Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Driving lean

I just put on a huge cold air intake and i have to bring it 30 minutes away to the tuner. It is running really lean, like about dies when i give it gas. I have a diablosport trinity, but it already has an hp tune from my cam. Will it be safe to drive it that far, and will the system correct itself from o2 sensor readings? Is there any thing i should look for with the trinity, i can Still monitor but cannot change anything?

My custom cold air intake is on this site, a week ago i posted it entitled
If it is worth building a Cai, it is worth overbuilding
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
I would verify what is going on with the engine via the trinity. I use a trinity too and amoungst my normal monitored parameters are "LTFT Bank1 and Bank 2, STFT Bank 1 and Bank 2, spark retard from knock (its the only knock related one i could find on the trinity, not sure if that is the real name). It also may be good to watch sensors related to airflow, off the top of my head there are a few that relate to intake pressure/vacuum and a measure of the amount of air flowing over the MAF.

I am sure there might be others, but figuring out what the STFT and LTFT are sitting at will verify your "running lean" assumption. If memory serves positive numbers in the LTFT and STFT show a lean state as the PCM is adding fuel. If you are running high values here and seeing knock retard i would personally be getting a second mail-in tune to get to a shop with a dyno, but I'm paranoid about detonation, others might not be as worried, depending on setup.. (i think someone told me that while not ideal, up to about 20 on the plus or minus side is considered under control by the computer, anything more than 30 is bad news and between 20 and 30 is a condition yellow warning kinda thing.)

If you custom rolled your CAI, you might just be in a situation where the MAF is having problems. Have you checked to see if you have a strong MAF or one of the weak ones? Your problem does sound very similar to the issues some experienced with "weak" MAF sensors.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
I just checked it out. Because you moved the maf is the car even able to drive with out stalling for that amount of time? In my old STi when I switched to a Blow through Maf the car would not even stay running. the only time I could get it to idol was when the maf was unplugged but as soon as it got some gas it would die.

You might be able to contact your tuner and have him send you a base map just to get it to them.

I would not recommend driving it... but i could be wrong.
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock427 View Post
I just checked it out. Because you moved the maf is the car even able to drive with out stalling for that amount of time? In my old STi when I switched to a Blow through Maf the car would not even stay running. the only time I could get it to idol was when the maf was unplugged but as soon as it got some gas it would die.

You might be able to contact your tuner and have him send you a base map just to get it to them.

I would not recommend driving it... but i could be wrong.
Hadent read the thread about the CAI when i responded. Just read it, neat idea, but I would say this is right on. If you moved the MAF's physical location you NEED to tune it before you drive. As it is now, the amount of air being reported to the computer so it can compute fuel trims is incorrect, and i dont think that is going to change without a tune. I would venture a guess that if you look at the LTFT and STFT sensors like i mentioned you will probably see that they will not settle down at all and bounce wildly.. I would at least consider data logging your car at idle and sending it to be reviewed by a tuner prior to driving it, even only 30 miles..

That being said, when you do get a tune / dyno i would LOVE to see what kind of numbers that CAI puts down for you!
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Parag

The car is idling just fine, it just wants to die when i give it gas quickly, more of a massive hesitation.

I have pulled it out and in from the garage, and it hasnt died

I have a strong maf k19

Ill log idle and see what i got
Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Were is the maf located after the cold air, did you build your own intake?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
The car is idling just fine, it just wants to die when i give it gas quickly, more of a massive hesitation.

I have pulled it out and in from the garage, and it hasnt died

I have a strong maf k19

Ill log idle and see what i got
If you put the stocker back on, you can drive it to your tuner and then swap it back over for the tune...just a suggestion
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
Parag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2010SS View Post
If you put the stocker back on, you can drive it to your tuner and then swap it back over for the tune...just a suggestion
If i would have built a normal cold air that would be a great idea, but not for me. And thanks guys, but i let ir idle for a few, then drove up the street and it running way better with the ltfts at 14. So i think ill be ok driving it for a lottle bit. Thanks for all your help, ill post up a dyno number for those of ylu that are interested
Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
quimbo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 45 anniversary camaro
Your situation sounds like you may have put in your mas air flow sensor in upside down.If the mas air flow sensor is incorrectly installed that will cause issues. Check to see if the sensor is correctly installed right side up

Last edited by quimbo; 01-24-2012 at 12:28 PM.
quimbo is offline   Reply With Quote