Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post

And my butt-dyno thinks the gains are substantial

We've seen plenty of dyno numbers on these intakes already. They make a solid 15 rwhp on the top end and all through the mid range power band. If you lose any power it's well below your power band and shouldn't have any effect on a race. Also, 15 rwhp on a car making over 550 hp isn't something that should make a night and day difference. It's about a 2% power gain to kind of put it into perspective. If you really want to feel a big jump in power you'll need to look into long tube headers or some pulley work!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
^...and to that end, I understand your point, but I would like to ad that long term experience and the ability to articulate/express into words, and have visceral feel are different things. Perspective is reality is the saying. They vary wildy. Therefore proven methods of documenting and repeating results is key, such as in a scientiific method. Dyno pulls are a good source, and granted they vary somewhat due to the technology, but they are real world. Also someone who is very good at doing something may not be able to translate that ability, give feedback, or discriminate enough between what is noticeable and what is not. Semantics to a degree, ones perception versus reality another. However, some are locked in, plugged in, or in tune to a point with something to the degree that they are able to distinguish between fine differences of performance and can differentiate between them. Dynos are good, and an additional 100 HP is even better, but a driver with enough seat time and experience can relate to the changes in performance up or down the scale readily.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 05-23-2013 at 09:25 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
Mil

Drives: 2013 Victory Red w/ automatic #671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough View Post
Give it some time (couple of weeks) for the car to self adjust your fuel trims. This flat is normal for adding something which adds more air and creates a slightly different flow path over the MAF sensor. I felt the same right off idle low end flat spot and it corrected itself over time.
It's getting stronger.. today I smoked up the back tire. Did a huge burn out started on 2nd gr from dead stop. thanks everyone for chiming in. I guess it probably did take a few runs for the engine to re-map the change in air volume. best no tune mod ever! Thanks Roto-Fab Here are my install photos:
Attached Images

Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #32
#737 ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
looks excellent, cant wait to do mine. Nice job
#737 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by #737 ZL1 View Post
looks excellent, cant wait to do mine. Nice job
Thanks...

I used the video instructions.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #34
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
nannies off/ traction control off. Anyway .. guess i should have done my homework before deciding on this mod.. Now i have a head turning super charged air sucking machine that screams under the hood when i exhilarate, but it is now not as fun taking off from dead stop w/ less torque.

I have read that with a CAI mod for most cars it seems to be normal that low in power/torque is compromised .. but the gains are pushed towards the upper rpm range which is basically only a benefit for track driving.
I had EXACTLY the same experience.
Then I added headers, cat delete, and crank pulley, then the butt dyno picked up the 60 hp and tq gain!

Rag Top Rob

Last edited by yellow69z28rs; 05-24-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spellong
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs View Post
I had EXACTLY the same experience.
Then I added headers, cat delete, and crank pulley, then the butt dyno picked up the 60 hp and tq gain!
Noticed after I've added some miles after the mod .. its pulling now. I think what happened was the ecu took some time to re map it self trimming the fuel and extra air that it is getting. It took me by surprise today.. i had it on 2nd gear from start sitting at a light. when i took off the back tires broke loose. I put down some serious smoke. If i hadn't let up on the gas i think it would have continued leaving a trail of white smoke all the way across the intersection.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #36
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 ZL1#1658 View Post
I'm sorry but with a CAI, I wouldn't imagine that you would experience the additional HP in a significant fashion. I mean you will have a nicer looking and sounding car but as far as the additional 35 or so HP, I wouldn't expect to feel any significant difference.
only adding 30-35hp isn't enough to feel any differences... The only way to see the gains or by having the car on a dyno... Get a baseline rwhp, then with CAI.. Saying the car is slower is a mental thing.... Your expecting to feel a difference when your not. Therefore you think it's slower...

Put the stock air box back in and get it dyno ed, then put the roto-fab in and dyno the car again.... There's your answer.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
kalamajama

Drives: 2012 ZL1 2002 Silverado, 2010 Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
Hello,

Anyone have solution or answers to the above subject matter.

I made this my first performance mod, but I don't feel any increase in HP.

If anything car feels slower on initial launch, w/ less torque??
Did you also install the big gulp? Just got mine done. All three roto fab mods. Havn't left my garage yet though......Rain
Attached Images

kalamajama is offline   Reply With Quote