Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #71
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Link me on a place to get more info
I think it's just ammonyc.com

By the way, doing a buddy's truck this weekend, perfect opportunity to try out the Skin

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #72
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I think it's just ammonyc.com

By the way, doing a buddy's truck this weekend, perfect opportunity to try out the Skin

Sweet,let me know how it goes.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #73
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
On the AMMO website, I watched the video of the guy washing his Mustang. What brand of foam gun is he using and would the soap to water be set low?
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #74
CamaroDreams07

Alright boys and girls, FINALLY my ankle and wrist felt well enough to get out and do a moderate little detail on my car today. Did a strip wash, clay and then applied Ammo Skin Defense Coat. So here's a little review, sorry for the delay.

After being blown away by their car shampoo, then pretty underwhelmed by their detailer/spray wax, I wasn't sure what to expect from Skin.

From Ammo: "AMMO Skin is a defense coat, and is the foundational layer of protection. It is a sticky polymer-based coating that adheres to the clear coat, wrapping the paint in a hard film. It acts like a shell."

Value: 3/5 At $65/bottle, she ain't cheap. Not at all. I felt like I used just as much, perhaps more, than I do with other sealants (Blackfire etc). Of course, price is only part of value, and it could be worth it if it's really great. Time will tell.

Name:  IMG_20130412_121419 (Small).jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  78.6 KB

Ease of Use: 2/5 This is far from the easiest sealant to apply. The directions say to apply by hand with a foam applicator, allow to sit for 1-3 minutes, then buff off. First of all, this stuff is so thick, it's more like applying glue than sealant. At first, it was very hard for me to spread it. It just wanted to stick the first place I set down my applicator. What I ended up doing was dabbing it in different spots within my section and then going back and spreading it all evenly. That helped a lot. It actually takes a lot more product than I'm used to. We're so used to spreading stuff very very thin, that it took me awhile to get used to putting enough on the pad.

This is how much I used for 1/6 of the hood

Name:  IMG_20130412_121612 (Small).jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  64.7 KB

Ok, so it's not the easiest to apply. How about removal? Well, that depends. The instructions say to leave it for 1-3 minutes before removing. To me, that read, "Ok, do a couple panels then come back. Short cure time." Wrong. What that means is 1-3 minutes. Not 4, not 5, certainly not 6. Wait too long and it's a bear. Do it the way Larry asks you to, it comes off perfectly. Now, I have heard Larry talk about people that leave it to cure for 12+ hours and then come back and buff it off. I'm not sure how that would work.

Quick tip for anybody using this: Make sure you have plenty of microfiber buffing towels available. This stuff is so thick, it clogs up the fibers really fast. Fold your towel into 8's and flip to clean sides often.

Finish: 5/5 Skin leaves a very clear look. Not plasticy or distorted like some sealants do. Good shine, but that's really not a sealants job. It's very clear and lets properly polished paint shine through, which is all you can ask.

Durability: ?/5 We'll see. For the price and the hassle of application, this is going to have to be bulletproof for me. If I can get Blackfire for much cheaper, apply it much easier, and get 6 months protection, this better last longer than that and hold up to environmental factors better. It's priced way up there, it needs to deliver.

Finished pics

Name:  IMG_20130412_133509 (Small).jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20130412_133637 (Small).jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20130412_135607 (Small).jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  124.3 KB
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #75
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Thanks.

What criteria do you use to judge the longevity? I just reseal about every 6 months.... as I have not figured out a way to judge a sealants actual performance...
especially since I always cover mine in wax every couple of months.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer as you have one of the cleanest looking gen5s I have seen.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #76
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Thanks.

What criteria do you use to judge the longevity? I just reseal about every 6 months.... as I have not figured out a way to judge a sealants actual performance...
especially since I always cover mine in wax every couple of months.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer as you have one of the cleanest looking gen5s I have seen.
When I'm testing, I apply the sealant and don't use anything else but soap on it. No wax, no reapplications. When the water stops beading, you're seeing sealant failure. There are also things like how easily do bugs wipe off, but the main thing I see is how long it takes for the water to start puddling up.

I admit, it's not an exact science, but it's the best I can do. It's difficult for me to remove enough variables for precise comparisons on a DD. So if one sealant lasts 4 months, and another makes it 5, I'd call that a wash. If one lasts 3 and another lasts 6, that's pretty obvious.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #77
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
So the AMMO would need to make it say, 9 months to be a keeper?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #78
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
So the AMMO would need to make it say, 9 months to be a keeper?
I guess. But I really like to strip and reapply every six months anyway, so the most I ever expect from a sealant for my own use is six months. Therefore I really don't see how Ammo is going to impress me enough to make it worth it.

If it's still going strong at 6 months then that's great and all I'd ever need. There are just cheaper and easier sealants that do the same thing.

Remember, the ammo line is not meant to be taken off and reapplied. You are meant to just constantly add layers to it. For as ADD as i am with car products, that doesn't jive with me. But for people looking to find something that works and they can stick with as their regimen going forward, it might be exactly what they want. That's why I'm doing the test.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #79
CamaroDreams07

Ammo Hydrate Paint Moisturizer Review-

So by now you guys know that I review lots of products. Some I like, some I don't, but this is the first time I've ever just completely not understood a product. I don't get Hydrate.

