Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #1289
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Got back from my trip and figured I put my welder to work.

HMMMMM................. whats all that card board for? And whats that piece of steel running down the outside of the frame rail?

Stay tune......... I came up with and idea to reroute the water heater hoses where they wont be visible anymore . That was the easy part..... the hard part will be implementing the idea . Also came up with a way to reroute the fuel lines, brake lines, all the harness. The only thing left is the AC lines and I have some ideas. The goal is is to end up with just an engine in the bay.

I'm also thing a couple of gauges in mounted on the engine bay keeping with the mechanical industrial thyme might not be a bad idea......., HMMMM
Great job Nathan !!
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #1290
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
fantastic engine bay cleanups in this thread. Tons of work! Good job!
ARH 1-7/8" Headers and complete exhaust - NO cats!
Varraram CAI - Vmax throttle body, ATI 10% underdrive pulley
RPS Street Twin - MGW Shifter
3.91 gears + DSS 1000hp axles
PFADT - Stage 4 Camaro Road Racing Kit - 8" springs 325# and 600# - ZL Spec Sway bars - Strut Tower Brace - Camber plates.
CTSV front calipers - Hawk DTC 30 pads
Street: Forgestar F14 20x9 and 20x11, 275/315 Nitto Invo's, Track: TOYO R888 285/35/20 on 4 corners
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #1291
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
HMMMMM................. whats all that card board for? And whats that piece of steel running down the outside of the frame rail?

Attachment 401265

Stay tune......... I came up with and idea to reroute the water heater hoses where they wont be visible anymore . That was the easy part..... the hard part will be implementing the idea . Also came up with a way to reroute the fuel lines, brake lines, all the harness. The only thing left is the AC lines and I have some ideas. The goal is is to end up with just an engine in the bay.

I'm also thing a couple of gauges in mounted on the engine bay keeping with the mechanical industrial thyme might not be a bad idea......., HMMMM
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #1292
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Looks good Copper!

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #1293
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper98 View Post
Here is what my engine bay looks like -Thanks to all of you for the great explanations & pictures - GREAT THREAD!

PS. I still have lots more to go
Copper thanks for posting the pics......... adding it to the OP. Keep it up........ coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the future mods,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED View Post
Great job Nathan !!
EZ, I knew you'd appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Steiger when are you going to start? I guess I need to get some also,
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #1294
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Nathan, you are setting the bar HIGH!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #1295
copper98
Camaro 5 Muscle

Drives: 2012 CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Copper thanks for posting the pics......... adding it to the OP. Keep it up........ coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the future mods,

EZ, I knew you'd appreciate that.

Steiger when are you going to start? I guess I need to get some also,
There are many great threads but this is by far one of the best threads. I really appreciate everyone that has contributed!!!!!!!!!!!
Mods: Air Raid C.A.I., Custom Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Dyno Tuned , LPE 3.91 Gears, BMR Differential Bushings, R/X Oil Catch Can, X-Pipe, Borla Exhaust, MGW Shifter, Hawk-HPS, SS brake lines, BMR front & rear sway bars, BMR rear sway bar end links, Pedders front radius rod bushings, Spohn front sway bar end links, BMR rack/pinion bushing, BMR Coils 1" drop, BMR Trailing Arm, BMR Toe Rods, Pedders Sub-Frame bushings, BMR Sub-frame Connectors, BMR Driveshaft Tunnel Braces, GM Strut tower brace, custom painted bowties
copper98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #1296
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Nathan, you are setting the bar HIGH!
572HP Thanks, means a lot coming from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper98 View Post
There are many great threads but this is by far one of the best threads. I really appreciate everyone that has contributed!!!!!!!!!!!
Copper98 I'm glad it's help out and thanks for the positive feed back, I know we all appreciate it!

Work on it a little today. Spent most of the time running around getting the materials I needed. Than spent the rest of the time staring and thinking of different ideas on what to do.

