Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #43
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Does anyone have, or know where to find, a guide for taking the caliper apart? I want to powder coat them red and doubt it's a good idea to bake them assembled during the cure process.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #44
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
Does anyone have, or know where to find, a guide for taking the caliper apart? I want to powder coat them red and doubt it's a good idea to bake them assembled during the cure process.
It is very easy to do as I have done it before on my old race car.....I have done both paint and powder on Brembos that have been raced on and the paint holds up just fine. I just dont want to pull apart a brand new caliper. Mine will be painted, not powdered.

-Matt
Old 03-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #45
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
The reason I posted is when I was a mechanic I've seen people bring cars in that they had their shade tree guy put calipers on and couldn't get them to bleed out. What happened was they put the calipers on the wrong side and the bleeders were on the bottom instead of the top. If they won't physicly bolt up then its not able to be done but if they will mount up either way then that's what I was getting at.
Just thinking out loud.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #46
EarlyApex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
It is very easy to do as I have done it before on my old race car.....I have done both paint and powder on Brembos that have been raced on and the paint holds up just fine. I just dont want to pull apart a brand new caliper. Mine will be painted, not powdered.

-Matt
Did you use VHT high temp paint or some other brand?

I got my calipers delivered today. I am buying my parts in smaller batches so my better half doesn't get alarmed. My first track day of the year won't be for at least another month so I have plenty of time to collect and install. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #47
Jimmy Superfly

Drives: 2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Time to pay it forward! I finally ordered my set-up today so it was time to share.

From my research into 6 piston set-ups for my car I found by far the lowest prices on Amazon if you are willing to use Silver or Yellow (or powder coat). The qty in stock fluctuates and sometimes the items go on back order, but if you keep checking back they are usually restocked often.

You can get a 6-piston front big brake set-up for about $1050.00 to $1300.00 depending on rotors and lines you pick.

Here you go: Part numbers and prices as of 3/18/2014

Thank you so much for this info! I ordered mine yesterday which was a full year ahead of what I had budgeted for. Next time you are in Toronto the Beer is on me.

Thanks also to Tyler at JDP Motorsports who has been answering all of my questions about this upgrade and others for quite some time now despite the fact that I wasn't even planning on purchasing this year. Because of this great service I will be ordering the remaining items from JDP in addition to some other goodies I have already bought including their brake cooling kit.

Great stuff all around guys!

2012 IBM 1SS L99/A6 - JDP JLS Performance - Brembo Ridetech DSE
BMR Prothane Spohn Hawk BTR LG CAI Michelin
Jimmy Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #48
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
Did you use VHT high temp paint or some other brand?
Sorry. To clarify I didn't paint or powder them myself. I took them apart and had them painted/powdered. Then I rebuilt them with new seals etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Superfly View Post
Thank you so much for this info! I ordered mine yesterday which was a full year ahead of what I had budgeted for. Next time you are in Toronto the Beer is on me.
Sounds good!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #49
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
As far as wheel fitment goes, will these fit the same wheels as SS calipers? I know the rotor circumference is bigger but still fits in a 20" wheel, I just don't want to buy these only to find my wheel spokes won't clear the caliper.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #50
Powhusku

Also anyone know where to get a decent set of stainless brake lines that will fit these? If found a few made for the CTS-V but I dont think the rears are compatible with the rear SS brakes even though they use almost identical calipers, though I may be wrong.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #51
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Also anyone know where to get a decent set of stainless brake lines that will fit these? If found a few made for the CTS-V but I dont think the rears are compatible with the rear SS brakes even though they use almost identical calipers, though I may be wrong.
you can get any ZL1 brake line set, it works
Goodridge Stainless Lines (Front and Rear Kit) - 12227
Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #52
Powhusku

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
you can get any ZL1 brake line set, it works
Goodridge Stainless Lines (Front and Rear Kit) - 12227
Dang, cant believe I didn't think of that.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #53
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Superfly View Post

Thanks also to Tyler at JDP Motorsports who has been answering all of my questions about this upgrade and others for quite some time now despite the fact that I wasn't even planning on purchasing this year. Because of this great service I will be ordering the remaining items from JDP in addition to some other goodies I have already bought including their brake cooling kit.

Great stuff all around guys!
We appreciate your business and support. I feel there is value in having hands on experience with the products we offer. Please feel free to call, email or PM us anytime with questions and have a great day.

Quote:
As far as wheel fitment goes, will these fit the same wheels as SS calipers? I know the rotor circumference is bigger but still fits in a 20" wheel, I just don't want to buy these only to find my wheel spokes won't clear the caliper.
We have a wheel fitment chart to confirm fitment.

Quote:
We had a custom set up made by Goodridge long before the ZL1 lines were available. We've pretty much gone to the ZL1 lines in our packages or for customers looking to upgrade to this set up.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley

Last edited by JDP Motorsports; 03-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #54
millhouse

Drives: 13 zl1
Those are the Ac Delco durastop pads. Imo they are pure junk. I worked for a Delco distributor for 18 years and the number of complaints were insane. We now refer to them as Durasqueeks. Any delco pads that begins with a 17d is a durastop. Ones that begin with 171- are OE pads.
millhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #55
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Ordered. Thanks Matt for all the research. So even 18s or 19s will fit over these these calipers? I might go lighter later. Thanks Jordan.

Not sure about the pads, thinking maybe the better Delcos are the way to go.

I am a little confused about the caliper bolts. P/N 11570788 are the standard SS bolts. You are just replacing these for good practice Matt?

And wouldn't the Goodridge lines be less flexible (better) than the ZL1 lines?

Fun fact: While I was ordering the calipers 2 more sold while I was putting my order together.

This will be a fun project and maybe get me away from the drag strip.

Last edited by Fraxum; 03-30-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #56
EarlyApex

Fraxum,

Were you able to get the 2 piece rotors? I tried to order today and they were 3 to 4 weeks out. I am ok with the wait, I just hope I will still get the good price.