Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #239
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
A7x6, I just realized you posted that hours ago. How did it go?
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #240
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
A7x6, I just realized you posted that hours ago. How did it go?
He's prob enjoying it too much!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #241
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:

Sorry about the wind. Don't know how to avoid that yet.
Which housing are you using? I found the waterproof housing and getting the camera tuck out of the way, looking backwards, to work the best... getting the camera up close against the car as possible..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #242
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Which housing are you using? I found the waterproof housing and getting the camera tuck out of the way, looking backwards, to work the best... getting the camera up close against the car as possible..
That was my first time using it. I was using the the back door with the openings in it. The manual said it was the best to use to get maximum sound. I thought about getting an external mic, but I wouldn't be able to plug it into the camera with the housing on and if I take the housing off, I can't mount it. I'll figure something out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #243
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
That was my first time using it. I was using the the back door with the openings in it. The manual said it was the best to use to get maximum sound. I thought about getting an external mic, but I wouldn't be able to plug it into the camera with the housing on and if I take the housing off, I can't mount it. I'll figure something out.
Here's my latest using the water proof housing and tucked behind the Flex... Since the Flex is now running an MRT Ver 2.0, it's kind of on-topic, right? LOL!

So while we're waiting for A7x6 and Michelle12345's results... LOL

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #244
Saint Alban

Could you post a YouTube link? Tapatalk doesnt let me play imbedded videos. They really need to update that.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #245
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
That brick sounds angry and fast.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #246
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Could you post a YouTube link? Tapatalk doesnt let me play imbedded videos. They really need to update that.
Here you go!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Djl6axeMg
Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #247
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Thanks. I see what you mean. I may try it again that way to get the external exhaust sound. The reason I put it where I did was because, one, I liked how my car looked while moving, and two, because I was keeping an eye on the camera in my drivers side rear view. I was worried it may fall off. That suction cup it very solid though.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #248
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Thanks. I see what you mean. I may try it again that way to get the external exhaust sound. The reason I put it where I did was because, one, I liked how my car looked while moving, and two, because I was keeping an eye on the camera in my drivers side rear view. I was worried it may fall off. That suction cup it very solid though.
Yep... I completely understand 1 and 2! I did the same thing when I got mine! LOL
Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #249
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Hey guys

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents on the J pipes. Even though mine is a LS3 I found the 29-29.5" pipe length works perfectly for the 1550-2000 rpm drone. I have a little bit in the 1250-1500 range but is mellow, sounds like drone but maybe just low speed monotone exhaust sound, but is no big deal.These work, as I have flowmaster Outlaw mufflers which are a tuned muffler delete so if it works for these it will help anything!

I installed a resonated x pipe first as I did on my v6 with shortys and mrtv2/s but it helped only a bit with these loud mufflers. I have durakool insulation in the trunk, 2 layers, one glued the other in the shape of the carpet and is removeable, and helped only a bit around town but none at freeway speeds so dont waste time with insulation with loud setup other then for speakers. The J pipes killed it all so dont waste time and money experimenting like I did!

to all thinking about them just have a muffler shop due it.I used 2.25" pipe as I have the 2.5" piping on the car.Gave them pics of Solos and others and let him do the rest. He even made them adjustable with band clamps and a 2.5" dia x6" long end cap. All told $150 for everything.
Attached Images

VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #250
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Hey guys

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents on the J pipes. Even though mine is a LS3 I found the 29-29.5" pipe length works perfectly for the 1550-2000 rpm drone. I have a little bit in the 1250-1500 range but is mellow, sounds like drone but maybe just low speed monotone exhaust sound, but is no big deal.These work, as I have flowmaster Outlaw mufflers which are a tuned muffler delete so if it works for these it will help anything!

I installed a resonated x pipe first as I did on my v6 with shortys and mrtv2/s but it helped only a bit with these loud mufflers. I have durakool insulation in the trunk, 2 layers, one glued the other in the shape of the carpet and is removeable, and helped only a bit around town but none at freeway speeds so dont waste time with insulation with loud setup other then for speakers. The J pipes killed it all so dont waste time and money experimenting like I did!

to all thinking about them just have a muffler shop due it.I used 2.25" pipe as I have the 2.5" piping on the car.Gave them pics of Solos and others and let him do the rest. He even made them adjustable with band clamps and a 2.5" dia x6" long end cap. All told $150 for everything.
Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #251
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
Very interesting VR Baron. So I'm assuming the actual shape of the Helmholtz or J pipes doesn't really matter as long as they are a total of 29 inches?

Your pipes shape is very different from everyone else that posted here.

Suspension: Pedders full cradle bushings & radius rod inserts, BMR swaybars & endlinks, LSR trailing arms, Pfadt endlink brace
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #252
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
Very interesting VR Baron. So I'm assuming the actual shape of the Helmholtz or J pipes doesn't really matter as long as they are a total of 29 inches?

Your pipes shape is very different from everyone else that posted here.
From what I hear from the people here that have done the leg work it doesnt appear the shape makes much difference. I saw one pic and they were straight and mounted up near the H pipe area. Mine were patterned somewhat after Solos's setup for the v6 and v8. Even those are little different. Main thing I read here is that both sides are the same shape, length and welded in the exact same spot is what counts.If not can be uneven pulses side to side. 29 inches for me killed the 1550-1800 rpm drone, my resonated x pipe killed the drone from 1900-2400, though I did install that first but glad I did. If you have drone below 1550 you can make the pipes longer if it bothers you, longer they are seems to get rid of drone at lower rpms, shorter the pipe, higher the rpm range. People here say no matter what it helps 3-400 rpm above and below the main point, say 1800 for example so it isnt an exact science.I made mine 29.5 to try it(mine are adjustable) and it knocked out a bit more at 1500, but some still there at 1250-1500 but no big deal. For me the 1500-2000 range is what botheres and you always have to shift through that area no mater what, a bit of drone below that doesnt bother me as you are throgh it fast and not down there much, and you can down shift out of the bad area more easily if needed.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote