Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #169
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardailsmith View Post
You guys go on about the $1,000 cost of the A6 but you are willing to pay the extra $600.00 for the stripe package. Tell me how do the rally stripes make you faster.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #170
SolocamaroSS

Drives: SS camaro
I loved camaros all my life so when I decided to buy one the choice was auto or manual I never learned to drive a manual but I was willing to learn but a friend convinced me to get the auto because of new York traffic and also I could mess up the trans of my brand new car. Nevertheless I love my camaro maybe next one will be a manual
SolocamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #171
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
I bought the manual 6 because I feel like I'm a bigger part of the driving experience with it vs an automatic. Just plain fun.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #172
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
When I decided to get serious about drag racing, I changed my car over to an auto.

4500 stall, reverse manual valve body, trans brake. That was a blast. That was the only automatic trans I had that I enjoyed playing with. Automatics CAN be fun, but I attribute it mostly to the torque convertor that was custom made $900 and that lovely trans brake.

Tapshift is a gimmick, don't even compare it to the F1 inspired paddle shifting transmissions, that's like comparing a Tremec to a Lenco. Some dude let me drive his Challenger with the sideways shift poop which is basically the same as Chevy's tapshift. I noticed the Ram truck had the same thing...weak.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #173
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Don't know how to drive a manual so I got an automatic.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #174
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xedes View Post
Someone should inform the owners of these exotics that they aren't having any fun.

You do know that the Camaro is made by GM, right? And, get this, it's under $100,000! These cars are fun for other reasons....and you don't get to compare the sloppy A6 in your Camaro to the highly tuned, very expensive, racing transmission in the cars you have pictured here.

Also, just for the record….TAPshift is a toy…you are not really shifting the car, you are telling the computer to shift up/down and it waits a few seconds before it decides if in can obey you.

In my experience, any “manual mode” in an automatic car performs poorly and sucks the soul out of the car just as much as putting the car in “D”.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #175
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I searched for any ZL1 in White and No Sunroof (nothing else mattered) Found a manual..

It was basically a coin toss so I took it out of the equation. Pros and Cons both ways.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #176
JoansDriver
Hoser Orange

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
You do know that the Camaro is made by GM, right? And, get this, it's under $100,000! These cars are fun for other reasons....and you don't get to compare the sloppy A6 in your Camaro to the highly tuned, very expensive, racing transmission in the cars you have pictured here.

Also, just for the record….TAPshift is a toy…you are not really shifting the car, you are telling the computer to shift up/down and it waits a few seconds before it decides if in can obey you.

In my experience, any “manual mode” in an automatic car performs poorly and sucks the soul out of the car just as much as putting the car in “D”.
Not everyone bought it as a race car. I'd rather have a manual, but I'd hardly call the experience of driving an auto "soul sucking".
JoansDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #177
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post

X2

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #178
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Auto because driving a manual 10 hours every day would get boring and irritating quick. It also lets you wave with one hand while passing someone that missed a gear. ;P
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #179
gr8whitebuff

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
I have the best of both worlds my dd witch is a cruze is a auto and my weekend slash nice day car is a 6 speed
gr8whitebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #180
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
manual. every car I've owned with the exception of my first ( a mustang) and altima (CVT, neither auto nor manual) has been a stick. I just prefer it. way back in the day I always went stick because they were so much more reliable and cheaper to fix. seemed like autos were always having problems or leaking something would cost a fortune to repair. with a stick you can either drive it right and never have a problem or dog it and just replace a clutch every once in a while. I'm sure the autos out there now are more reliable though

But I can see the appeal of an auto. my camaro is a weekend toy, but if I were driving it every day in heavy traffic I'd probably prefer an auto. it's not so bad in a smaller car, but it can be a PITA in a boat like a camaro.

oh, and for everyone saying the paddle shifters are like a manual,

they're like a manual in about the same way a bicycle is like a motorcycle.

Last edited by jd10013; 07-28-2012 at 06:21 AM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #181
EnjoyLife

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Vert bought 9/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartian View Post
I am sorry, and no offense but have you thought about the damage to your right knee? I tend to strain that more on the gas/break than i ever did on the clutch. Seriously, unless it is previous damage I cannot fathom damaging a knee on a clutch and not the gas/break
No offense taken. As you can see, we are different. You strain your right knee and I strain my left knee. I guess, maybe our commutes have been different than each others over the years. My clutches have always taken a lot more effort to push than my gas pedals.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #182
Eel125

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE shadow grey
I chose a manual because my wife and kids cant drive a stick . Do i need any other reason . Now it is "MY" car
Eel125 is offline   Reply With Quote