Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
CallMeWonder

Drives: Mercedes E350
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Well, he didn't say how many drinks he had. If only 2 , he would be legal and ok most likely.
I took drivers edd recently, they said it can be legal......but is it safe?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Well, I didn't jump on him because there are people who will have a beer or two and not drive right away.

I will say this. I've NEVER drunk-driven. EVER. The few times I drink every year, I'll drink one drink right away and have the entire meal (1+ hour) to have any effect wear off.

I'm a big guy, and when I was drinking in college, a fifth of 151 didn't phase me much when I drank it in an hour with my buddies who also had a fifth of the same. They were on the floor, or praying to the porcelian gods...I was up, walking and helping the RA try to find these guys that evening. My dad was an alchoholic, and I pretty much stopped drinking after that event because I knew that if I kept drinking, I'd end up like my dad.

I see nothing wrong with a drink or two if you allow time for the effect to wear off before going driving, though. But, if your BAC is above the limit and you drive, I'm of the opinion that you need jail time for a month for the first offense. 3 months for the second, and 6 months or a year for the 3rd.

I have NO compassion for drunk drivers because my high school girlfriend was killed by one back in 1979.

Just putting some perspective on this, and this isnt directed at the OP, since it sounds like it's likely his BAC was below the limit.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO RYDE View Post

If I had more to drink, and was not in my right mind, I would have had my 10 year old daughter dropped off at the watering hole to drive me home.
Better her to get a ticket for not having a licence, than me getting a DUI.
I actually have some experience in this department. There were a few times in my early teenage years that I drove my dad home after he had been drinking and me not having a license. While not the smartest idea, it gave me plenty of learning time and the only time I got pulled over (for rolling through a stop sign) the cop told me to be careful on my way home.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #18
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Wow the reading comprehension of some on this board is horrible. Every thread some ding dong who doesn't read the whole post jumps to conclusions.

Cool story dude, I hope I have similar luck if I get pulled over.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #19
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver1 View Post
Cool story minus the drinking and driving. That's stupid.
that.

My rule is (and your's should be too): ONE AND DONE. (Drink one and you are done driving for the rest of the day / night)

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
My rule is (and your's should be too): ONE AND DONE. (Drink one and you are done driving for the rest of the day / night)
I will continue to have a glass or two of Merlot with my dinner and will not consider driving myself home to be any more dangerous than usual. Your rule is too absolute and ignores important factors like body w8, passage of time and food consumption.

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!

Last edited by mhood; 08-28-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS View Post
that.

Thousands of people would be alive each year if everyone followed this rule.

How many families have been ruined by drunk drivers killing a father or mother?

All of those drivers probably thought they "just had a couple" too.

Good rule my friend. One and done. Anything else and it's just excuses for putting other peoples lives in danger.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Hendu

Drives: 2SS 45th Anniv LS3
If I remember it right from motorcycle class. It takes about an hour for the average person to burn a drink. One drink is like 1.5 oz of alcohol. That was like 1 beer, a glass of wine, or one shot (at most bars that is all that's in a mixed drink).

That's like 3-4 beers to be legally drunk iirc.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
If I remember it right from motorcycle class. It takes about an hour for the average person to burn a drink. One drink is like 1.5 oz of alcohol. That was like 1 beer, a glass of wine, or one shot (at most bars that is all that's in a mixed drink).

That's like 3-4 beers to be legally drunk iirc.
You are correct. Which is why on the very few occasions where I'll have a drink, I get it before my meal, drink it pretty quickly...then enjoy the meal for an hour+ before I even think of leaving.

I only hope that those trying to justify driving while drunk (I'll use the BAC level as a guide here) never kill somebody else. Frankly, I have no problems with them offing themselves by running into a tree on their own. The problem is, more often than not, they take someone else out and then survive.

Seriously, do you want something like this on your concience? The following picture is meant to be educational, and was a drunk driver in Mexico that ran into a bike race.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #24
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADIO SS View Post
I hope all of you who really jumped on him lead your life as an example to us all. Your stellar lives make you a role model for all of us. And surely you would openly admit if you were not.

The guy made a judgement call and hopefully was prepared to live with the consequences.

On the surface, I agree it appears many of us would not do this - or at least tell anyone they did.
I never said I haven't done it. I said it was stupid. Was I stupid? Hell yeah. But, because I was ignorant enough to do it in the past, I should condone the behavior? THAT is borderline insane.

And trust me, you are NEVER "prepared" to suffer the consequences if something happens.
Everyone does stupid things. It's the ones that think they can always get away with it that bother me. I used to be there. Scary.

So, have fun! Don't drink and drive.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #25
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
If you knew you were going to catch grief for posting the story, then why do it?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
Newold memories

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS
you dont have a drinking problem. you have a decision problem... You made bad ones....4 beers in 3 1/2 hours depending on weight, size and other factors could ruin your life. as well as that of your family and others....Strong opponent of DUI in that I have seen its consequences first hand way to many times.....Having your daughter in your car would be a couple of nasty charges over the dui also....FYI.

Alomost as bad as your decision to do it was to admit it on this board, or anywhere for that matter. probably the worst was going to the bar instead of being with your daughter. If you have to drink, do it at home....please.....for everyone else's sake....
2010 2SS/RS M6 LS3: K&N CAI, Eibach Pro Lowering Kit, Heritage Grill, Ceramic Tint, GM Performance Borla Exhaust, Hertz/Arc Audio Sound System, MPD1 Rear Spoiler, Rennen C-10 Wheels (20x9 w/ 275/40/20 front & 20x10.5 w/ 295/40/20 rear Continental DSW Extreme contact tires) Hurst Short Throw Shifter.

Visit us @ WWW.Facebook.com/SacramentoValleyCamaros
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #27
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
You are correct. Which is why on the very few occasions where I'll have a drink, I get it before my meal, drink it pretty quickly...then enjoy the meal for an hour+ before I even think of leaving.

I only hope that those trying to justify driving while drunk (I'll use the BAC level as a guide here) never kill somebody else. Frankly, I have no problems with them offing themselves by running into a tree on their own. The problem is, more often than not, they take someone else out and then survive.

Seriously, do you want something like this on your concience? The following picture is meant to be educational, and was a drunk driver in Mexico that ran into a bike race.

However, even drunk this could have been intentional in mexico.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #28
Nightfall
"To Punish And Enslave"

Drives: B E RS GBA #72541 3564 CC 220 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

C.A.M.A.R.O- Constantly Adding Modifications Addiction Relentless Obsession
90% canadian 10% mexican 100% american muscle :flag2:
Closed Thread