Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
New Car & Driver issue: Camaro vs. Genesis

I just picked up this new issue - haven't read it yet, but looks like a great article putting the Hyundai Genesis up against the V6 Camaro.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
some things I picked out of the article:

So we sent out invitations, but Ford and Dodge didn’t RSVP, choosing silence instead. Here’s why: The Camaro LT and the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 are both spanking-new four-valve twin-cammers with independent multilink rear suspensions, and their outputs are on top of each other: 306 horsepower for the Genesis, 304 for the Camaro. Neither Ford nor Dodge can make like claims. It’s more than a little frustrating that the V-6 in Ford’s latest Mustang produces a pitiful 210 horses from greater displacement than either Chevrolet or Hyundai requires.

Although it delivered better test-track numbers, the Genesis coupe lost major points to the Camaro for two reasons. First, its ride is harsh. Every heave, crack, dimple, and hummock in the tarmac finds its way into the cabin and up your spine. So firm is the ride that, at the limit, the chassis feels jittery, nervous. Even under light braking, we’d often feel a pulse of the ABS from whichever wheel had most recently lost touch with Mother Earth. If you live in a ravaged-road state, forgo the Track pack.

Second, although Hyundai’s manual six-speed shifter offers short and direct throws, the clutch is too heavy and, worse, the driveline and engine aren’t talking to each other. The transmission is overeager to bind, wind up, and snatch if the driver too quickly tips in or out of the throttle. It’s annoying to have your head snap with every shift. No car should actively resist a driver’s attempts at smoothness. At the very least, this trait must be introducing needless shock to the gear teeth and half-shafts.

Fourteen-thousand folks have already laid down earnest money to secure a Camaro, but we hope none of them is taller than five-ten. That’s because the roof has been seriously slammed what???
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
GOOD!

YEA!!!!!!
C & D tends to knock anything made in America so this is good to see.

My only comment is the remark about front seat headroom...did the reviewer forget to lower the seat???

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Lovestanda
Large Member

Drives: Yugo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
YEA!!!!!!
C & D tends to knock anything made in America so this is good to see.

My only comment is the remark about front seat headroom...did the reviewer forget to lower the seat???
most reviews have said the seats are wide and made for the American cheeseburger eating male. Most have said the roof is low. Is the Camaro only for the short and fat? I remember reading here that a 6' 8" guy had enough headroom and I have not heard too many complaints about the seats being too wide to suppory hard cornering.

I thought the C&D article was very good!! Nice burnout picture by the way!!
Lovestanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
RPO F55

Drives: 2005 C6 Corvette
I am not so sure this is a good article. Camaro won, but only because of the "gotta have it" factor. If you look, it lost on the other categories including performance and handling. If it were not for the gotta have it factor, which is subjective and not something that will last indefinitely, Camaro lost this test. Kind of surprising that C&D would choose to headline the 6 cylinder over the SS.
RPO F55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
I'm 5'11" and I fit in the Camaro just fine. Typical asian-loving, America-hating C&D B.S. They need to move to the Far East. Then they can drool over their little tinny rice-burners all they want. I don't want a car that goes bink! when I slam the door.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
blinkme323

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO F55 View Post
I am not so sure this is a good article. Camaro won, but only because of the "gotta have it" factor. If you look, it lost on the other categories including performance and handling. If it were not for the gotta have it factor, which is subjective and not something that will last indefinitely, Camaro lost this test. Kind of surprising that C&D would choose to headline the 6 cylinder over the SS.
+1

The purely subjective "gotta have it" factor was the only reason the Camaro won (by 1 point). Take that away and the Genesis wins handily. C&D should be ashamed, that category basically gives them license to award the win to whoever they want regardless of the previous scores.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO F55 View Post
Kind of surprising that C&D would choose to headline the 6 cylinder over the SS.
They were comparing to another V6, so they could not use the SS. Bottom line, driving the Genesis around how many people would be flipping over the car? In comparison, I go anywhere in my Camaro and the car is a rock star.
There is an aura that exudes from this car that the Genesis can only dream of.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
+1

The purely subjective "gotta have it" factor was the only reason the Camaro won (by 1 point). Take that away and the Genesis wins handily. C&D should be ashamed, that category basically gives them license to award the win to whoever they want regardless of the previous scores.
but at the same time, the 'gotta have it' factor is undeniable for the Camaro. Someone even abbreviated that and used it as their screen name here: gtahvit
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Wow, sucky ass Genesis ride quality? And an engine/drivetrain that can't talk to each other? And this almost wins over the Camaro? C&D have been on crack for years, and more and more evidence proves this every time a new issue comes out.

I'll stick with my Red Blooded North American Chevy please!