Basically, according to Ammo, what you're supposed to do is avoid two bucket washes unless your paint is exceptionally dirty. What they want you to do is apply Skin for protection, then just rinse the car off when it's dusty and lightly soiled. After that, you spray some of this Hydrate on a damp microfiber towel and use it to dry the car. This is supposed to safely remove any left over soil and is supposed to bolster the Skin coat. You can also use it to dry the car in the same way after a two bucket wash. That's the way I used it.

So I did my normal wash, flooded the car to get the water off, dried my windows to get my towel damp, and then started to use Hydrate. At first I didn't read the directions and just sprayed it on the paint instead of on the towel. Don't do this. It stains the shit out of trim, my window wipers have little dots all over them that I now have to fix. After I read the instructions, I did the rest of the car "properly," spraying it on the towel and then drying the car that way. This stuff is thick- it's not like a detail spray or waterless wash. It's the consistency of Blacklight, if you're familiar with that.

I didn't notice any benefits for drying easier. It seemed like I had to pull harder to get the towel across the paint, and it took more swipes to get it streak free. By the time I got halfway around the car, the rest of it had dried and I had waterspots all over.

I'm not going to say it's a bad product, because I just don't understand how to use it. I'll probably fire Larry an email and see if he can help me out. Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Unfortunately, I've been pretty underwhelmed by this product line. I don't get the Hydrate, the Skin is good but tough to use, the Spit is a decent spray wax/QD but nothing special, and the Foam is fantastic. I really wanted to like this stuff, but given the price, it had to be exceptional to justify the cost. I probably wouldn't re-order 3/4 of the products I've tried, and honestly I may not even order the Foam again because I prefer to order in gallons. Those little bottles last me no time at all.

The only other product they sell that I may consider trying in the future is their Creme Reflective Paste Wax. $70 a tub though, so we'll see.

Anyway, I don't think anybody really checks this thread anymore based on the amount of responses I've gotten on the last couple reviews, but that concludes my test on the Ammo line. I'll try to remember to come back and post up durability results on Skin in a few months. This was a really expensive and really disappointing experiment.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #80
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Quote:

Anyway, I don't think anybody really checks this thread anymore based on the amount of responses I've gotten on the last couple reviews, but that concludes my test on the Ammo line. I'll try to remember to come back and post up durability results on Skin in a few months. This was a really expensive and really disappointing experiment.
I always wait with baited breathe for your next review!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #81
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:

So by now you guys know that I review lots of products. Some I like, some I don't, but this is the first time I've ever just completely not understood a product. I don't get Hydrate.

Basically, according to Ammo, what you're supposed to do is avoid two bucket washes unless your paint is exceptionally dirty. What they want you to do is apply Skin for protection, then just rinse the car off when it's dusty and lightly soiled. After that, you spray some of this Hydrate on a damp microfiber towel and use it to dry the car. This is supposed to safely remove any left over soil and is supposed to bolster the Skin coat. You can also use it to dry the car in the same way after a two bucket wash. That's the way I used it.

So I did my normal wash, flooded the car to get the water off, dried my windows to get my towel damp, and then started to use Hydrate. At first I didn't read the directions and just sprayed it on the paint instead of on the towel. Don't do this. It stains the shit out of trim, my window wipers have little dots all over them that I now have to fix. After I read the instructions, I did the rest of the car "properly," spraying it on the towel and then drying the car that way. This stuff is thick- it's not like a detail spray or waterless wash. It's the consistency of Blacklight, if you're familiar with that.

I didn't notice any benefits for drying easier. It seemed like I had to pull harder to get the towel across the paint, and it took more swipes to get it streak free. By the time I got halfway around the car, the rest of it had dried and I had waterspots all over.

I'm not going to say it's a bad product, because I just don't understand how to use it. I'll probably fire Larry an email and see if he can help me out. Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Unfortunately, I've been pretty underwhelmed by this product line. I don't get the Hydrate, the Skin is good but tough to use, the Spit is a decent spray wax/QD but nothing special, and the Foam is fantastic. I really wanted to like this stuff, but given the price, it had to be exceptional to justify the cost. I probably wouldn't re-order 3/4 of the products I've tried, and honestly I may not even order the Foam again because I prefer to order in gallons. Those little bottles last me no time at all.

The only other product they sell that I may consider trying in the future is their Creme Reflective Paste Wax. $70 a tub though, so we'll see.

We still check this thread, just don't respond as much, at least that's what I do.

Sorry to hear about your results man, definitely a bummer. But I know my wallet doesn't need any more high end priced lines that somehow I convince myself I need but don't use all that often lol.

Thanks for taking the plunge for all of us and if we ever meet up, I'll owe you a beer

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #82
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
I always wait with baited breathe for your next review!
Lol thanks, I appreciate that. Life just got crazy during this Ammo line review and I think people forgot or lost interest from when it started to when I actually got it done. Which is fine, I was gonna test the products anyway. It just takes time to write it all up and if nobody is gaining anything from it, it's pointless.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #83
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
We still check this thread, just don't respond as much, at least that's what I do.

Sorry to hear about your results man, definitely a bummer. But I know my wallet doesn't need any more high end priced lines that somehow I convince myself I need but don't use all that often lol.

Thanks for taking the plunge for all of us and if we ever meet up, I'll owe you a beer
Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #84
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
me too! I feel like your reviews are the most unbiased and like how you have different categories and rate it like that.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote