Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Burnt_RS

Drives: '10 1LT/RS
Cool Does anyone have a V6 set up by SPi?

Does anyone have a v6 setup by SPi (shifted perceptions inc.) out of Oakville, Ontario, Canada? They have a few v6 performance levels (1 and 2, that Im aware of). They will custom build a kit for your needs or preference including intake, exhaust and headers, tune, etc plus dyno the car for custom tune. I'm looking at this route, but would like to see if anyone on here has any experience with them working on a v6. (there are a few SS guys that have had work done by SPi, and from what I've heard/seen, they all seem very happy and the cars sound MEAN! Any idea of HP numbers before/after, depending on what I do?
Burnt_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Burnt_RS

I guess I dont mind if any SS videos show up in here, haha
Old 11-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I would like to here more also.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
CROOPS34

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metalic 2SS/RS
I dropped by a few weeks ago to see the shop when I was in the area. I'm probably going to have my SS done next spring with the stage 2 and the Z28 package. They are great guys and really know their stuff when it comes to Camaros. I wanted to know what the car would sound like with the stage 2 and they had no hesitation to take me to the back room and fire up the shop car even though it was all tucked away and covered. They are by far the most knoledgable it seems of the different shops I've been to this summer to research where I will get the work done. I would say it's probably a pretty safe bet for a V6 as well. Dropping in to the shop would be a great place to start.
CROOPS34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
DINGO

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I have the stage 1 for my SS. Was going to get the Z28 package, but Santa got me the PFADT performance stage 2 kit..... and SPI will be installing it for me..I hope santa has the trailing arm's for my stocking
I am 100% satisfied with SPI and what they did to my "baby". I recommend them to all i meet.
Thanks again SPI

DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
Still grinning ear to ear.
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
Burnt_RS

They seem to know their stuff pretty well. I sent them an email, just waiting to hear back. I was impressed with their shop and obvious knowledge of V8 perfermance when I was down in Sept. for the Cayuga trip. I had fun, but my car needs to go faster and sound a bit better doing it (not louder, my axle-back takes care of that, haha)

My only concern is that engine warranty stuff with a tune. The 6.2L is proven, not sure if the 3.6L is yet. I don't want to find out the hard way.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
SPI is the best shop i have ever had any contact with. They give you straight informative answers and theyre clearly car guys who love what they do. I would recommend them 150% to anyone.
As for the v6, in terms of the tune, just in general the v6 is highly optimized from factory, meaning you wont see much gains at all with a tune.
You can firm up shift points and maybe get a few more hp, but it is definitly not worth voiding warranty....for now
For serious mods, i'd wait about a year and see what the v6 can do, and how much it will cost and weigh it against an SS in terms of costs. The difference will probably shock you, in a good way.
For exhaust, i would highly recommend exhaust (SOLO) as driving it will be 1000 times more fun. Permagrin every time i start it. Headers will give you a deep sound if you go with the shorties, and a nasty rasp with the longtubes. High flow cats bring in good hp but cost quite a bit and injen true CAI for sure if you want power. Im not sure what SPI has now in terms for the v6, but when i spoke to them before, the tune didnt seem worth it. As for now with all these mods, i could be wrong so i hope no one takes this the wrong way.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Burnt_RS

I was referring to a tune, after headers, intake and the rest of the exhaust were added. From what I've read in the V6 performance forum/threads, a tune is needed if I were to run long tubes, and apparently it's where you will make up quite a bit of power after the mods.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_RS View Post
I was referring to a tune, after headers, intake and the rest of the exhaust were added. From what I've read in the V6 performance forum/threads, a tune is needed if I were to run long tubes, and apparently it's where you will make up quite a bit of power after the mods.
I think quite a few members have done it now, in terms of the tune after headers and so on. Not sure what the gains were though.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
010 Camaro SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Good to hear any feedback...Been talking to Alain this spring
gonna do at least Stage 2...Lots of good feedback on this primo
shop...See you in March - April...
010 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
The bang for the buck is in the custom tune. Any shop can bolt-on hardware. The gains are there but severely muted by the stock tune. Tune the car and suddenly it's a totally different animal. Any shop can slap in a canned tune (a-la Diablo) or one that has been prepped based on a shop car or maybe even done by another shop. But believe me, no 2 cars are the same. No 2 set-ups are the same. We proved that with my car. You need a custom tune to get the most out of your car and your set-up. You also need a custom tune to have it perform the way YOU want it. And most importantly, you want someone that has tons of experience doing those custom tunes on your car. SPi has that and I personally don't know anyone else that can do a better job. Period.

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
CanadianCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #13
Burnt_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
The bang for the buck is in the custom tune. Any shop can bolt-on hardware. The gains are there but severely muted by the stock tune. Tune the car and suddenly it's a totally different animal. Any shop can slap in a canned tune (a-la Diablo) or one that has been prepped based on a shop car or maybe even done by another shop. But believe me, no 2 cars are the same. No 2 set-ups are the same. We proved that with my car. You need a custom tune to get the most out of your car and your set-up. You also need a custom tune to have it perform the way YOU want it. And most importantly, you want someone that has tons of experience doing those custom tunes on your car. SPi has that and I personally don't know anyone else that can do a better job. Period.

Thanks Scott,

From what you and a few others have said, I figure SPi really knows what they are doing with the 8s. Have you heard of / seen any 6s that they have worked on? The only info I have on the kits they can put together for the 6s, is what's on their website. Im gonna have to call them to find out more. Anyone in particular that I should talk to at SPi?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #14
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post