Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
11Huggerwhite
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS supercharged
Is race gas ok

I always put 100octane race gas in my 2008 ZO6 that is modded and it runs better than it on 93. I want to put race gas in my 13 LS3 SS but don't know if it will hurt the stock motor and internals after awhile. If anyone can tell me if its safe or not it'd be great. Thank you
11Huggerwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Is the car tuned for 100 octane?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
bucketobolts

Drives: 2010 2SS
The only way it will damage the car is if you run leaded fuel. 100-no lead should not hurt anything. You can do more damage with E85 than the 100-no lead.
bucketobolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Wasting a bunch of money unless you have raised the compression enough and bumped the timing up to make use of it. The higher the octaine, the slower the burn, the less volatile and the less energy released per explosive event. So a engine that the 10.5-10.7:1 CR will make the most power on 93, will slow down on 100 unless tuned for it and the CR bumped up to be able to use it.

It is all in the higher octaine giving the detonation protection a lower octaine does not. 87 is the most volatile thus the incendence of detonation (preigniton) is higher from say a glowing carbon deposit, etc.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Wasting a bunch of money unless you have raised the compression enough and bumped the timing up to make use of it. The higher the octaine, the slower the burn, the less volatile and the less energy released per explosive event. So a engine that the 10.5-10.7:1 CR will make the most power on 93, will slow down on 100 unless tuned for it and the CR bumped up to be able to use it.

It is all in the higher octaine giving the detonation protection a lower octaine does not. 87 is the most volatile thus the incendence of detonation (preigniton) is higher from say a glowing carbon deposit, etc.

This.

Even your vette shouldn't NEED it unless it's been eavily modded and tuned to run on 100 oct. Just because it runs better with it doesn't say much. You could be getting crappy gas.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Waste of money or not, race gas sure smells good.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Huggerwhite View Post
I always put 100octane race gas in my 2008 ZO6 that is modded and it runs better than it on 93. I want to put race gas in my 13 LS3 SS but don't know if it will hurt the stock motor and internals after awhile. If anyone can tell me if its safe or not it'd be great. Thank you
No offense to everyone else but I use 103 and 109 with dramatic difference...
The car as I expected adjusted on its own after the first launch.....

I have had no issues and a lot of fun.....
Runs smoother even after going back to 93.....

Think about it like this.....
The car recognizes when you put 89 in it and the computer adjusts.....
Why would it not adjust for higher octane.....
Just make sure it is unleaded gasoline......

My car started running better after using the higher octane...
A lot of it has to do with what else you have added to the car.....

Here are a couple of links on the topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252375

Gaining Horsepower By Pulling the Fuses In A Late Model Camaro
Added Jul 11, 2011, Under: Camaro

If you are new to owning a 2010+ Camaro SS equipped with the L99 or LS3 V8 engine, then you may not be aware of a simple trick that could unleash a few extra horsepower.
There are two specific spark timing tables housed in the memory of the vehicle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM). One is used for cars running high octane fuel and the other for when the vehicle is using low octane fuels. Whenever you drive the vehicle, the ECM is constantly making decisions based on the data it receives from all of the sensors in the engine and exhaust. Over time, the ECM will set your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) to the low octane tables.

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/vehi...-model-camaro/

Sunoco: http://www.sunocoracingfuels.com/en/
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Baltimorejohn1

VP100 (aka StreetBlaze 100)

Oxygenated with ethanol, this CARB-legal fuel is specifically engineered for high-performance street cars including sport compacts, muscle cars, street rods and more. It's environmentally friendly and street legal throughout the U.S. In applications with anything from 4- to 12-cylinders or engines equipped with a turbocharger, supercharger or nitrous oxide system (NOS), VP100 will generate optimum power and performance. In turbocharged or supercharged applications, it allows an increase in boost without fear of detonation. NOS users can also leverage their higher octane ratings to step up to a more powerful nitrous oxide system. Dyno tests with a turbocharged application proved VP100 generates up to 14% more horsepower compared to premium grade 91 octane unleaded gasoline. Designed for use in cast-iron head engines with CRs up to 13:1 and aluminum head engines up to 14:1. Works well on the latest generation of electronically-controlled turbo engines. Contains no metal compounds and won't harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Orange
• Motor Octane 96
• R+M/2: 100
• Specific Gravity: .746 at 60° F

MotorSport 109™

In engines that can run on pump gas, MS109 is a direct replacement that produces more power than any other unleaded fuel - up to 5% more than premium unleaded. Recommended for applications with up to25 lbs of boost and naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to 15:1. Compared to other unleaded fuels, MS109 offers better detonation protection as well.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Clear
• Motor Octane 101
• Research Octane: 109
• R+M/2: 105
• Specific Gravity: .722 at 60° F

http://www.racedayproduct.com/UNLEADED_FUELS.html
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
No offense to everyone else but I use 103 and 109 with dramatic difference...
The car as I expected adjusted on its own after the first launch.....

