Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
Camarobrasil

Drives: Chev Vectra
Not so confident about buying Camaro in Brazil anymore....(damm)

Ok, Today I ready in the internet, on the Carsale magazine website that GM Brazil is bring in October the Camaro SS......and its not so good...

Why? We were hoping for the LT (V6) version cause it would be more acessible and easy to buy. We have to pay more than 110% of taxes, including importation, goverment etc.... So, the v6 would come for $60k dollars, its like R$110k Real( nacional coin)......its the same price of a Mercedez C180k....

The V8 will come (probably) arround $80k dollars.

I'm not confident that my daddy will help me to buy this one for $150k real, without insurance and the Gas ( I pay more than R$ 3,20 for one liter of Gas POdium 95octane, its almost 2dollars/liter)

So, here is my regrets and my doubt about own my dream carr, and yeah, I will be Forever and Always a Muscle Car enthusiant.......damn, i'm so sad...

With the same amount of money of the SS , my daddy could get a Mercedez C200 (wich I think it would be his frist choice)... I think that I have to look for the Chevy Malibu, its R$90k.....and give up my dream car.....

cheers (sorry for my bad english)

EDIT:

Btw, i'm not a kid, i'm 21 old (young, yeah XD) but I already have my own business, I'm a Travel agent, and director of my own company, but I dont think I can afford a V8 for that price, Im still spend money trying make the company bigger...

So, no V6 to us, only V8, but its gonna be to expansive.....but the hope is the last thing to die, I will wait and see if I can save more cash!

Last edited by Camarobrasil; 07-20-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Camarobrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Why not get the cash, and then roll up to the U.S. and buy it then ship it down or drive it down? Probably be a pain in the rear but then that's kind of what happens when people want something outside of their country.

I had to pay twice the cover price for a stupid subscription for a magazine which shouldn't be that difficult. I can't imagine thousands of pounds of metal.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Camarobrasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Why not get the cash, and then roll up to the U.S. and buy it then ship it down or drive it down? Probably be a pain in the rear but then that's kind of what happens when people want something outside of their country.

I had to pay twice the cover price for a stupid subscription for a magazine which shouldn't be that difficult. I can't imagine thousands of pounds of metal.
That idea pass through my mind once, but the thing is: If I buy like a Particular import (which I can do) I will not have the Warranty from GM and it would be a pain in ### if the car get bronken sometime. And I have to pain ALL the car, no funding, which I think its not possible yet.

I will not give up so easily, but the thing is getting a lot HARDER
Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Camarobrasil

Btw,

Check the official website if you want......there is a nice V8 sound on there (at least, I think so XD)

http://www.chevrolet.com.br/veiculos...ro/index.shtml

its in portugues, but its already official
Old 07-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
He may still be liable for taxes when he registers the car.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Camarobrasil

Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
He may still be liable for taxes when he registers the car.
Yep, I will have to pay all taxes and all the registration stuffs with the Traffic department.... in CASH, that is the biggest problem....and without the warranty

Why GM cant import the LT and SS modelsssssssssss? I mean, WHY NOT? There are people who can buy the V6 but cant buy the v8 like me, humph!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Yea even if he drives it down or ships it down, he will pay taxes once he registers in the country. Hell they are gonna ask him for a declaration at the border.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Time to move to the US/Canada! I'm not joking. Every country has it's pros and cons and one of the huge benefits of living in the US/Canada are cars cars cars!

In Singapore, cars are even more expensive (3 times the price of N.America). A dang Camry costs $100k there. A Nissan GT-R costs $250k!!!! My wife has a friend there whose husband went out and bought one because the friend forgot his birthday.
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarobrasil View Post
Ok, Today I ready in the internet, on the Carsale magazine website that GM Brazil is bring in October the Camaro SS......and its not so good...

Why? We were hoping for the LT (V6) version cause it would be more acessible and easy to buy. We have to pay more than 110% of taxes, including importation, goverment etc.... So, the v6 would come for $60k dollars, its like R$110k Real( nacional coin)......its the same price of a Mercedez C180k....

The V8 will come (probably) arround $80k dollars.

I'm not confident that my daddy will help me to buy this one for $150k real, without insurance and the Gas ( I pay more than R$ 3,20 for one liter of Gas POdium 95octane, its almost 2dollars/liter)

So, here is my regrets and my doubt about own my dream carr, and yeah, I will be Forever and Always a Muscle Car enthusiant.......damn, i'm so sad...

