Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Aftermarket Hood question

I want to start off with saying that I don't want this to turn into a "Hood Cowl Induction" vs "Ram Air" thread. I've just got a few questions about how a particular hood works as the site rep is no longer available for comment.

So... here's a couple pictures of the hood

Top (finished)

Bottom (unfinished)

So...

I know that the air comes in the scoop and where it goes or what it does after is a bit of a mystery to me .

I apologize for the lack of knowledge here but my automotive knowledge is lacking especially in the dept of aftermarket or performance parts. I do have to say that the workings of a hood cowl induction system are a bit easier to understand, although completed pics of the underside on the above hood might help as well.

Thanks in response .
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro

Looks good..

If yours was an SS, thank you for covering up the 'mailslot'.

Some people didn't cover it up and it looked retarded to be honest..

It looks good like this!

Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-Maro View Post

Looks good..

If yours was an SS, thank you for covering up the 'mailslot'.

Some people didn't cover it up and it looked retarded to be honest..

It looks good like this!

I'm sure that RyanDenos89 appreciates your apprciation of his car but what I'm trying to figure out here before I buy it or any other kind of hood is how the airflow works with this particular hood
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
I'm sure that RyanDenos89 appreciates your apprciation of his car but what I'm trying to figure out here is how the airflow works with this hood
It may not have anywhere the air flor goes.. it may just blow onto the engine bay..

Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
daphatgrant
June '10

The way it looks is that it has both hood cowl induction and ram air. Like I said above I understand how hood cowl induction works but this ram air is throwing a wrench at me, lol. Is this hood missing some duct work that would direct the incoming air into the intake? Regardless what are the openings (yet to be cut out) for? Sorry for being persistent with this but I have trouble buying something when I don't understand how it works . This hood is the one that was being promoted by youngmedic as the "devastator hood" and is very similar to the one made by Revolution.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Either the duct work is worked into the fiberglass or they do not have any. My Lingenfelter hood that is ram air like yours does not have duct work either.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
This hood lets the air into the engine compartment when moving and judging by the holes is supposed to draft it out when setting still. I do not see any provision for holes in the back by the windshield to accomplish this and there is really not enough room there as they have not raised the inner structure to meet up with the back of the scoop. I should be fine as long as you do not mind getting your engine soaked when you get caught in the rain. I personally will not design a hood this way any more. I prefer the seamless design of the air ductwork molded to the hood underside so that water can drain before it gets to your filter. There are other provisions in our hoods that channel the water to the drain holes.
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
daphatgrant
June '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com View Post
This hood lets the air into the engine compartment when moving and judging by the holes is supposed to draft it out when setting still. I do not see any provision for holes in the back by the windshield to accomplish this and there is really not enough room there as they have not raised the inner structure to meet up with the back of the scoop. I should be fine as long as you do not mind getting your engine soaked when you get caught in the rain. I personally will not design a hood this way any more. I prefer the seamless design of the air ductwork molded to the hood underside so that water can drain before it gets to your filter. There are other provisions in our hoods that channel the water to the drain holes.
Yeah, it's not making a whole lot of sense to me in regards to how it works. It looks like it has vents drawn on the back side which I would think would act somewhat as a hood cowl induction, but that would work against the ram air so... Anyways, I'm continually moving towards a hood cowl induction hood, maybe a large one .
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Blood

Drives: 2003 Silverado z71 1500
Ok guys, who makes this hood scoop but not in carbon fiber, its the exact one I am looking for but I CANT FIND IT!!!! Please help its not the suncoast one, the suncoast one looks diff.
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote