Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Thoughts (and a coupe questions) from a new owner after 10 days

I bought the car (2012 2SS) 10 days ago, and have put on about 400 miles already. Here are my thoughts:

*No tickets yet, but I can't see that lasting much longer. It is tough to stay under the limit on surface streets when the car hits 50 before shifting to third gear.

*The sight lines were all reviewers mention, but it really has been a complete non-issue to me. Changing lanes, merging, etc - quite comfortable - especially when there is that extra kick of speed if needed always at the ready.

*I actually like the simplicity of the non-touch screen radio. I came from a Grand Cherokee, and the touch screen was more trouble than it was worth. My iPhone works better with the 2012 standard radio in the Camaro. The Sound system is great also.

*Drove in the rain with All-Season tires - no trouble at all. Will probably avoid snow of any accumulation.

*Spent 3 hours last Saturday doing a complete inside and out detail, including a careful wax job. The black was so deep my eyes had a hard time discerning where the surface began. After 5 minutes of driving, I was ready to wash it again. Such is life with a black car.

Overall, it has been much better than I even hoped, and my hopes were high. Absolutely love my car.

One question: the stereo has 6 "favorites" lists which is way more than I need. Is it possible to cut that down to 2 or 3? 6 is too many, but to go from the second to the first I have to click through 3-6.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
EZurcher

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Bone stock
There is a setting for the lists where you can cut them down. Auto or 6 speed. If it's manual I would buy a skip shift eliminator today. Makes the car less frustrating when driving at sane speeds.
EZurcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
yes, you can change the number of preset "pages" in the settings. fiddle around with the Menu button and you will see the choices.

welcome to the club!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The Camaro's a great car and I agree I see just fine out of it and always did. That whole thing was overblown by magazine types IMHO. Congrats!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS

MODS: VARARAM CAI, Interior piping, Painted Calipers, Catch Can.....
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
nancygrl
銀幽霊

Drives: '17 Z71 Truck
Post up some pictures...I can't wait to get back into a 5th gen
Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Sd Kfz 182

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99 GFX Convertible
You got the best color! Congrats.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Camcar

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I was skeptical when I bought mine, but once I started driving it I realized that the complaints about visibility, trunk space, etc were way overblown, in my opinion. I babied it around with only a few aggressive pokes on the throttle for several months. Then a few days ago my brother talked me in to turning off the traction control and jumping on it a bit. My knees were shaking for about an hour after that little experience. I might have a little less tread on my back tires, but I've got a bunch more respect for what these cars are...
Camcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I underestimated the 5th gen. I sold my harley, bought the 1le, figured after a year or 2 I'd crave something else. I can't imagine selling it now...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #10
gringo

Drives: Camaro
The funny thing is after I drive the Camaro, every other regular car seems like a popemobile when you drive or sit in them.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
yup..love my Camaro. Putting it away for winter only makes me crave spring again.

Same with my motocross bike.
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Congrats. I miss my carbon black paint. That car was just slightly cylinder-challenged. Lol. Crystal Red Metallic SS ain’t so bad!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
*The sight lines were all reviewers mention, but it really has been a complete non-issue to me.
Be sure and let us know when you get your first curb rash. Enjoy!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Be sure and let us know when you get your first curb rash. Enjoy!
I must be doing something wrong, 2 years with mine and never hit a thing.

followed by empathetic but also some genuine comments but mostly nut sucking the v6 owner
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote