Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #715
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That sucks man. I hope you get it squared away. I'd be pulling my hair out too :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #716
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
I watched the video. This is what I heard.

0.15 min start
0.17 min - Idle
1.07 min - A single POP
1.24 min - Started fluxuating the RPM slightly
1.33 min - Fuel starvation starts adversely effecting Idle

The Engine is running out of fuel. This video does not give me any indication of bad gas, because if gas is bad, it is all bad and will not wait for 1.33 minutes.

The so called SMOKE is just condensation, which happens on all vehicles, and is not a large amount.

I'm sticking with fuel delivery problem. fuel filter, pressure regulator, pump. A Direct reading mechanical gauge is required for further troubleshooting to determine which is the cause.

Just a couple of small observations....

That smoke in my opinion is more than just condensation...The kind of smoke that pouring out of that pipe looks like a cold start in Chicago when it's 19 degrees. Looked pretty mild where Randy's at....I could be wrong.

Fuel could be an issue....but keep in mind it's gotta be in open loop so it's getting extra fuel till the ecm starts taking input from all the sensors. If the car is starving for fuel at idle, you have a SERIOUS fuel problem on your hands. Get the fuel pressure gauge out and check.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #717
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Just a couple of small observations....

That smoke in my opinion is more than just condensation...The kind of smoke that pouring out of that pipe looks like a cold start in Chicago when it's 19 degrees. Looked pretty mild where Randy's at....I could be wrong.

Fuel could be an issue....but keep in mind it's gotta be in open loop so it's getting extra fuel till the ecm starts taking input from all the sensors. If the car is starving for fuel at idle, you have a SERIOUS fuel problem on your hands. Get the fuel pressure gauge out and check.
It was in the low 30's high 20's that night and that was the first start the following morning.

What's weird to me is that it runs fine on start up then once it gets out of the cold start cycle (I don't know the exact term for it) it starts to surge and run rough....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #718
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
It was in the low 30's high 20's that night and that was the first start the following morning.

What's weird to me is that it runs fine on start up then once it gets out of the cold start cycle (I don't know the exact term for it) it starts to surge and run rough....

My guess is it's coming into closed loop at that point...at that time, it's taking info from all the sensors to make it's call on fuel & spark.

Randy...did the car always smoke like that on cold start? Have you pulled any plugs yet?
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #719
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Hang in there, it will be something simple. My AC would not work after my install, drove me nuts, until I found the sensor on the driver's side close to the radiator, that I mostly but not completely unplugged, when putting in the intercooler. I had to go completely through the install paper work and revisit the install step by step until I found it, and then it stood out like a sore thumb. I tend to doubt it's the tune per se (being the correct tune), but I do wonder if it is a corrupted file or something like that.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #720
GJG

Drives: 2SS
the smoke on cold start seems normal to me. mine seems to do it when it's cool. As soon as the condensation in the pipes heat up, it starts and gets worse until cleared.

......Are the intake gaskets reusable? Could he be sucking air at one or both? If so the air would be off from what the MAF was telling the ECM????

(i stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, so take what I say, with that in mind)
Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #721
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Loose Rocker. Seriously, could be that but I doubt it. I hope you find the pesky gremlin, looking forward to the burnout videos.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #722
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Did PQ pinch the fuel line?
Nope. In fact it will damn near squirt fuel right through the hood.

I know the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
you should be used to going in Circles you have been doing it for a few days now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
He can't he got in a little heated debate with Ted.

But Ted did say he would fix it for 300.00 for a tune for his car.
I wouldn't say heated. He was just in a shitty mood. Too bad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
OK I spoke to a long time friend of mine today who is one of those zen guys who understands anything dealing with cars.

FWIW. Here's what he had to say.
It ain't fuel. Simply because I've already willed it not to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
That sucks man. I hope you get it squared away. I'd be pulling my hair out too :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Randy...did the car always smoke like that on cold start? Have you pulled any plugs yet?
Nope. Never smoked like that. I haven't ;ulled a plug, I just don't think it's the problem. I'm so convinced it's in the tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
but I do wonder if it is a corrupted file or something like that.
I thought about that. But I don't see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG View Post
the smoke on cold start seems normal to me. mine seems to do it when it's cool. As soon as the condensation in the pipes heat up, it starts and gets worse until cleared.

......Are the intake gaskets reusable? Could he be sucking air at one or both? If so the air would be off from what the MAF was telling the ECM????

(i stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, so take what I say, with that in mind)
I checked all gaskets thouroughly.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #723
PQ
Booooosted.

Talked to Magnuson. Good info. I think it's the tune. He told me to ziptie the actuator open. Essintialy making it a NA system to drive it to a tuner. He says he believes it to be my catless, long tube system espec with teh intake I have.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #724
GSUNCSU
Watch This!

Drives: Super Charged 1SS/RS, M6, CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Talked to Magnuson. Good info. I think it's the tune. He told me to ziptie the actuator open. Essintialy making it a NA system to drive it to a tuner. He says he believes it to be my catless, long tube system espec with teh intake I have.
Have you found said tuner? and we got to find you an Easy Button.
K&N CAI, Wet Okole Seat Covers, MagnaFlow Street Perf. Ex. (Axle Back), MPD Hood, Gary's Customz ZL1 Fascia/Vented Fenders/Custom Stripes/Paint, AAC Afterburners/Fog Light Halos/Side Markers/Misc LEDs, Bee-Otch Air Freshener, Hurst Shifter and Line-Loc(APEX), RPI Splash Guards, MagnaCharger (Texas-Speed)(Installed by ME), Rx Catch Can and Breather, Billet Pulleys (SC2150), ARH Headers, LPE Twin Fuel Pump, Custom Blower Cam, Custom Tune TBArwhp, TBArwtorq, Boost Gauge and Single Pod (MTI)
GSUNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #725
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
This sounds like a conversation we had last night! LOL Glad you (maybe) have it figured out!!!!
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #726
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
This sounds like a conversation we had last night! LOL Glad you (maybe) have it figured out!!!!
Yup. Exactly. And if nothing else, when they get it on the computer he can tell me exactly what it's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
Have you found said tuner? and we got to find you an Easy Button.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #727
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
didn't we say something along these lines earlier? the engine's flowing more air than the tune knows what to do with. just make for daggum sure that if you're gonna drive on your N/A tune, you put your last set of injectors back in.

the last thing you want is for your bigger injectors to say "what... 80%?? okay!! "
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #728
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
didn't we say something along these lines earlier? the engine's flowing more air than the tune knows what to do with. just make for daggum sure that if you're gonna drive on your N/A tune, you put your last set of injectors back in.

the last thing you want is for your bigger injectors to say "what... 80%?? okay!! "
I think trailering it may be the best bet.