The little time I did do some work, I made a mock up of the faux frame rail.

note how the cover will hide the three layers of overlapping panels on the lower section of the shock tower. I'm playing with the idea of continuing the panel up from the frame rail as one piece. Hence the reason I folded the lip up. I'm also thinking that I might not use the factory air box or very little. The passenger side frame rail area is looking pretty clutter free considering I removed most practically everything.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  132.7 KB

I also thinking of cutting off the lip on the filler panel. This would give it a cleaner flowing transition and also get rid of the factory weather striping which would clean it even more.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  73.6 KB

Does anybody have any idea why the factory hinges have this hook builted into them?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  83.1 KB

In this picture, you can see how it's hooks to the lower part of the hinge when the hood closes.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  56.9 KB

Well, I've done some research and it's there because our cars don't have a cowl, so the factory builds the hooks into the hinges to prevent the hood from flying back in the event of an accident, going into and through the wind shield and potentially decapitation.

With that said, for those billet hood hinges, I'd strongly recommend using hood pins. You'll be safer plus they look cool.

These are the ones I'm using from the Ring Brothers. http://www.ringbrothers.com/index.cfm

Name:  MustangHoodpinraw_large.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  37.0 KB

Using the pins will eliminate my need for the factory hood latch, so it's going in the junk pile and I will be closing out that area.

PS, I'm toying with the idea of create my own custom Ram Air intake. Moving the filter in front of the radiator. This would definitely clean up the bay. Stay tune, I'll see how far my ambitions takes me, LOL.

Last edited by Moreno1; 07-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #1297
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
These are the ones I'm using from the Ring Brothers. http://www.ringbrothers.com/index.cfm

Attachment 403873

Using the pins will eliminate my need for the factory hood latch, so it's going in the junk pile and I will be closing out that area.

PS, I'm toying with the idea of create my own custom Ram Air intake. Moving the filter in front of the radiator. This would definitely clean up the bay. Stay tune, I'll see how far my ambitions takes me, LOL.
THANK YOU! I have been looking for hood pins that have a protector that doesn't screw in but looks half way decent (and doesnt say ford on them).

Going to be ditching the stock hood latch (and cable, hardware, ect) and using hood pins with the CF hood I got. I am also looking into getting (or fabing my own version) of the ACS functional mail slot/rad support. (link)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #1298
laditee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Nice............
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #1299
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by laditee View Post
Nice............
Laditee post some pics of your engine here, you've done a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stache View Post
THANK YOU! I have been looking for hood pins that have a protector that doesn't screw in but looks half way decent (and doesnt say ford on them).

Going to be ditching the stock hood latch (and cable, hardware, ect) and using hood pins with the CF hood I got. I am also looking into getting (or fabing my own version) of the ACS functional mail slot/rad support. (link)
Hey Stache, it looks like your thinking and mine are in line. You wont go wrong with anything the Ring Brothers make, all their stuff is top shelf! I'm also going to remove all the hood latching mechanism.

As far as the CAI, I have been giving a lot of thought on how to create a stream line setup. I currently waiting for a C6 intake from Vararam. I'm going to be doing a some test fitting with it. I'm looking to cut off a portion of the rad support. This will allow run the intake under the support and above the radiator without a need to tilt the radiator forward. I'm also planning on hiding the radiator under the support, so you wont see it. To fill the radiator, I'm putting a filler cap in the middle of the upper radiator hose line.

Name:  341_340_billet_radiator_filter__filler.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  105.6 KB

By the way, I've research and the rad support isn't a structural piece, it's just meant to hold the radiator and head lights. So modifying it wont hurt the torsional rigidity of the car.

Here are a few example to give you an idea.

Name:  SBCFP1020.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  154.1 KB

Name:  V1026.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  PMLS9.RS-1.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  230.8 KB

Name:  DSC07308.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  31104020-w-large.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #1300
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
I like the last pic of the two filters

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #1301
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
The hook on the hood hinge is for accidents. Front end collision would cause hood to pop up
Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #1302
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
workin on the same thing with a c6 intake , i just messed around atm but i think it will work. thinking thats a winter project as i have to much going on atm,

also who makes a good heater hose relocation kit , i know there are a few out there now

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote