Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
jstein

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Missing air filter on a 01 Cavalier

So I went to Jiffy Lube to get my oil changed and they were "supposed" to replace the air filter but took the old one out and never put a new one in and didnt screw down the plastic casing stuff. My question is could that have ruined the throttle body? The check engine light came on and the car started idling very high. Could that have been caused by the missing air filter? I was told trash got down into there and caused the damage. Any thoughts on this would be great. I know Jiffy Lube says it is crazy for anyone to even think a missing air filter could cause a problem. Thanks!!!
jstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Yeah, the light could have easily been caused by the missing filter and open lid. The sensor in the air ducting is pretty sensitive to how much air flows through there.
Put in a new filter and clear the light. (If you don't have a code reader then most major parts stores will read the codes and clear the light for free.) After that see if the light comes back on.

I doubt your throttle body has any damage and you probably didn't suck anything into your intake. So, just try what I suggested and keep an eye on things.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
DON'T go to Jiffy Lube! My wife has a horror story from there. Oil change, and the filter came off while driving. JL told her to drive it back and they'd put another filter on. She did. (She didn't know it would wreck the engine) JL put a new filter on and dumped some more oil in it. Of course, that wrecks the engine.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
jstein

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Ya Kwik Car didn't put oil in my dad's old truck and well oh "we're sorry we will be right to your house with the oil" so I guess back to doin all the work myself.
jstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Zhawk
Iroc's Love Slave

Drives: 3 Camaros, 1 Vette, a Buick, & a 57
Yeah, I prefer to do most of my own maintenance. After we got our 2K Vette I had to go out and get a low profile jack just so I could do oil changes on it.

Has anyone seen my sanity? I am hiding from it and don't want it sneaking up on me!
Zhawk is offline   Reply With Quote