I have had no issues and a lot of fun.....
Runs smoother even after going back to 93.....

Think about it like this.....
The car recognizes when you put 89 in it and the computer adjusts.....
Why would it not adjust for higher octane.....
Just make sure it is unleaded gasoline......

My car started running better after using the higher octane...
A lot of it has to do with what else you have added to the car.....

Here are a couple of links on the topic: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252375

Gaining Horsepower By Pulling the Fuses In A Late Model Camaro
Added Jul 11, 2011, Under: Camaro

If you are new to owning a 2010+ Camaro SS equipped with the L99 or LS3 V8 engine, then you may not be aware of a simple trick that could unleash a few extra horsepower.
There are two specific spark timing tables housed in the memory of the vehicle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM). One is used for cars running high octane fuel and the other for when the vehicle is using low octane fuels. Whenever you drive the vehicle, the ECM is constantly making decisions based on the data it receives from all of the sensors in the engine and exhaust. Over time, the ECM will set your Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) to the low octane tables.

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/vehi...-model-camaro/

Sunoco: http://www.sunocoracingfuels.com/en/

The low octane is for 87 and the high being for 91/93. There has to be hundreds of threads about it. There is no 100 octane table.

Since you say your car makes more power on 100 what did it dyno on 93 vs 100. Surely you have documentation for such a claim.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Baltimorejohn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
The low octane is for 87 and the high being for 91/93. There has to be hundreds of threads about it. There is no 100 octane table.

Since you say your car makes more power on 100 what did it dyno on 93 vs 100. Surely you have documentation for such a claim.
Dude who are you that I need to prove anything to you when you never proved what you said to me.......

I also brought documentation above from others in the industry....

Camaro is sold in Europe quite a bit and they use 100 and 109 octane over there.....
So you are saying they tune each camaro going to Europe different before they go to Europe.....?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i have to agree with ss on this, every big name ls tuner i have spoke with on this..i won,t drop names , they read the boards, have said consistantly that running 103 octane will not hurt anything , but will do absoutely nothing unless your car is tuned for it...at least 4 of these tuners have tuned probably 500 plus ls engines and could be in the 1000,s, also each tuner has put out 1000hp plus on these engines with no complaints..so i have to assume they know there sh*t..i plan on running 93 octane in my 1100hp build for street driving, but i do have a 2 gallon fuel cell with race fuel, so that i can change the tune and activate the nos with the fuel cell and shut down the 93 octane
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
FastRaceCars
Drag Racer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Higher octane fuels will always generate more horsepower because the slower burn rate of the fuel allows energy to be transfered for a longer duration during the combustion cycle. The ignition timing will need to be adjusted to benefit though.

Last edited by FastRaceCars; 12-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
FastRaceCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Placebo effect boys - HA HA !!!

100 octane HAS LESS ENERGY per gallon than 93/91/87. Only useful in a purpose built engine. Your 93 Octane tuned Camaro will dyno lower if you put race fuel in it.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Baltimorejohn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
VP100 (aka StreetBlaze 100)

Oxygenated with ethanol, this CARB-legal fuel is specifically engineered for high-performance street cars including sport compacts, muscle cars, street rods and more. It's environmentally friendly and street legal throughout the U.S. In applications with anything from 4- to 12-cylinders or engines equipped with a turbocharger, supercharger or nitrous oxide system (NOS), VP100 will generate optimum power and performance. In turbocharged or supercharged applications, it allows an increase in boost without fear of detonation. NOS users can also leverage their higher octane ratings to step up to a more powerful nitrous oxide system. Dyno tests with a turbocharged application proved VP100 generates up to 14% more horsepower compared to premium grade 91 octane unleaded gasoline. Designed for use in cast-iron head engines with CRs up to 13:1 and aluminum head engines up to 14:1. Works well on the latest generation of electronically-controlled turbo engines. Contains no metal compounds and won't harm catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Orange
• Motor Octane 96
• R+M/2: 100
• Specific Gravity: .746 at 60° F

MotorSport 109™

In engines that can run on pump gas, MS109 is a direct replacement that produces more power than any other unleaded fuel - up to 5% more than premium unleaded. Recommended for applications with up to25 lbs of boost and naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to 15:1. Compared to other unleaded fuels, MS109 offers better detonation protection as well.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Clear
• Motor Octane 101
• Research Octane: 109
• R+M/2: 105
• Specific Gravity: .722 at 60° F

http://www.racedayproduct.com/UNLEADED_FUELS.html
Above is a quote from VP fuels:

The original post asked this question:

"I want to put race gas in my 13 LS3 SS but don't know if it will hurt the stock motor and internals after awhile. If anyone can tell me if its safe or not it'd be great. Thank you "

End Quote

So being I have used it quite a bit I answered stating my experience using it with results being no adverse effects and lots of fun......

Then provided quotes from those in the industry with links to their information......
100 octane it used throughout the world and legal in 50 states in the US....