday so I am pleasantly surprised.

How long should this take to install? Looks fairly straight forward on the website.

At 76K I figured an ounce of prevention is worth it
Old 11-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You might try some SEAFOAM now also.....and install is fairly quick; its hard though to get the retaining clips off the stock PCV lines though without using needle noses to pop them out from the area under the throttle body on the intake and not damage anything but other than that its a easy bolt on.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Jus1dab

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Great can! I have one myself. Easy to empty too.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
Jus1dab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
That is one beautiful catch can. Gorgeous.
JLSuperfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Clips are not that hard. Got one just like it.
11:18 starts showing the clip and hose area

Old 11-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
gringo

Drives: Camaro
You don't really need a catch can. With PFI, the fuel washes over the back of the intake valves reducing any coking that would become a problem with D.I..
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 AM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
You don't really need a catch can. With PFI, the fuel washes over the back of the intake valves reducing any coking that would become a problem with D.I..
You don't really NEED a 300+ horsepower car for driving on the street, either, but hey. Excess is fun.
BMR 1" lowering springs, trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified FULLY 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. Tuned by Ronnie @ RS Motors in Burnsville.
438 WHP, 406 WTQ on a Mustang Dyno

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
You don't really NEED a 300+ horsepower car for driving on the street, either, but hey. Excess is fun.
Yeah, but it helps when you got to merge on the freeway with all those pesky Camry's, F150's and Kia Optima's blocking your way. lol!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Gringo you need a catch can...... then you may see for yourself.....or go ahead and bury your head in the sand.... Science.....or you could just clean out the gunk over and over that clogs the intake tract...... sure its not that much just a few ounces every few thousand miles....
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I did an Elite Catch Can install video on the L99, for the LS3 the ports for connecting the inlet and outlet hoses are right next to each other at the front lower area of the intake manifold. Good luck and it's a pretty quick easy install. A catch can is very important to keep your intake system oil free. See my video below.

Back In The Saddle - Earley 2010 2SS IBM A6 #10244 Built - Roto-Fab CAI, Muffler/CAT Delete, Mickey Thompson ET DRs, RDP Tune,
BW Stage II Ported TB, Speed Engineering 1-7/8" Longtubes, ZEX Nitrous 125HP Shot, Lingenfelter 160* Stat, NGK TR6IX Spark Plugs & Elite Catch Can.
Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 - 11.76 sec @ 117.3 - 1.61 sec 60' - 1/4 mile pass
Check Out My Youtube Channel For 5th Gen Camaro Drag Racing & How To Mods https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyG...GR9gDm6PO-27rg
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Gringo you need a catch can...... then you may see for yourself.....or go ahead and bury your head in the sand.... Science.....or you could just clean out the gunk over and over that clogs the intake tract...... sure its not that much just a few ounces every few thousand miles....
I already have a catch can since I have the V6 which has direct injection. However, since the L99 and LS3 are port fuel injected, I don't know how effective a catch can would be on those engines.

My GTA has the L98 which is port fuel injected and I don't have any problems with oil clogging my intake. In fact, I've had the intake manifold off to reseal it and everything was fairly clean inside the intake passages. Some carbon, but definitely no buildup of oil gunk or anything like that. Original engine with 75K miles on it.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
Here is my things. Lets say I now want to install a catch can. Car has 60,000k on it. The catch can would help going forward but what about the oil already there? How do we clean it...any posts on that?
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Don't know if anyone has posted a step by for the 8 but here's one for the 6.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489902
Old 11-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #14
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Here is my things. Lets say I now want to install a catch can. Car has 60,000k on it. The catch can would help going forward but what about the oil already there? How do we clean it...any posts on that?
Have seen "some" people use carb cleaner. They spray it in while the car is running. Others have used seafoam