With the same amount of money of the SS , my daddy could get a Mercedez C200 (wich I think it would be his frist choice)... I think that I have to look for the Chevy Malibu, its R$90k.....and give up my dream car.....

cheers (sorry for my bad english)

EDIT:

Btw, i'm not a kid, i'm 21 old (young, yeah XD) but I already have my own business, I'm a Travel agent, and director of my own company, but I dont think I can afford a V8 for that price, Im still spend money trying make the company bigger...

So, no V6 to us, only V8, but its gonna be to expansive.....but the hope is the last thing to die, I will wait and see if I can save more cash!
I understand the reasoning for only releasing the V8. If the bottom line V6 is going to cost $60k... the person willing to fork over that kind of money will not be satisfied with a V6. They just won't sell, period. (I'm sorry but you are the exception, not the rule.)

The V8, on the other hand, is more relatable to the true muscle car fan, and although at $80k you are paying way too much... it should sell a few. I'm not so sure those customers will be pleased either, that's way too much money and there has got to be better options at that price point. (so maybe you will get a shot at a used one, soon?)

I'm sure there was research done that proves this, but common sense also backs it up. I'm sorry you can't buy a new V6 Camaro, but if you were paying $60k for it... you would have been getting ripped off!

And like rez333 said... maybe if the Muscle Cars won't come to you, it's time You went to the Muscle Cars!

P.S. Always double, triple, quadruple-check anything you "read in the internet"!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
I understand the reasoning for only releasing the V8. If the bottom line V6 is going to cost $60k... the person willing to fork over that kind of money will not be satisfied with a V6. They just won't sell, period. (I'm sorry but you are the exception, not the rule.)

The V8, on the other hand, is more relatable to the true muscle car fan, and although at $80k you are paying way too much... it should sell a few. I'm not so sure those customers will be pleased either, that's way too much money and there has got to be better options at that price point. (so maybe you will get a shot at a used one, soon?)

I'm sure there was research done that proves this, but common sense also backs it up. I'm sorry you can't buy a new V6 Camaro, but if you were paying $60k for it... you would have been getting ripped off!

And like rez333 said... maybe if the Muscle Cars won't come to you, it's time You went to the Muscle Cars!

P.S. Always double, triple, quadruple-check anything you "read in the internet"!
Um... Maybe you should pay attention to the market and where the person you are talking to is. Just because something costs one price in on eplace does not mean those prices translate to another place esspecially another country.

I believe that in Brazil the issue is import taxes. You can buy a car built in Brazil much much cheaper but they only build a few econoboxes there. Those will still cost you about USD 14,000. If you want a car in Brazil that is anything but a very basic economy car, you have to buy an import. If a Corrola costs USD 30,000 and an Accord costs USD 40,000-50,000 why would nobody buy a LT for 60,000??? I'm sorry but you make it sound as if 60 and 80 is the same. It's not!!! That's like saying that hey a Camaro 2SS and a Corvette Z-06 cost the same!

To the OP, if you have your own business and are 21 WTF is your "daddy" buying you a car for? Why not buy it yourself, time to get you own S@%t together! Don't worry in Brazil you must have a wealthy family if you are talking like this so all the doors will be opened for you all you have to do is walk through them and do a little work. Also unless GM said only SS, I am sure they will take the LT to Brazil. It may not be in the pics and may not come the first couple of months but I'm sure it'll get there.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
80K, wow, I would move out of there right now.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Um... Maybe you should pay attention to the market and where the person you are talking to is. Just because something costs one price in on eplace does not mean those prices translate to another place esspecially another country.

I believe that in Brazil the issue is import taxes. You can buy a car built in Brazil much much cheaper but they only build a few econoboxes there. Those will still cost you about USD 14,000. If you want a car in Brazil that is anything but a very basic economy car, you have to buy an import. If a Corrola costs USD 30,000 and an Accord costs USD 40,000-50,000 why would nobody buy a LT for 60,000??? I'm sorry but you make it sound as if 60 and 80 is the same. It's not!!! That's like saying that hey a Camaro 2SS and a Corvette Z-06 cost the same!

