Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
G Money

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2016 Denali HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrop View Post
Anyone know if there's adjustment with this shifter? The lever goes into all the gears with a nice firm feel except for 2nd gear. It's almost like it needs to engage just a little bit more for it to feel right. I've missed a couple shifts now because of it. I really have to ram it into 2nd to make sure it's fully engaged.
Mine feels the same as yours however I have never missed a shift YET ! Feels like it almost doesnt go all the way into 2nd.......
G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I had a MGW in my 2010 and I thought it felt better than the Hurst, well atleast the factory Hurst shifter that I felt in a brand new Camaro. The MGW felt a lot tighter than the Hurst. I always missed 2-3 shift until I put the MGW on. I also know some people that say the Hurst loosens up over time. I will definitely go with the MGW in my ZL1.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
jeffrop

Drives: 2020 ZL-1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
Mine feels the same as yours however I have never missed a shift YET ! Feels like it almost doesnt go all the way into 2nd.......
Well after being down for a couple weeks (flat tire) I finally got to drive the Z this past weekend and the shift action into 2nd definitely seemed to have more positive engagement. Didn't really get to drive it much though but maybe the shifter is "coming in" as it gets used more?
jeffrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
G Money

Quote:
Well after being down for a couple weeks (flat tire) I finally got to drive the Z this past weekend and the shift action into 2nd definitely seemed to have more positive engagement. Didn't really get to drive it much though but maybe the shifter is "coming in" as it gets used more?
Only driven mine about 150 miles since install not my DD so maybe mine will too.....
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
AKA-22

Drives: ELLE-1
Quote:
Thanks to all I just ordered mine and it will be here next week...All the new shifters have the upgraded bushing...
the upgraded bushings will not help you ....you need to order the stainless steel racing bushings from hurst...the upgraded bushings are the same teflon ones with an added rubber gasket ....
Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #20
G Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
the upgraded bushings will not help you ....you need to order the stainless steel racing bushings from hurst...the upgraded bushings are the same teflon ones with an added rubber gasket ....
Thanks for the heads up
Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Has anyone switched out there stock shifter for the Hurst shifter in there ZL1 and if so what are your comments???
I did, and one thing you will notice, is the transmission noise is louder because the shifter is not as isolated as well as the stock shifter. I did use the rubber parts that came with the Hurst.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
Skylane765

Quote:
Holy crap I'm glad I found this thread! I tried like hell to get the stock shift knob off...even rigged up a lever and moment arm (2x4) and almost destroyed the collar just below the knob..I called Torq Speed Lab, Hurst, and they all said "it just pulls straight up"

Did GM change this in 2013? Got mine installed in about 2 hours as well. Getting ready to drive it here in a few.

Thanks for posting up how to take that damn shift knob off!
2013s have a screw in the handle.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
Skylane765

Quote:
Anyone know if there's adjustment with this shifter? The lever goes into all the gears with a nice firm feel except for 2nd gear. It's almost like it needs to engage just a little bit more for it to feel right. I've missed a couple shifts now because of it. I really have to ram it into 2nd to make sure it's fully engaged.
There is no adjustment. But I think the shifter is a bit too short of a throw. It needs to be about halfway between the Hurst and stock.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-22 View Post
Remember you will get more noise with the SS bushings.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #25
yenkostyle

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
It wasn't to bad with the car up on 11" ramps and loosening the trans. mount bolts. The shifter boot comes off by turning it and then you can get to the screw holding the shifter knob on. The stock shifter link supplied with the kit does not fit the ZL1 shifter knob. I used the upgraded bushing kit from Hurst, it is a good thing it comes with extra o-rings as one was cut during the install, if you get the upgraded bushings remember to measure the width of the stock bushings, so you can compress the new ones to the same width. The only thing that gave me the worst time was getting the rubber dust boot back in place.

Shifting is sure and precise!!! Great upgrade!!!
Just wanted to give props for this post Vicster, you saved me from making the tug and pull mistake on my 2014!
yenkostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Love mine!

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote