Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Gbusy06
Tap Out

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS A6 SGM
I added Vararam to my otherwise stock 2011, no tune, with 2800 miles and it ran 12.70 @ 109. Stock, it ran 13.04. The weather was better with Vararam. Not sure what I gained with the intake.
Gbusy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #16
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbusy06 View Post
I added Vararam to my otherwise stock 2011, no tune, with 2800 miles and it ran 12.70 @ 109. Stock, it ran 13.04. The weather was better with Vararam. Not sure what I gained with the intake.
What months and if you have dates and times? Dragstrip name would help too. I can tell you how much diff the intake made with that info if track conditions were similar.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Not hardly. 5-7 at most. If you don't like that answer ask Jannetty. They have a no BS response policy.

They have also tested the Vararam independently. It is in line with the better CAI's on the market however it is not head and shoulders above the rest by any means.

Can't go wrong with the Haltech or ADM. Performance per $$$ nothing beats the Haltech intake. Add the ADM race scoop to it and you have the best performing intake on the market for the 5th gen.
Which one did they test? They tested the old one...and that old one was a pain in the ass with bucking. The new one? Perfect. But, I'm sure it's going to be different than the last intake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbusy06 View Post
Which one did you get? Did you get the new VR?

I've really been holding my breath with the new Vararam. The last one bucked and surged like a ...well, I won't got there. But, it got to be such a pain in the ass that I took it off and put my stock box back on.

I got the new unit with new MAF sensor about 3 weeks ago. I've put just over 600 miles on the new unit and have to say I'm completely impressed. That seizure like bucking is GONE. I couldn't freaking believe it.

No, there's no tune. How does it run? FAST. No, I don't have baseline numbers of before and after. Sorry. But I'll tell you that it WORKS.

...and the radiator seems to be more "fixed" in place with this one. Yup, I give it
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 AM   #18
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Which one did they test? They tested the old one...and that old one was a pain in the ass with bucking.

I've really been holding my breath with the new Vararam. The last one bucked and surged like a ...well, I won't got there. But, it got to be such a pain in the ass that I took it off and put my stock box back on.
Ask them? I believe it was a "tune" only version. Could be wrong. Either way I personally believe it is no better than the better "traditional" CAI's on the market and they don't require dicking with the radiator.

Unless you have some dyno or track results on the same day, same conditions before and after it is just speculation...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #19
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I got the new unit with new MAF sensor about 3 weeks ago. I've put just over 600 miles on the new unit and have to say I'm completely impressed. That seizure like bucking is GONE. I couldn't freaking believe it.

No, there's no tune. How does it run? FAST. No, I don't have baseline numbers of before and after. Sorry. But I'll tell you that it WORKS.

...and the radiator seems to be more "fixed" in place with this one. Yup, I give it
Glad to hear Tag. I just ordered my no tune Vararam. My maf was one of the good ones so I didn't have to change that out. I have heard nothing but positive feedback with their new design. I love the OTR concept.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Tag, did you have to buy a new MAF sensor or did it come from VR?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #21
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Tag, did you have to buy a new MAF sensor or did it come from VR?
Not sure where he got his, but Vararam is selling them at cost.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I don't understand why we should have to buy a new MAF to get teh intake to work. Is VR offering a MAF exchange?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
It seems like a wonderful idea, but I just don't see it getting the gains they say...at least not right now..

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #24
sales@vararam.com

Drives: 2010 camaro
The only reason to replace the MAF, is if it has the single letter code as is explained on the Air Meter link on our website. These meters read "weak", and they will pull fuel trim rather than add fuel for the aditional airflow. Only about 5-8% of the cars out there have them.

It does not matter if the car is stock or modified, the meter will re-act the same.
The more air you flow, the worse it will become.
Later ,if you add a cam or complete heads/ cam package , it will be very difficult / impossible to tune for drivability if the meter is not replaced.
Some of our tuners have found the same issue with some of the later model Corvettes.
Basically if you are going to modify the vehicle and you have a "weak" meter you will have issues whatever the modification- ours or theirs.
Again - check the info on our website regarding the air meter and feel free to call our tech at 713-899-6456 with any questions !
sales@vararam.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #25
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
Yeah, 20hp gain sucks for an intake and tune. My car gained 15 over base with just an LMR intake. This thread makes me glad I didnt buy into all the hype.
I had the LMR and hated it...even when the car was surging at low RPMs with the 'pre-spike' Vararam, the WOT performance gains from the LMR to the Vararam were worth it.

Quote:
What months and if you have dates and times? Dragstrip name would help too. I can tell you how much diff the intake made with that info if track conditions were similar.
Quote:
Ask them? I believe it was a "tune" only version. Could be wrong. Either way I personally believe it is no better than the better "traditional" CAI's on the market and they don't require dicking with the radiator.
Unless you have some dyno or track results on the same day, same conditions before and after it is just speculation...
Your posts make me laugh. Your confident in your own guesses, but not someone's actual experience.

*Que Bud-Light theme music* " Here's to you Mr 'internet expert' man..."
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #26
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I had the LMR and hated it...even when the car was surging at low RPMs with the 'pre-spike' Vararam, the WOT performance gains from the LMR to the Vararam were worth it.

Your posts make me laugh. Your confident in your own guesses, but not someone's actual experience.

*Que Bud-Light theme music* " Here's to you Mr 'internet expert' man..."

If you knew anything you would understand how the questions I asked relate directly to the gains. I would not expect someone of your caliber to "get it". Anything else you want to discuss? I can play stump the chump all night.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #27
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
If you knew anything you would understand how the questions I asked relate directly to the gains. I would not expect someone of your caliber to "get it". Anything else you want to discuss? I can play stump the chump all night.
You asked for time slips of a drags trip you likely don't know taken from two different days...throw in the variables of the driver...and yet you can accurately inform us of the changes a CAI made.

Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #28
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
You asked for time slips of a drags trip you likely don't know taken from two different days...throw in the variables of the driver...and yet you can accurately inform us of the changes a CAI made.

You can ballpark it using the data from the runs and D/A for the track that day/time. Again I would not expect your depth of knowledge to go that far. I trust Gbusy06 would post his results with integrity.

If you don't like that answer then PM Jannetty. They have tested most CAI's out there including the Vararam. I am positive Ted would be happy to set the record straight.

BTW - Vararam declined to participate in their last CAI testing. What does that tell you?

FYI - just read the build post on your car.....where are your track times at? Just a dyno queen? Noticed you did not do any of the motor-work yourself....I see who the pretender is here.....

Last edited by wbt; 11-08-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Tags
mustang dyno, track day, vararam