I was, and in any market $60k for a V6 Camaro is too much (as is $80k for a V8)... and as you go on to say it is due to the import taxes. What you don't seem to understand is that there are "price points" which consumers fit into, and when a car like the Camaro is forced into a higher price point (due to import taxes) than it is worth, the sales diminish...it is a sad fact.

And as for comparing a Carrola @ $30k (USD, in Brazil) vs a V6 Camaro @ $60k (USD, in Brazil), those are definately 2 different price points. Now a 2SS vs. Corvette... well those actually are closer. You can pump a 2SS up to over $40k (USD, per website) if you get all the bells and whistles, as you can get a stripped down 'Vette for under $50k (USD, per website). Those are much closer than your $30k vs. $60k price points.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
I was, and in any market $60k for a V6 Camaro is too much (as is $80k for a V8)... and as you go on to say it is due to the import taxes. What you don't seem to understand is that there are "price points" which consumers fit into, and when a car like the Camaro is forced into a higher price point (due to import taxes) than it is worth, the sales diminish...it is a sad fact.

And as for comparing a Carrola @ $30k (USD, in Brazil) vs a V6 Camaro at $60k (USD, in Brazil), those are definately 2 different price points. Now a 2SS vs. Corvette... well those actually are closer. You can pump a 2SS up to over $40k (USD, per website) if you get all the bells and whistles, as you can get a stripped down 'Vette for under $50k (USD, per website). Those are much closer than your $30k vs. $60k price points.
Basically anyone buying any car in Brazil other then what we would refer to as an economy car is wealthy, hense daddy buying it for him. Remember this is a country where GDP per Capita is about USD 8,000 vs. the US at about USD 43,000 (in going by memory so sorry if I'm a few dollars off). So yes there are plain less cars sold in Brazil and most are the very basic economy cars.

If you go there, these cars are as plain as possible. A/C optional if even available, no power windows, some do not have power steering, not sound proofing, nothing just the body and 4-5 seats. Also these cars come with engines that can not barely maintain 60 KPH going up hill all in a care the size of a Honda Fit. This costs 14k, radio and A/C extra.

Anyone not buying this car is paying about double the US price so those are the price points that the wealthy in Brazil are accustomed to. Just like 6 years ago nobody though they could ever afford to pay $3 for a gallon of 93 octane, now it seems normal. The wealthy in Brazil look at these prices as normal.

If you read what I said I specifically refer to the 2SS vs Z-06 and said they are different price points, not the base Vette. I actually do think the base Vette and the 2SS are different price points but that is not my point. By the way what are you comparing here a 2SS with everything you can get (ground effects, strips, rims, sub, everything) vs. a no option Vette?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
5thGenOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Basically anyone buying any car in Brazil other then what we would refer to as an economy car is wealthy, hense daddy buying it for him. Remember this is a country where GDP per Capita is about USD 8,000 vs. the US at about USD 43,000 (in going by memory so sorry if I'm a few dollars off). So yes there are plain less cars sold in Brazil and most are the very basic economy cars.

If you go there, these cars are as plain as possible. A/C optional if even available, no power windows, some do not have power steering, not sound proofing, nothing just the body and 4-5 seats. Also these cars come with engines that can not barely maintain 60 KPH going up hill all in a care the size of a Honda Fit. This costs 14k, radio and A/C extra.

Anyone not buying this car is paying about double the US price so those are the price points that the wealthy in Brazil are accustomed to. Just like 6 years ago nobody though they could ever afford to pay $3 for a gallon of 93 octane, now it seems normal. The wealthy in Brazil look at these prices as normal.

If you read what I said I specifically refer to the 2SS vs Z-06 and said they are different price points, not the base Vette. I actually do think the base Vette and the 2SS are different price points but that is not my point. By the way what are you comparing here a 2SS with everything you can get (ground effects, strips, rims, sub, everything) vs. a no option Vette?
Forget the whole 'Vette vs. 2SS... that was your comparison, I was just using it to point out that the price points between them are not as far apart as you made them out to be (with all the explanation points).

You again are continuing to prove my point... if the average income is 8k in Brazil, the 'average person' will never own a $60k Camaro (assuming they released a LT). But the 'wealthy' Brazilian will also never own a $60k Camaro, because he is wealthy... and will spend the extra $20k for the available model, the V8.

There are a ton of assumptions here... average income, price for V6, price for V8, but I am just using the figures at my disposal and applying common sense.